Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Dodge with mercedes benz diesel motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge with mercedes benz diesel motor

Originally posted by: jayri
Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
This whole rod thing kinda gets me. Of course the Cummins will have a beefier rod, it's got more displacement per cylinder.

Cummins 5.9: .83L/cyl
Cummins 6.7: 1.12L/cyl

Navistar 6.0: .75L/cyl
Navistar 6.4: .80L/cyl

Duramax 6.6: .825L/cyl

So the Cummins and the DMax are close. But here's the thing. I never hear people complaining about busting rods. Now, if the DMax and Navistar motors were throwing rods through the blocks, I could see where this would/could be an issue. I think it's really just a non-issue, unless you're going to be cranking up the power. In which case you'll probably change so many parts that it's not even close to the original factory motors.

Reminds me of people complaining that they were sending stock rods through the cases on Raptors when they were putting in 12:1 or higher pistons. DUH!

If you want to look at reports of problems then that's fine. But to say the two motors aren't worth looking at because they have lighter rods is rather bogus if there are no failures. People said the DMax would be junk when it first came out because it has an aluminum block. Nevermind that aluminum blocks are common in other countries. The aforementioned Diesel Power mag shows one DMax pushing 1200HP. I think that's testament to the strength of the block. Rods...who knows.
UMMM.....I think the 5.9 Cummins would be .98L per cylinder, at least according to my calculator.
I think I have a loose connection somewhere between my eyeballs and my fingers.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jayri
This whole rod thing kinda gets me. Of course the Cummins will have a beefier rod, it's got more displacement per cylinder.

Cummins 5.9: .83L/cyl
Cummins 6.7: 1.12L/cyl

Navistar 6.0: .75L/cyl
Navistar 6.4: .80L/cyl

Duramax 6.6: .825L/cyl

So the Cummins and the DMax are close. But here's the thing. I never hear people complaining about busting rods. Now, if the DMax and Navistar motors were throwing rods through the blocks, I could see where this would/could be an issue. I think it's really just a non-issue, unless you're going to be cranking up the power. In which case you'll probably change so many parts that it's not even close to the original factory motors.

Reminds me of people complaining that they were sending stock rods through the cases on Raptors when they were putting in 12:1 or higher pistons. DUH!

If you want to look at reports of problems then that's fine. But to say the two motors aren't worth looking at because they have lighter rods is rather bogus if there are no failures. People said the DMax would be junk when it first came out because it has an aluminum block. Nevermind that aluminum blocks are common in other countries. The aforementioned Diesel Power mag shows one DMax pushing 1200HP. I think that's testament to the strength of the block. Rods...who knows.
UMMM.....I think the 5.9 Cummins would be .98L per cylinder, at least according to my calculator.
I think I have a loose connection somewhere between my eyeballs and my fingers.
LOL!!! I think they all make a pretty darn good diesel pickup nowadays

Old 08-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Certainly I think everyone is going to stand up for the brand they drive... so the point is moot... I don't put a lot of faith in Diesel Power Mag either. Any Mag for that matter. I think there is room on the road for all of us to ride around on .. so drive what you want to... I am happy with my choice, anf that is all that is important to me. I am sure you all feel the same way.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

LOL!!! I think they all make a pretty darn good diesel pickup nowadays
Agreed, but it would also be interesting to see what Benz could come up with on their own. Their new generation diesel-engined cars are flat impressive accelerating a 3800lb car as fast as a gas-engined one, no noise, no smell and 43mpg. Makes me wonder about their thoughts on the viability of the future market for individual owner diesel pickups with continually escalating fuel costs. I just put my 2005 F350 diesel up for sale, I don't need that much truck and can see putting hundred dollar bills in the tank everytime I fuel in the very near future.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

I wish the fuel economy war would have started when the hp war did with the diesel trucks. None of us really needs a pick-up with a 400 h.p. diesel engine in it, if I had one with 250 hp that got 25 mpg I would be happier, because I would drive it more. Ford chevy and dodge better get their act together on this, I thought about waiting to get a 6.0 but when they told me I'd get 7% better milage I took the incentives to buy a left over 7.3. Still have yet to use up enough fuel at 7% to eat up the incentives. I won't buy another new truck untill they get some more fuel efficient choices out there, we all like the ponies, but the simple truth of the matter is, my truck stays untill I can get some REAL economy improvements.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

True, but for some of us, pulling heavy all the time, they make a lot of sense now. I actually save in fuel costs alone, the entire payment of the new truck. SO I feel the truck is free. Of course I like being able to write it off as a business expense too.

My Hemi got 6 MPG towing. My Cummins gets 17 towing even more weight. At today's prices, I save a bundle in fuel costs. Even when it is empty, I still get 1 to 3 more than my best day with the gas powered truck... and believe it or not, the Hemi actually got better milage than my old Ranger 4 banger. So it is all relative

I think you are going to see a lot of new diesels on teh market in the next couple of years. Remember that Audi just won the 24 hours of Lemans with a diesel...

Old 08-08-2006, 03:01 AM
Air Cooled Rider

If you want fuel mileage, buy a VW TDI. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] j/k. Rumours abound of a 4.5L V6 diesel in Ford's F-150. But that rumour has been around for a while. It's the PSD motor in the Ford city trucks. Only issue I see is emissions for the sub-8500lb GVWR. So it might be limited to the F-150HD.

That's pretty sweet on the Audi TDI. 650HP and 850lb ft of torque.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

big rigs get 7-9 mpg pulling 80,000 lbs, so I'm not impressed with merely half unless you are pulling 40,000, if you get my drift. My dad drove over the road for 18 yrs., and we were never impressed with any gas motor for pulling a load. My 02 psd 350 drw 4x4 goes 13-16 mpg with 4.11 gears, and I'm looking for more mpg, not hp. It will pull any load that I can legally pull at any speed I can legally go, hills included. I have a 6x6 military truck and get 8-9 mpg out of it, and it has 6.72 gears, so there has to be a better solution out there in my opinion.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Air Cooled Rider

The biggest consumer of fuel is air resistance (of course for flat driving.) Going up a hill of course you're going add the weight. The laws of physics say that once an object is in motion, it wants to stay in motion. And 80,000lbs is a LOT more mass to keep going. I wonder if a dynamic displacement type of system (i.e. like the Hemi's ability to drop cylinders) would work well? You only need the horsepower to equal the various drags (air, mechanical) on the vehicle.