Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Anyone use a twin snowmobile trailer to haul two ATV's? Opinions? Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use a twin snowmobile trailer to haul two ATV's? Opinions? Experiences?

Old 04-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Anyone use a twin snowmobile trailer to haul two ATV's? Opinions? Experiences?

Depending on what size trailer and what quad you have it will work. Me and a buddy have sportsman 700s and tow them with a 8.5x12 trailer with a clamshell and they just fit side by side and the cover does fit also. We have a tie down ring in the front and back for each quad, works pretty good. If you have a 8x12 or 8x10 it might be tight side by side depending on what quad and how wide they are.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

I was thinking eight feet wide, but in measuring our Sportsmen they are essentially four feet apiece and that doesn't leave any room for proper strapping. Straps need to go "down and away" for proper load security. I suppose they could go forward and backward, but that would permit some slop left and right which wouldn't be good on an already narrow trailer.

The reason I want to carry them side by side is because I want to be able to pull the trailer, with the ATV's on it, into my spare single wide garage. Then when we want to ride them around the neighborhood I could just open the garage door and drive them right off the back without moving the trailer at all. If the trailer uses the more traditional side loading, I'll have to move one or both cars out of the garage just to unload the ATV's.

The opening of my spare garage is 8.5 feet, though, so I'm limited to an eight foot wide trailer. Perhaps a pair of Louisiana Guard Dogs would do the trick, though that prevents the trailer from being a true "flat bed" if I want to use it for hauling lumber, etc.

Nothing is ever simple, eh?

Old 04-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Triton x10 which is 102" x 120" I also hace 18" rails on it. Is nice to tilt it & ride up on it. My main drawback is the width as it sits so wide from my Ranger pickup that I get alot of drag at hiway speeds & sucks the gas pretty good. I put sides on it to haul wood but being only 200 # can get ALOT more wood on it than I should. Was looking at going with one of the 5 x 14' for less drag and is a 2995 # trailer.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

How long is your garage, you could go with an inline trailer that can fit them end to end. It will be tight with a 8x10, I only tie down front and back never had a problem make sure you set the brakes thought

Old 04-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Trailblazer

I have a longer snowmobile trailer. I haul 4 ATV's on it regularly. The trailer is 8 feet wide and two fit side by side and then two more behind those side by side. I use very long custom made straps that catch the ridges on either side of the trailer. I run the straps around and through the racks on each ATV. Then tighten them all down. Drive carelfully giving myself plenty of stopping distance and all works great. Never had them slip around in any direction and they fit nicely.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

I have an open Worthington 8.5x12 snowmobile trailer. I took all the snowmobile related stuff (front shield, skids, etc) off it and can fit three full sizes ATVs (BF650, 750s) on there either all across the trailer, or two facing foward and one facing across.
I placed stainless U-bolts on it to hook my tie-downs to in several places.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:21 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Snowmachines are wider and longer than ATVs so two ATV will fit on a double sled trailer easily.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Trailblazer

Any problems with being top heavy or bouncing around due to only one axle?

I am thing of going this route and just adding side load ramps

Old 05-08-2007, 02:24 AM
Range Rover

I have been doing this exactly for a couple years now. Works great. The trailers are light enuf that when loaded, you still dont break into a huge amount of weight. Mine, with 2 quads (in my sig) and trailer weigh under 1200 lbs. The width does drag it down some. But with the lower profile, even distribution of the weight, you notice your tranny shifing more, but you dont get any bob and weave out of the trailer in traffic. In fact, I would say they are almost nimble. I have driven mine probly harder than I should have considering its a 1972 snowmobile trailer. But she just keeps going.

With nothing on the trailer, like going to the hardware store, or whatever, you dont even notice its there, no fuel milage diference either for me when empty. I loose about 3-4 when loaded.

Quick Reply: Anyone use a twin snowmobile trailer to haul two ATV's? Opinions? Experiences?