Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Dodge diesel, Why leave it idleing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge diesel, Why leave it idleing?

Originally posted by: 2fun
Originally posted by: 400CatDriver
I was really disappointed in my F250 powerstroke after pulling with the Cummins. It's starting to come around on the power now but it took a long time to break in.

Enjoy that Dodge!
I just saw the pic of the cabinets you had installed in the V-nose trailer!! WOW!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Those are NICE!!!!

I am thinking about getting a V-nose trailer myself! How much did it cost you to get those set up like that, and who did you go to to have it done??

Thanks! And NICE JOB on the cabinets!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks. I ordered that trailer built to specs. The cabinets were a couple of grand to add from US Cargo. You're looking at about 13K after taxes on that entire trailer. 28 foot (4 feet in the V), 5500 lb electric brake axles, backup battery system that runs a 12V light system as well as the electric tongue jack, insulated ceiling, twin vents, escape window, 110 V electric system with an RV style connection cord, prewired for AC on front vent, outside work light, spare tire, built in tire rack that holds 8 atv tires, c rail on the floor for tie downs, undercoated, dual brake lights, markers, white walls, a pit pal, even a coat rack!

I wanted something that we could run both drag quads and the DS650 straight in end-to-end without turning anything sideways and still leave 4 feet in front of the DS to load equipment and tools. Worked out really well....except for the Rhino. I have to take the roof off of the Rhino to get it in the door! I got this one built through Camper Exchange in Belleville Illinois in April of 2006. Its on their consignment lot right now.

By the way...it's for sale for 3K less than I have in it. I'm moving up to a toy hauler. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: ridinhigh
These new diesels are much different. It don't hurt anything to shut down right away. Just my 2 cents

Apsolutely, positively, incorrect....

For your standard Pickup Truck Diesel, it is strongly urged that you let the engine idle for at least 30 seconds upon startup, and 1 to 2 minutes upon shut down. If you want, I can take a snap shot of that exact warning that is on the visor of my vehicle. The bearings are at issue here. Doesnt matter if you have roller bearings, or otherwise. All you are trying to do is make sure that the oil is in fact in the turbo charger befor you place the unit under pressure.

For a large diesel, Like my 2004 Volvo VNL780 with a 14.0 Lt Cummins powered ISX Signature 600 w/ 440,000 miles, It is recomended that those idle times be increased to 90-180 seconds at startup, followed by a MINIMUM of 5 minutes at shut down. Of course the reason for this is because semi's trucks are operating at 60-100% of their power band at all times, so you have to take away that 1600 Degrees slowly and continuously. If you dont, you will roast the oil, and scoor the bearings, causing a EARLY DEATH!!! And being that these turbo chargers, if properly maintained, will last a long time, and cost ALOT of money.

Now let me explain this. If your turbo does blow up on the intake side, you will more than likely be looking at buying a new motor. Since diesels can pretty much run on anything, once the oil that was being pumped into the turbo, now being pumped into the untake, startes making its way thru the intake system... Its all over. Wont matter if you shut the motor off trying to shut off the flow of fuel. The engines new fuel is the oil, and it WILL rev out of control. I have seen it, I can show you pictures of freinds trucks that have done this exact thing.

Now back on topic. As I mentioned befor, him idling his truck for 5 minutes or less is ideal. But him idling it for 2-3-4 hours? Tell him to kiss your ***.. Check your local anti idle laws, and see about getting them enforced.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

now i can turn around, and say every school bus in the lot, all of which have the 7.3 Ford PS in it, and these bus's come in red hot since the lot is at the top of a 3 mile hill. Not one person waits to shut these things off, hell 90% of them don't know your even suppose to, thats over 50 buses between the 2 lots, NONE have ever experience Turbo or engine failure, buses are sold at 200k, so longevity doesn't seem to be effected either

don't make it out like these things will blow up if you shut them right off. i worked in garages long enough to know better

Old 10-31-2006, 12:54 AM
Range Rover

Just because they dont do it, doesnt mean its the irght way to do it. Its like a rental car (for me at least), you drive the **** out of it. Who cares, it isnt yours. They never break down? yea right, our local international dealer cant go a single day without someone in their shop working on a bus. And they are usually working on more than 1 at any one time.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

for engine or turbo failure?, sorry no i haven't seen it, and i was a bus mechanic for 3 years worked on over 200 different buses

i never said they didn't fail, just not for the reasons listed above, the biggest engine issue i see are gaskets leaking, period

Old 10-31-2006, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

We have 7 diesels and I leave idle for 5 minutes or so..... 2 are large cummins turbo diesel generators that we leave idle 10 minutes startup and 5 shutdown

Old 11-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Range Rover

-
Except for Ridinhigh, all the post are pretty correct. Maybe you can copy this full post and give it to him.

GJRonK

Old 11-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

Another thought: What does he do when he drives it to work, the store, etc.? Does he leave it idling "for hours" with the keys inside while he goes into work? While he picks up parts at the hardware store? Groceries?

Does he leave it idling when he goes to the fuel station? In case he doesn't know, leaving your engine running while filling your tank is illegal.

The guy's comments are irrational.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I've worked on many turbo's and turbo engines, both gas and diesel. I'll be the first to admit that I click the engine off as soon as it goes in park. I've looked at both the shaft and bearings and oil return hole on these turbo's.

My take on this?
Your wasting fuel, and money if you let the engine idle. Is it better to let an engine idle for a minute or two? Ya, I guess so, but I've never seen a turbo failure from not doing this either.

Way back when, they had soft sleave type bearings in turbo's. They would melt if you shut them down early. Those went out with flat heads. Years ago, they had trouble with coking oil. Not anymore. Every one of my turbo's returns are clean as the day they were built; even with hot shut down. Like what was said earlier, if you let a 4 stroke diesel idle for a long time, that is not good for the engine for the reason stated.

Like someone said before, by the time you pull into the garage or parking lot, or whatever, the EGT is down below 300 anyway. Even with a drag car, the EGT is cold by the time you hit the pits.

Maybe you should give your kid a drum set and tell him to go out side and practice. Better yet. If it's a nice truck go to the "hood" and tell some crack addict you know where there is a "fee truck." (Disclaimer. The last statement was said in jest and should not be taken literality)

Old 11-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

shutting down the engine before it cools cooks the oil in the turbo, thus leading to oil breakdown. Five minutes is all it should take, both of my trucks specify a cooldown period, the pyro on my pick-up gets down to 300 in less than that no matter what the load. And you will have the last laugh when his truck doesn't run right, all that idling isn't good for it as his truck wasn't desinged for it

Quick Reply: Dodge diesel, Why leave it idleing?