Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

What do you tow with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 02:13 AM
LOY
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you tow with?

Hello Teebone56 and all,
I tow a 2007 22FK Attitude with a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 4X4. I can believe how much the trailer sways. I have a sway control bar and a weight distrubution hitch and it just sways out of control. My Max towing weight on my Tahoe is 8900lbs. What could be the problem. The LTZ does have 20in wheels and hitching up is a drag.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:14 AM
LOY
Weekend Warrior

Old 01-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you either have too little tongue weight or your trailer is too big for your Tahoe. I'd play around with the weight distribution in the trailer - try it out with more weight loaded forward. You can reach a point where you need a certain amount of tongue weight (normally 10% to 15% of total trailer) to keep the rear end from fishtailing but you can find that this amount of tongue weight is too much for the tow vehicle. The WD hitch should help but it needs to be set up right - pretty important that the trailer and tow vehicle remain level. The Tahoe has a fairly short wheelbase so any minor trailer sway will be amplified as compared to towing with a longer WB vehicle. Final thing to check is your weight - I can see a 22' loaded trailer passing 8,900 pounds. Keep in mind tha the 8,900 number is a max load number and includes all passengers in the Tahoe, all your gear and fuel. Rule of thumb for safety is to only tow to 80% of your rated tow weight.

Jaybee

Old 01-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

I would say too much weight in the back of the trailer, like Jaybeecon mentioned.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

05' Silverado 1500HD w/ 07' WW 28' Superlite, and I also stop at every gas station!

Old 01-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Trailblazer

03 dodge 2500 cummins HO pulling 37' Crossterrain

Old 01-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: QuadKaryn
I have a 2003 GMC 2500HD and I pull a 30ft Ragen 5th wheel.. and yup, I stop at all the gas stations along the way too... next time..DIESEL!!!

I wouldn't expect too much cost savings by going diesel. I'm towing a little bigger trailer than you, but when I towed it with a Dodge V-10 truck I got 6 mpg, and when I tow it with our GMC diesel I get 9 mpg. Granted that is an improvement of 50% in fuel mileage, but it is still just a 3 mpg improvement, and around here diesel cost 50 cents a gallon more than gasoline does. When I fill up with diesel I start to wonder if driving a diesel is costing me more money than it is saving. I don't think you save enough to make an argument for a diesel based on cost. A diesel does tow better though.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DesertViper
Originally posted by: QuadKaryn
I have a 2003 GMC 2500HD and I pull a 30ft Ragen 5th wheel.. and yup, I stop at all the gas stations along the way too... next time..DIESEL!!!

I wouldn't expect too much cost savings by going diesel. I'm towing a little bigger trailer than you, but when I towed it with a Dodge V-10 truck I got 6 mpg, and when I tow it with our GMC diesel I get 9 mpg. Granted that is an improvement of 50% in fuel mileage, but it is still just a 3 mpg improvement, and around here diesel cost 50 cents a gallon more than gasoline does. When I fill up with diesel I start to wonder if driving a diesel is costing me more money than it is saving. I don't think you save enough to make an argument for a diesel based on cost. A diesel does tow better though.
9 mpg??? Sounds like you need a Cummins!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2007, 09:34 PM
LOY
Weekend Warrior

Hey Teebone56,
Sorry, I couldn't get back to your sooner. Well, I really appreciate your advice and took it very seriously too. I began to check if my 2007 LTZ Tahoe was leveled with the trailer so that the tongue had at least 10-15% tongue weight. My brother has a 2006 Silverado Turbo diesel crew cab 4X4 and towed the 22FK behind it. It drove like a champ! This is when your recommendation was put to play. I measured the height of the Tahoe and notice that my hitch was 22" of the ground and my brothers Silverado was only 17 inches. The problem was due to the fact that the 2007 LTZ comes standard with 20 inch wheels versus the Silverado's 16" which increased my hitch height. The attitude was sitting extremely high which was causing the truck to sway out of control. I purchase a different reciever hitch bar that had a 14 " drop versus the current 8" drop. I swapped the recievers and BINGO the ride was much better because the truck hitch and receiver where leveled.
Thank you very much! Please enjoy your wknd!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

LOY- Welcome to the forum[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

It great to hear that someone has finally posted what they found after using the valued info posted here (at times)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Glad your ready to head out riding now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]