Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

trailer security?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer security?

I just bought an ATV trailer and want to do my best to keep it from walking away - mostly when it's NOT hooked to the truck. I realize anything is just a deterrent, but am curious what others use.

Here's what I'm using...
http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/ap...ub_cat_id=D37A
http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/cl...ss_id=CA_TS_03 (second from the bottom)

Thanks

Old 04-16-2006, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider

IMO ... you need something that goes around a tire and frame of the trailer ... hopefuly something LOUD in color so you don' forget about it.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

I agree. I wa loking fro something on-line last nige - like a tire/wheel lock - sort of those anti-tow things for cars.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

A coupler lock is the most common deterrent:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...=DF&cm_ite=tow

Old 04-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

I use a security cable, one of those that is really hard to cut with a saw or bolt cutter, thru the wheel and around the spring. One on each side plus a hitch lock that covers the whole hitch opening. I also use one of the cables to lock the trailer to the pickup when towing it. Started doing this after I heard about the guy that had his boat stolen at a rest stop. They just unhooked it and took off while he was sleeping.

We only have to do this when we are away from the farm as there the dogs tend to take chunks out of wrongdoers. All the yelling and barking also wakes up the cavelry which is well armed.

With the availability of battery powered side arm grinders none of the cables or other locks are really very secure from the determined thief. A grinder will go thru one of those 3/8" cables very quickly.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

Insurance, Insurance, Insurance....
If some one really wants it they are going to get it.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

How about a shot gun and a big dog. It's really sad that you can't trust people anymore[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

we recently restored a cherry picker and my dad came up with a removable hitch i will try to explain how to do it, get 2 peices of square tubing, one just abit smaller then the other so you can slide it inside the bigger one, weld the bigger piece to the trailer(where the hitch originally was) and drill 2 hole threw both of the peices of square tubing, and put 2 pins threw so the hitch will not pull out as you are driving and then when you park the trailer just pull the hitch out. Now how the hell is somone going to steal your trailer?lol i will try to get pics of it, sorry if i didnt explain clearly it is very hard to explain but when i get pics up you will get it.Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DavidLT250S
we recently restored a cherry picker and my dad came up with a removable hitch i will try to explain how to do it, get 2 peices of square tubing, one just abit smaller then the other so you can slide it inside the bigger one, weld the bigger piece to the trailer(where the hitch originally was) and drill 2 hole threw both of the peices of square tubing, and put 2 pins threw so the hitch will not pull out as you are driving and then when you park the trailer just pull the hitch out. Now how the hell is somone going to steal your trailer?lol i will try to get pics of it, sorry if i didnt explain clearly it is very hard to explain but when i get pics up you will get it.Just my 2 cents.
The same effect is achieved with a locked block in the tongue ball receptacle.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: georged
Originally posted by: DavidLT250S
The same effect is achieved with a locked block in the tongue ball receptacle.
no they can still pick the lock on that this theres nothing to take the whole hitch off and you can take it with you

Quick Reply: trailer security?