Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Need advice on hauling my ATVs

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on hauling my ATVs

We currently have a 2005 Thor Tahoe Transport 28WTB behind our 2000 Excursion. I have successfully loaded and hauled our '05 Kodiak 400, '05 Bruin 350, '05 Sportsman 90, and '03 DRZ-125L many times. This leaves us packed full and room for no other toys.

Here are your missions should you choose to accept them.

Mission #1
Wife says that she wants to get 1, maybe 2, additional quads for friends and family to ride.
Wife says that she wants the quads to be gas & go (idiot quads).
I say that semi-auto is ok.

So what quads should I be looking at for beginners?
200cc - 350cc, semi-auto/full-auto, 2wd OK, light weight, sport or utility, trail riding, mud, no dunes.

Mission #2
Wife says that we need to bring our additional quad/s with us.
Wife says that we can not trade up again and must keep this toy hauler.
Wife says that she will not let her Ex be traded in on a 2006 Super Crew Long Bed Diesel.

What options do I have to squeeze in more toys? Load vertical, stack??

I have seen a couple guys around here who double stack their quads. With utilities as the base. They placed 2x6/2x8's from the front to rear racks. Then loaded their smaller utility or sport quads on top of them. Strapped the top quad to the racks. And then loaded the stacked quads onto the trailer. Never seen this before. But they have done it several times. Any advice?

Old 05-10-2006, 07:48 PM
xtc
Range Rover

Ok,here's my 2 cents worth,as far as new wheelers go, I would chose the honda 250 recon(If you live anywhere near chattanooga tennesee check out this site,www.southerhonda.com)the recon is a durable lightweight machine,4 stroke,semi-auto with foot shift or es model(push button),and is very nimble to new riders and has cargo racks(trx250 is sport model instead of utility).I have one and getting wife one this weekend(happy mothers day!).As for hauling,stacking wheelers on trailer two high would scare me,and might be against the law?.How about waiting to gas them up until you unload and stand the quads upright(may be hard to do if your wheelers dont have rear racks)and strap them together then strap to trailer?.I would wait turn gas off first and wait ten minutes after unloading to allow oil to settle but at least it would be more secure then stacking.Hope this helped.

Old 05-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Where are you on GVWR on your tow and towed rigs? What about the balance on the trailer? May want to check this prior to adding more weight.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

I have little to add that will help you find a solutioin to your scenerio. But I do have something to help out future questions you may have on this type of topic.

You have stated an oxymoron. There is no such truck as a "Supercrew Long Bed Diesel". A Supercrew truck is a half ton truck. At this point in time, and I'm sure you're aware of this, they do not make the Supercrew in a Diesel. They do however make a "Superduty Crewcab Long Bed Diesel". Which, for some reason people like to refer to as a Supercrew. For whatever reason I do not know as they are not even close to being the same truck. One is a half ton, the other is a 250 or bigger.

Buck

Old 05-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

Wife says , wife says , wife says [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
I would tell my wife , she has said enough , and that we are doing what I says [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

So as long as the gas tank is empty then no problems hauling them upright?

Old 07-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Check out this website - www.thetoyrack.com I checked into this stacking system for toyboxes. The cost is around $725 to $800 for the rack.