Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

How should I load the trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:06 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I load the trailer?

Put heavys in front try to keep on or in front of axles. And what u pulling trailer with? if u can try and find rear sway bar or similar if it gets to loose for ya. just be careful dont wanna loose anything on road

Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

Stock 07 Suburban with the factory hitch.
Should i load them sideways or straight in. 250, 90 50 in that order?

Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

Straight in will give a bit less wind resistance & less futzing around moving them, but sideways they will not shift as much. If you tie them down real good should not have to worry bout straight in

Old 10-04-2007, 02:26 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: vmutt

Stock 07 Suburban with the factory hitch.

Should i load them sideways or straight in. 250, 90 50 in that order?</end quote></div>

I would put big one straight and sideways the two lil ones. they bit easier to move around. I think wind resistance is your last concern. Have u pulled trailers alot before? Kinda a learning prosess but I'm sure u will be a pro and find the best way for ya soon enough. big suburban should be a snap to yank em around.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I pulled all three on a carson 5x10. A bitch to load(solo). Had to load them sideways, 250 had to be dropped in using a ramp against the trailer. Then had to prop it up using plastic blocks so that I dont squeeze the tires too much. Pulling that was no problem, couldnt even feel it back there. (that sounds wrong)
i will let you guys know how the trip went.
thanks

Old 10-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would put the small ones in front with the larger over the axel(s) is it a tandem axel .
the smaller ones should provide enough weight on the tounge ,to much weigth on the tounge will produce a sway in the rear of the vehical .

Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

With over 50 years of trailer towing experience I still weigh the tongue of my loaded trailers using a $110.00 Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale. If you have too much weight on your tongue and are not using a weight distribution hitch you'll find the front of your tow vehicle very light on the steering. If you have too little weight on the trailer tongue you could wind up with the tail wagging the dog or enough violent sway to completely lose control of your tow vehicle at highway speeds quicker than you can correct for it. You want approximately 10% to 15% of the trailer weight resting on the tongue. I use the above mentioned scale on a floor jack to lift the trailer tongue off the hitch ball to measure my weights. I've seen way too many trailers and tow vehicles totaled on the highways after complete loss of control.

I have five trailers from a 13,000 lb GW flat bed cargo trailer, a 11,000 lb GW Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler, a Wells Cargo fully enclosed Motorcycle Trailer, down to a single rail Motorcycle Trailer. Every month for the last year I've towed heavy machine equipment from Northern California to the Rocky Mountains of North Central New Mexico with my 13,000 lb GW flat bed cargo trailer, a round trip of 2,500 miles and I'll stop and move cargo if necessary to prevent sway.

The above mentioned scale, towing check lists, and horror stories can be seen at :

http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

Note that you'll probably never get into trouble with a small trailer like a single rail Motorcycle Trailer or small U-Haul Trailer but when your trailer exceeds 20' and weighs as much or more than your tow vehicle you can get in trouble real fast.
Good luck,
Jim

Old 10-05-2007, 03:20 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the scare jlrsn. Jk,
Anyway, i loaded them straight in, 250, 90, 50. in that order. It felt pretty good. took it around town a bit then jumped on freeway for about 5 miles or so. went up to about 65 and it actually felt pretty smooth. The only time i would feel it wiggle would be on bumps. I figure that in the open road I should be fine going faster than 65. Bad thing is while backing the damm thing back into place I nicked the rear light and broke it off. $%@#%^& need I say more? Yep and we head out tomorrow night. Will not give me a chance to get it fixed. Figure red tape it and fix it when I get back.
Thanks for the help I will post when I get back on how it went.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The only time i would feel it wiggle would be on bumps. </end quote></div>Be careful. You do not get problems on smooth and even roads. The problems occur exactly as you noticed: feeling the trailer on the bumps. As mentioned above, when you have too little weight on the tongue and the trailer starts jumping due to rough road, the trailer can "take control" and you can have a big problem.

That said with a full size Suburban pulling less than 1 total gross, you are unlikely to have any big problem no matter how you load the trailer (within reason). Have a good trip!

Old 10-06-2007, 03:14 AM
Trailblazer

you guys sure know how to scare a guy.
Thanks,
I dont mind re loading it once im on the road, for that reason I decided to take off in the am.
thanks

Quick Reply: How should I load the trailer?