Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Harbor Freight Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harbor Freight Trailers

Right. whatever. more like 50mph if that. Dont bother responding I'm not watching this thread no more.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, mine is a sno bear and I did pretty much the same but I just dont' think they are necessarily designed for long hauls. I knew a chick who hauled a Yami Warrior in one behind her Honda CIVIC LOL.

Old 03-17-2006, 05:21 AM
Trailblazer

now thats funny

Old 03-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

This is not meant to be a personal dig, but I constantly see guys willing to spend 7 to 8 grand on a new ATV, maybe even two or more.. so you have maybe a 15 to 20 grand investment in machines, then they go cheap on their trailers... I just don't get it...

Spend the bucks for a reliable trailer that you know will handle your loads at any speed, that won't rattle itself to pieces, and can stand up to all the abuse you will dish out. Otherwise, you might just lose the whole deal...

As for wheel bearings... I don't care who;s name is on the side, every time you use it, lube the bearings.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
This is not meant to be a personal dig, but I constantly see guys willing to spend 7 to 8 grand on a new ATV, maybe even two or more.. so you have maybe a 15 to 20 grand investment in machines, then they go cheap on their trailers... I just don't get it...

Spend the bucks for a reliable trailer that you know will handle your loads at any speed, that won't rattle itself to pieces, and can stand up to all the abuse you will dish out. Otherwise, you might just lose the whole deal...

As for wheel bearings... I don't care who;s name is on the side, every time you use it, lube the bearings.
my thoughts exactly. Kind of reminds me of the saying "if you have a $5 head, buy a $5 helmet".
15" + tires gives peace of mind well worth the money imo.

Old 03-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer

a person can buy 12" car tires as well thats what i did and rims that fit the trailer. i have peace of mind

Old 03-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

all these comments are bullcrap about the smaller tires,

i have a 12" version of this trailer, my trailer at this point since i bought it in 04, has over 14,000 miles on it now. 1 trip alone was over 1200 miles one way with it, at 75-80 the whole way down and back. don't know what makes you guyz think that a longer trip is more risky then a short one, if you ever actually checked bearings, you will notice after about 15 minutes of highway driving they don't get any warmer or colder, hell unless my bearings need grease my hubs are cold. im still on my original bearings, which will be changed out this year, my damn car has 13 inch tires, and has seen 132 mph, so your telling me 1 inch is going to make them dangerous come on, i'd like to see support for any of these supposed claims

mind you, my trailer had seen around 105 mph with it loaded with about 800 pounds on it (quad) when i got pissed at a guy running slow in the left lane then he sped up as i went to pass, bearings were warm at that point but there was no damage later when i tore them apart for a regreasing. i realize this was dumb, but shows there not going to just blow up

hell i know a guy witha HD trailer, that does sit at 90 the entire time he tows, i can't even keep up with him, i just tow 72, which is too fast anyway

so to the original poster, most of these people are pulling comments out of their butt, and have never delt with these trailers, you never hear anything with all the snowmobile trailers that have 6 and 8 inch wheels on them, guess they are just special

Old 03-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: watzupdog
I was looking at getting one of those cheap trailer, even looked at lowes and homedepot. But I guess the decision was made for me when lowes and homedepot raised there prices by $100 bucks across the board. It made the one I wanted only $75 more. Its made by a company that makes there on trailors and has 15 inch tires and has a wood deck and a Y style hitch. Those T style worry me a little. Dont know why they just do. Anyway. I looked around alot and this summer I'll get a better made trailor that I can feel comfortable at 70 miles an hr. Those 12 inch tires I hear is only rated at 55mph. Where I ride is on my way to work and I tried to drive 55mph to work one day to see how it would feel driving that slow. As slow as I would have to go with a trailor in tow with only 12inch tires. It sucked.
my book says 45mph is my limit, only time my trailer see's 45 is on the on ramp getting on the highway. i normally tow at 72-75mph, for over 163 every weekend. it has also seen 80 for over 4 hours no problem, its a safety liability nothing more, last time i checked the tires, i did some research and were rated around 87 mph max speed, mine personally have seen over 100

i'll even be nice and tell you ever single problem i have had, i have no need to lie

#1 the grease on the bearings that comes when u get the trailer is crap, wipe it off and use a good grease, i didn't and they heated up pretty fast in the first 500 miles, when i regreasef them, the grease was almost gone.

#2 there are zerk fittings on the hub, they are worthless and i broke 2 trying to lub, you must remove the bearings to get the races filled, do not use the zerks you will regret it

#3 unless you get the 1800 pound model the trailer is foldable and tiltable, if you have plans of using a atv and driving it up onto the trailer, and then slamming the front down, you will break the a a-arms, my buddy did. you can obviously see the tongue can't handle 1000 pounds even for more then a couple times, at this point i left it locked in the down position, and built ramps off the back

#4 electrical wiring kit is a joke, they give you 0 places to run the wire, 3 times i had to redo the electrical due to problem, the 3rd and final time, i permentaly insulated wire using clear vinyl tubing, and have had 0 problem since

#5 the wheel caster used to fold up the trailer are worthless, if you plan on going even 4 inches off the paved road, don't even think of putting them on.

#6 the paint on the trailer is weak, mine faded fast within a year it turned pink, just got done paintin with rustoleum and it looks brand new.

i think thats it, on a side note it will fit 32 pallets in it just fine, lol

any questions please let me know

Old 03-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

and the kicker of it all, i tow it with a 93 subaru legacy, with cruise control, without being able to lock out o/d, according to some i am just crazy, mind you i get 20mpg, towing and 24-25 mpg, drafting a semi. but i have nothing to prove to no one, my setup works and does what i want.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Littlebill, you think that is nuts? When I was much younger, I pulled a 14 ft double wide enclosed snowmobile trailer with those tiny wheels with a Pinto. I regularly exceeded the then 65 MPH speed limit until I blew a tire once. I nearly swapped ends with the trailer a couple times before I got her whoa'd down. Not smart towing a big trailer that far outweighed my tow vehicle with 2 bikes and enough gear to last a week in it.

I am smarter now.

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Trailers