Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

How do you strap down your ATV in your pickup truck bed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you strap down your ATV in your pickup truck bed?

hmm i got a 2004 avalanche and its perfect for the quads cause its got side storage and i just use 1 rathet strap and a saftey strap and ive done a 110 mph and never had a problem [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: iamsoup
hmm i got a 2004 avalanche and its perfect for the quads cause its got side storage and i just use 1 rathet strap and a saftey strap and ive done a 110 mph and never had a problem [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Well, I'm impressed.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Range Rover

Me too.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Range Rover

i got a blaster and a bruin all in the same bed with the midgate down, shall find pictures and link them.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Before I put a winch mount on my wheeler that prevents me from truckbed towing, I made up a brace from 4x4 posts that went at the front of the truckbed and stuck out at the middle. I would pull my wheelers bumper up against it . There was no way the fourwheeler could move forward enough to hit the truck with it in the bed. I used large cargo straps hooked to the footpeg area tightened forward just enought o compress the suspension a bit. It could work up and down a little without overstressing the straps. Dont have any pics of the brace as it was crude, but worked.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:02 AM
Pro Rider

I tie my atv down in my truck bed the same way I tie down my dirt bike, you use the front suspension to tighten the pull straps, I pull my ATV so that the front bumper contacts the end, cab side of the bed, then I install the pull straps to the front upper frame of the atv the other end to the bed hooks, then I stand on top of the front rack of my atv and as im jumping up and down, pushing the front suspension down, I pull and tighten up the pull straps. I use 2 pull straps on the front of the atv, nothing on the back. The pull straps are better than the ratchet straps plus they hold better and are easiser and quicker to use, plus no tangles.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

I do the same as most here - use tie downs, but what I did to prevent exactly what happened to you is make a "stop" out of 2x6 lumber to keep the front of the quad from coming through the rear window.
Build a frame out of the lumber about as wide as the quad. Take a couple pieces of 2x10 or 2x12 and put that on the face - towards the outer edges of the frame so the wheels can rest against that.

I haven't had any issues with the front of my quad hitting the front of the bed of my truck, or the window.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

The Louisiana Guard Dog looks like a great solution for ATV's, but I wanted something that would work with other things too (lawn tractors, etc.) that don't have towing *****.

My solution was to remove the "dock cleat" style tiedowns and replace them with serious D-rings. Here's a photo of one in the bed of my truck.

Each one is held into the truck bed by two Class 8 bolts and backed by C-channel backing plates. The bed metal will fail before those tiedown do.

I tested them by putting the ATV into the truck and driving up and down the exact same road that put it through my rear window. I even figured out which bump caused the problem... by hitting it hard again [oops]. The ATV sat solidly in the back and never moved at all.

Total cost of D-rings and hardware: Under $30.

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

Do not use the cam lock straps that you pull to tighten. If you use ratchet straps you will not have any problem. I haul my quads on a flat trailer that used to be a boat trailer. It has no sides on it and my Raptor has the park brake removed. I use quality ratchet straps and have not had a problem with my quads moving. Ratchet straps cost alot more than the cam locks but it costs even more to replace your quad when you lose it on the highway.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

I built one of them contraptions like the gaurd dog. Got some scrap pcs of square tubing from work(freebie). I think mine is actually built a little more rigid too. All it cost me was $14 for a trailer hitch. But I understand you want something a little more verstile. It may work on a rider though. It is adjustable.

Quick Reply: How do you strap down your ATV in your pickup truck bed?