Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Hitch for my 3/4 ton truck... help me out!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch for my 3/4 ton truck... help me out!!

Hey all! As a lot of you know, I just purchased a 2006 Dodge 2500 quad cab Cummins turbo diesel for pulling an enclosed trailer (thanks for all who helped me in making this extremely large purchase!!). It came with a towing package, but I need to figure out what type of hitch to purchase for it. There appear to be MANY MANY different choices out there.

What do I need to know about purchasing one?? I know there are differen't heights (drops), and aven adj drop hitches......

Help me figure out what I need to get please! PS, I haven't yet got my trailer yet, but it'll probably be at LEAST 20 ft long, and 8 1/2 feet wide for hauling up to 4 or more quads, and all supplies necessary for week long trips to St. Anthony, and weekend trips to the Oregon dunes.

Thanks again!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2006, 04:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes you can get the hitch negotiated into the trailer deal.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Get a Class 4 hitch ... but double check the ratings on the different brands. I found they all will meet the Class 4 rating ... but ... many are rated for more weight. When i got my hitch i found one rated for 50Lb more tougne weight and 500Lb more trailer weight.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Range Rover

2fun,

If you're going to be towing at least a 20' trailer often, I would suggest going with a gooseneck trailer and hitch. It'll have a lot more control than a bumper pull, plus it'll more weight capacity. Downside, it'll be a bit more expensive. If you do go with a gooseneck, you can get one of these hidden hitches that mounts under your bed and on the frame. The ball will stick up through the bed and when it's not in use you can turn it over so it is flush with the bed. If you go with a bumper pull, go to a truck accessory place and get a hitch with at least a 10,000' weight rating. For the drop hitch, make sure you get one that drops just enough so that when you're under load, your trailer rides level. If you get one that levels the trailer without a load, you'll end up with the trailer sitting a little too low when you've got all your gear in it. Lastly, make sure you buy a ball hitch that matches the weight capacity of your receiver etc. BTW, I think you'll really like the cummins. I've got a '99 with 155,000 miles on it and it still pulls great. Only been in the shop once. Good luck with your hitch!

toe

Old 11-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Range Rover

You confused me. You say it came with a towing package, but you need to know what hitch to buy? Either Dodge has cheapened up their trucks more and never put a receiver hitch on the truck or else you are talking about the ball hitch and not the receiver hitch.

If you are talking about the ball hitch, make sure you buy one with the solid shank, the part that slides into your receiver hitch. Most of the hitches you see are just a 2" square tubing that are only rated for 5-6,000 pounds. The solid ball hitch is rated for around 12,000 lbs. trailer weight and about 1200 lbs tongue weight with a 2 5/16 ball.

If you are talking receiver hitch, as mentioned above, get a class 4 hitch, which should be rated at around 12,000 lbs towing capacity.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like he has the receiver, just needs the ball/hitch part.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The tow package he got includes the receiver.

As far as what drop to get, you won't know that until you choose your trailer. It would be nice to have it ride level, or close to it. Personally, I don't care for the adjustable type. I'd wait until you pick out the trailer, or if you want you could snag a typical 2" ball with like a 4 or 6" drop for now, and you could always buy a different one if that doesn't work for whatever trailer you get.

If you do decide to go goose neck, I have a B&W turnover ball on mine, which is really slick.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JeffinTD
The tow package he got includes the receiver.

As far as what drop to get, you won't know that until you choose your trailer. It would be nice to have it ride level, or close to it. Personally, I don't care for the adjustable type. I'd wait until you pick out the trailer, or if you want you could snag a typical 2" ball with like a 4 or 6" drop for now, and you could always buy a different one if that doesn't work for whatever trailer you get.

If you do decide to go goose neck, I have a B&W turnover ball on mine, which is really slick.
Take a look B&W's website and the adjustable ball mount they make. You will change your thinking about adjustable ball mounts real quick when you use one of these. We sell about ten of them a week in my store. Very popular product. This product is every bit as good as the Gooseneck they make you like so much.

I might add, my customers are all agricultural based people. They work their trucks hard towing large loads of stock and hay.

http://turnoverball.com/

Old 11-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Hey guys, thanks for all the input!

I know the gooseneck pulls better, but I don't know if I want to go to all the trouble of having something like that installed into the bed of my truck. Also, was wanting to stay away from the extra cost of a gooseneck trailer.

PLUS I may be using the bed to throw an extra ATV into if neccessary, or using it to throw all of the gas cans in (etc) for long trips to St. Anthony ID.

Scooter;
Thanks for that bit of info! I wasn't even thinking about them being able to do that! Might just work out to my advantage!

Another Q:
What about the "equalizing" hitches?? I was told to FOR SURE get one for towing an enclosed trailer. How much do these cost???

How much do the other kinds of hitches cost for that matter??? (for a good one)>???

Thanks again for all the help!

So in essence, it sounds like I will need to figure out which trailer I am getting BEFORE purchasing the hitch. Is this correct??

Thanks again all!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2006, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

Correct, let's figure out which trailer first so we can apply the correct hitch to it.

Buck

Quick Reply: Hitch for my 3/4 ton truck... help me out!!