Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Dodge with mercedes benz diesel motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge with mercedes benz diesel motor

It was probably more than you wanted to know. Sorry if it was long.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: Raceday
I worked for a dodge dealer until febuary. Dodge owns 51% of Cummins. Ford owns a small portion as an investment. I was told that Dodge would stay with the Cummins because or the "american name recognition". The closest that they have come to mercedes engines is the MDS technology on the Hemi. It was originally developed by Mercedes and then used in the Diamler Chrysler vehicles. I was also told that GM purchases this same system from DC. The diesel in the Jeep liberty is an older mercedes design with the new Bosch Commonrail injection system on it. But even it is not manufactured by Mercedes. It is built by VW Motori in Italy. And no they have nothing to do with Volkswagen.
Ford does not own ANY part of Cummins. They sold off that investment around '97 or so.

And why in the world would Dodge own a part of Cummins, when DaimlerChrysler owns Detroit Diesel?

People misinterpret all kinds of stuff.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

That information was given to me by the Dodge product trainer in January of 2006.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

That information was given to me by the Dodge product trainer in January of 2006.
Well this information is false. Just get on the forums at TDR or DTR with this info and you will get laughed off of there.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

Sounded valid to me B&R..... Oh well. I will continue to drive and tow with my cummins.....

Old 07-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Dodge has a contract with Cummins for a new 6.7L (IIRC) diesel. (And NO, Ford doesn't own Cummins.)
I read where that contract runs through 2007 and at this point in time renewal has not been confirmed. Vehicle manufacturers are taking very close looks at model mixes for $4/gallon and beyond fuel levels.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer

According to my buddies at the Dodge dealership and the dodge website and the cummins website it will be the Cummins 610. I beleive there is a second diesel choice for the Chassis cab 3500 that is 6.7 liters. I have not even looked to see who makes it. Maybe this is where the rumors are coming from. You can go to www.dodge.com for the 2007 info.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:08 AM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: georged
Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Dodge has a contract with Cummins for a new 6.7L (IIRC) diesel. (And NO, Ford doesn't own Cummins.)
I read where that contract runs through 2007 and at this point in time renewal has not been confirmed. Vehicle manufacturers are taking very close looks at model mixes for $4/gallon and beyond fuel levels.
There's supposedly a new contract through about 2015 with an R&D contract to 2012. The old contract would go through 2007 as that's when new motors need to come out.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:26 AM
Air Cooled Rider

According to my buddies at the Dodge dealership and the dodge website and the cummins website it will be the Cummins 610. I beleive there is a second diesel choice for the Chassis cab 3500 that is 6.7 liters. I have not even looked to see who makes it. Maybe this is where the rumors are coming from. You can go to www.dodge.com for the 2007 info.
The new Cummins 6.7 is in the 3500 Chasis. There's no reason for them to not put that in the 2500 and 3500 PU. AFAIK, the 5.9 ISB-based unit doesn't meet MY2007 emissions. The new motor is about 40% carry-over from the ISB. There's a Diesel Power Magezine out that I saw yesterday at the local Borders with about a 5 page article covering the 6.7. Not much more power coming out of it, just much cleaner. I don't even see the article listed on their web site. But I know it had that diesel competition in it. There can't be anywhere enough volume in just the 3500 Chasis Cab to make it worth it. (I would assume power adds will come later, or they are playing the wait and see card up the sleave game.)

According to the mag (and as LTZ said) it will be backed by an Aisan 6 speed auto.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:30 AM
Trailblazer

I agree. I don't really see there being enough sales in the chassis cab by itself. It make become popular with the wrecker fleet but I think most of them are using the F450 and F550 or bigger. It is probably a wait and see game.

Quick Reply: Dodge with mercedes benz diesel motor