Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

turnbuckle tiedown weight limit question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turnbuckle tiedown weight limit question

As tight as I can get my straps (with somebody bouncing on it and everything as I tighten), I still have them come off, several times now. ATV shocks are just very springy. A strong bounce gives a strap hook plenty of chance to jump the anchor. Somebody on the forum suggested anchoring the frame or the wheels, BELOW the suspension as the solution. They also said use turnbuckles. See this thread: Fifth post or so suggests turnbuckles, has pictures

I like the idea, but I have some concerns about suggested weight limits (swl) for the pieces involved. If you use this option, you'll have to pay attention to each piece, including all fittings (weak link philosophy). For example, I thought a carabiner would be convenient (you know, those snap-on dealies, with a sprung swinging gate, that mountain climbers use) (and now are on many keychains) but the swl on the ones I found is 200 lbs or less. Put any load on those fellers and the "C" will bend open if they don't break outright. (Hmm, that makes me want to try it, mythbuster style.)

A 3/8 turnbuckle has a swl of 350 lbs. Now here's my question, for those of you that use this option or who know the physics of the thing better than I: If my ATV weighs more than 350 (most do), can I use one turnbuckle on each end of the quad and share the load, resulting in a 700 lb limit? Or am I stuck with 350, which means this good idea is not that good of an idea after all, at least for any quad over 350? (A similar thought occurs, if the weight distributes, I could use four and use smaller turnbuckles.)

I've been told that ATV tiedowns need to do more than keep the quads on the bed of the trailer (or truck). In case of an accident, the quads need to stay with whatever they're tied to, not fling off in all directions under centrifugal force.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

I use turnbuckles to secure my quad in the back of the pickup. One 3/8" unit at each corner. These and heavy "S" hooks are more than ample to use as tie downs. I hook between factory installed tie down points in the bed, it's an S10 Chev. pickup, and the wheels. By tightening the turnbuckles I am able to slightly compress the tires which reduces the shock load on the turnbuckles and related equipment. So far I have had no problems with this system.

As for holding the quad in place during an accident. I feel the system I am using will do fine for a minor accident or hitting a major pothole or such. In the case of a rollover or being hit by a runaway truck, well, I don't want to haul all the chains and junk that would be needed to hold things in place for that.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you want stronger rated parts they are available. Some marine rated stainless steel, like used on sailboats, has very high ratings but it pricey.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I would be the above mentioned "turnbuckle guy with pics".

Don't know the rating on the turnbuckles but I have found that the weak link (no pun intended) in my system is the D rings used on the trailer. The ones I have are rated at 1,200 lbs. I have had two fail - both times when I had doubled up and had two quads attached to the same D ring. I have since added extra D rings to avoid this.

I've never had a failure of any turnbuckles, chains, hooks or clips. I only use the locking type clips - the kind with a screw knuckle on the end that prevents it from opening. A climbing style carribeener is no good - way too easy to stretch and open up under load.

I anchor my quads with a chain and hook at one end (usually the front) and a chain, hook and turnbuckle on the other end. On some, I use a loop of chain over the hitch ball. As long as everything is tight the system can more than handle an ATV load, however if it is set up loose so that the bike can rock back and forth then it will put lots more stress on the whole thing. I always load up, drive a couple of miles down the road and then check and retighten if necessary - sometimes chains can kink and seem tight for a while. I consider the system at the correct level of tightness when the tires start to compress.

If you are really concerned as to keeping the Atv's on the trailer in the event of a wreck, then a solid chain or cable looped around the axel would be a good idea. This would not have to be tight, just strong.

Jaybee

Old 11-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Range Rover

I feel the best way to tie down is across the tires. Check out my pics, and you can see how I do it. Tied down this way, they will never move.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer

Is what your talking about the kinda u just pull tight? Those are gonna come loose no matter what the way they are designed.

Best thing to do is get ratchet straps. $15 for 4 of them. ATV Rated.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

An easier way is to take a bunnge cord and connect it to each end of the strap ... even if the strap goes slack the bunnge cord will keep it from coming off.

http://www.checca.net/atvwinchfront.htm

you can see what i mean in the above link ... look for the blue bunnge.