Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

GM screws extended warranty customers with vague wording

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM screws extended warranty customers with vague wording

I am having a problem with my extended warranty, which i will address.

To some of you, especially those that work for, are privy to, and drive Gm vehicles...im probably gonna pizz you off.. and I am pre-apologizing to you for that.

anyway. i bought a gmpp extended coverage when I bought my truck. I got th coverage agreement in the mail, which tells me, as a customer, what is specifically covered, and what is not.

the bezels on my door, that house my window rockers, door lock rockers, and window roll-down lock, broke, and now slide back and forth. My dash is also what I would descirbe as melting...the paint turned to a liquid, then dried, then flaked off. Here is where it gets interesting.......you guys that do this for a living know...well that is a trim piece.

Well, in my coverage agreement, GM takes the time to define terms like: you, your, we, us our, claim, cost, deductible, failue, vehicle..........pretty basic terms for me, which need no clarification what the hell they are.

Yet, when I go to take it in for a warranty claim, they deny it, saying that it is trim, which IS mentioned in the agreement.(that "trim" isn't covered)...i bet some of you guys are laughing at me right now, huh?.. If i were in your shoes, I would laugh my *** off at me too.

In MY agreement, here is the text that trim is mentioned in....please remember the words they happily defined above........"additionally neither rust damagee nor any of the following parts as defined by the GM parts manual are covered under any circumstances: sheet metal, chassis, frame, cross members (it lists a crap load of exterior parts)....trim, tires convertible or vinyl tops, bright metal, drums shock absorbers...(and continues on with EXTERIOR parts)

a little background on me here....I owned typical teenage/early adult vehicles a typical male would own...a 69 VW sedan ...a 71 ford ltd convertible, an rx-7........and then I grew up a tiny bit, and bought a jetta.....and never, in all the time I spent fixing those vehicles, ordering parts, like an armrest for my rx-7 and custom one-offs for my VW, was the arm rest, or any part of anything connected to the door referred to as "trim" i have always known trim to be the chrome, or black metal pieces that ran down the length of the doors. also, "trim" shows up in a list of "exterior parts" making at least me think "trim" is an exterior part.

Even the guys @ GM told me that, probably on the average GM vehicle...trim consists of hundreds, if not thousands of pieces.........shouldn't THAT information be disclosed BEFORE the contract is signed, and the first claim done? Hell, remember, they defined the term "WE" in my agreement...it only means one freeking thing...but they don't define to a word that, admittedly, refers to hundreds, perhaps thousands of parts on a vehicle???

Well, guess what? they HAVE that information, but don't PROVIDE it to the customers PRIOR to signing these extended contracts.... I read the contract before I signed it, and even on the contact, vague language is used like trim........trim is open up to interpretation....you can't expect all women to know what all the words "trim" refers too.......it's freekin dicey

So, I believe, that because "trim" wasn't clearly defined...that they cannot dictate another set of standards other than what was given at the time of the contract signing. yet, they don't have a problem doing so.

there are parts that are considered trim that could be arguably not trim....right.....trim does not have a definitive meaning...clear and concise....right?...whose standard of the term "trim" am I being held too?...not the vague one in the contract....

ok rant over...you can flame me

thanks for letting me vent

Old 08-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Why Flame?
"If" this happened to me I would be super pissed. I've been doing body work for 30 years and when trim is mentioned it is assumed it is on the exterior just like you said.
Now there are panels in the inside of the car called interior trim. "A" pillar trim is one and there are many more.

If I were you I would go down to your dealers parts dept. and ask them to give me a printout of the part you want. If it's called a lock "bezel"; it's a bezel, not trim. If it's called lock "trim" your screwed. At least that's the way I look at it.

Good luck.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Being in the car industry for over 15 years I have never seen a extended
warranty pay for any type of trim repair. From your description it sounds like you
have a GMPP service contract and from what I have seen is the best extended warranty out there. I do know that it spells that out on the conract in fine print
and unless they have changed the forms will say the same on yours. If I were you
I would call GM or go to your selling dealer and ask for a goodwill repair. If your
mileage is not high and you present your case carefully without being a jerk they will probably help
you. GM according to a zone manager I meet with a few months ago has downsized
there complaint call centers and want the money saved from the downsizing
to help people out and any dealer unless they have bad csi can make a goodwill\
repair for you.