Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Enclosed trailer flooring

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enclosed trailer flooring

I should be picking up my new to me but used trailer tommorrow. It is an 04 Rance Aluminum 7x14 motorcylce trailer with less than 1000 miles on it. Right now it has just the wood floor and I am wondering what would be a good covering for it to help keep mud and junk off the wood. I have thought about using the 12x12 vinyl tiles and making my own design. Just not sure if they will hold up to the weather changes. http://www.rancealuminum.com/ecycle714.htm

Old 01-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Range Rover

I would just leave the wood and put a wood sealer on it, like thompsen deck sealer...... Tiles will get slick when you put mud and mud on them and i don't know how they would hold up with 4 wheelers driving on them......

Old 01-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do the stick on tiles - too many seams for water to get through. this will either cause the tiles to lift up or trap water underneath and start rotting the plywood flooring. If you really want some kind vinyl flooring, go with a solid sheet of vinyl, not the tiles.

The best coating is to spray it with a truck bed liner. We used an epoxy garage floor system in my brothers enclosed, it's holding up fine. The suggestion of water sealer will also work, however it will need to be reapplied periodically. Even a regular flooring grade paint will work, but it too will tend to wear off under the tires.

Jaybee

Old 01-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

If you use a good quality paint, add some sand into it for traction.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Range Rover

When I bought my enclosed car trailer a couple years ago I went through the same thing. I found some polyurathane (SP??) deck paint at Home Dept. It has held up just fine. It does tend to "keep" marks from the car's tires, mainly where they rest during travel. If I had it to do over again I might have gone wiht a little darker color. I chose a light grey figuring it would help keep the inside of the triler nice and bright, which it does. It seems to me could have gotten it premixed with some sand, which, after the fact, I should have done, or just mixed some in. If I get water on the deck it gets a little slick. OH, yeah, make sure you prime it with something before you paint!!

Brent

Old 01-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Trailblazer

How about a bedliner? It's waterproof and most styles would provide some traction when wet due to the texture. Also remember that you can mix in sand or something similar to the bedliner or paint to provide a little more traction when wet and muddy.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

I'm writing a how-to article on how to apply Herculiner (like Rhino lining) to your trailer floor. You can buy Herculiner at Menards and you apply it with a roller. We did our trailer two years ago and the floor has held up perfectly. You can even spray it off with a hose to clean it.

The article will be published in about a month.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We applied Herculiner to an open bed trailer a couple years ago and it is still holding strong, It will give you great traction in slippery weather. I have a friend who likes to one up us and he had Rhino Liner sprayed in his enclosed trailer, Well if you have the money that is the way to go.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

debeck, Do you need to prime the floor before rolling on the Herculiner?

Old 01-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Rhino lining is the way to go, if you can afford it of course.
A bit spendy for me and my 25 foot trailer, yikes..

I used some heavier duty exterior paint, with anti-slip stuff in it. That worked pretty well, we'll see how durable it ends up being.

Checkour local hardware storesfor different options.
The other day, I saw some pretty good different options. I wish I could remember the names of the stuff.
It was similar to the Hurculiner I think. It was a ruberized type of coating and/or had rubberized stuff in it.

Go spend some time looking, it will be worth it.
There is also stuff for boats that you can use, that works pretty good as well.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Enclosed trailer flooring