Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Dodge with mercedes benz diesel motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge with mercedes benz diesel motor

The rumor that i heard is that dodge is done with cummins after '07 and will have mercedes diesels. Cummins will go under FORD... this it just what i heard, but i will doubt it will happen. Cummins has done will with dodge.

I cant wait to see in a couple of yrs all theses diesel SUV's! I heard they will be able to toll like a 3/4ton

Old 07-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No, and No.

International also has a new design to meet MY07 emission standards for the Ford.

All three will have particulate filters, cooled exhaust recirculation, and likely larger displacement with lower working pressure/temp in order to make emissions.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:37 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Jeffin is right. And I think we covered this already.

So here's the rundown, AGAIN:

Ford will be having an evolution of the 6.0PSD from IH/Navistar pushed out to 6.4L sporting 2 turbos in series. I would expect this to be around for at least 4 years to recoup investment (6.0 was '03 through '06). Assuming the trannies will stay the same with the 5 speed Torque Shift and 6 speed manual.

Dodge will be moving a 6.7L Cummins. (5.9L ISBs aren't MY07 compliant.) Power specs are currently listed the same as the ISB-based units. Tranny will be an Aisan 6 speed auto. Assuming they'll get the Getrag (or whatever it is) 6 speed manual they just switched to.

GM will just make evolutionary changes to the 6.6 Duramax (Code LBZ?). A 6 speed Allison to replace the previous Allison 5 speed. As far as announced power, they will be on top. Wait to see what Dodge and Ford finally release before the armchair HP/Torque war breaks out.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

Just to get this stupid rumor outta the way:

Does Ford own Cummins?

No, Ford does not own any part of Cummins Inc.

http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/c...4A0004AC33EA57

Also, in that same Diesel POwer magazine, they say that the 6.7 will be in the 2007.5 3/4 and up trucks. Cummins claims that the 6.7 will get better fuel economy and longer oil change intervals than the 5.9. If this is true, I'll be getting a 2007.5 Dually.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

Did you guys hear that gmc/chevy are releasing next years trucks early cause they need to start making some $$$ like now? Not sure how early...maybe a couple months...

Old 08-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Air Cooled Rider

This really wouldn't be that early for a MY07 vehicle.

IIRC, Ford will be releasing their MY08 SDs in January '07. They did that with MY'97 on the F-150s. They can release a MY starting on Jan 1 of the prior calendar year. I.e. MY08 can be sold as of 1/1/07. IMHO the MY08 Ford SDs are UGLY. Think an Escalade front end on steroids.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Do some homework and see what the rods and piston sizes look like between the 3 contenders... Then make your decsions. Just FYI. Published numbers are really bogus. A quick flash of the eprom, and you can gain 150 HP and several hundred ft pounds of torque on any of these. I look at reliability.. and one stands out...

Old 08-06-2006, 04:27 AM
Air Cooled Rider

This whole rod thing kinda gets me. Of course the Cummins will have a beefier rod, it's got more displacement per cylinder.

Cummins 5.9: .83L/cyl
Cummins 6.7: 1.12L/cyl

Navistar 6.0: .75L/cyl
Navistar 6.4: .80L/cyl

Duramax 6.6: .825L/cyl

So the Cummins and the DMax are close. But here's the thing. I never hear people complaining about busting rods. Now, if the DMax and Navistar motors were throwing rods through the blocks, I could see where this would/could be an issue. I think it's really just a non-issue, unless you're going to be cranking up the power. In which case you'll probably change so many parts that it's not even close to the original factory motors.

Reminds me of people complaining that they were sending stock rods through the cases on Raptors when they were putting in 12:1 or higher pistons. DUH!

If you want to look at reports of problems then that's fine. But to say the two motors aren't worth looking at because they have lighter rods is rather bogus if there are no failures. People said the DMax would be junk when it first came out because it has an aluminum block. Nevermind that aluminum blocks are common in other countries. The aforementioned Diesel Power mag shows one DMax pushing 1200HP. I think that's testament to the strength of the block. Rods...who knows.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Also, the 6.0 has beefier looking rods than the 7.3 powerstroke, but the 7.3 has a good record for reliability.

Yeah, in any of the common rail injection engines a box or programmer can turn the power way up, but if that's all you do to the motor you may be really taking a risk- of blowing up the turbo, or baking the whole motor and not having it covered under warranty.

Old 08-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
This whole rod thing kinda gets me. Of course the Cummins will have a beefier rod, it's got more displacement per cylinder.

Cummins 5.9: .83L/cyl
Cummins 6.7: 1.12L/cyl

Navistar 6.0: .75L/cyl
Navistar 6.4: .80L/cyl

Duramax 6.6: .825L/cyl

So the Cummins and the DMax are close. But here's the thing. I never hear people complaining about busting rods. Now, if the DMax and Navistar motors were throwing rods through the blocks, I could see where this would/could be an issue. I think it's really just a non-issue, unless you're going to be cranking up the power. In which case you'll probably change so many parts that it's not even close to the original factory motors.

Reminds me of people complaining that they were sending stock rods through the cases on Raptors when they were putting in 12:1 or higher pistons. DUH!

If you want to look at reports of problems then that's fine. But to say the two motors aren't worth looking at because they have lighter rods is rather bogus if there are no failures. People said the DMax would be junk when it first came out because it has an aluminum block. Nevermind that aluminum blocks are common in other countries. The aforementioned Diesel Power mag shows one DMax pushing 1200HP. I think that's testament to the strength of the block. Rods...who knows.
UMMM.....I think the 5.9 Cummins would be .98L per cylinder, at least according to my calculator.

Quick Reply: Dodge with mercedes benz diesel motor