Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Rage'n 30ft 5th wheel frame failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rage'n 30ft 5th wheel frame failure

I have a 2004 Ragen 30 foot 5th wheel toy hauler (manufactured by National RV) and the frame supports for the 5th wheel pin box have failed allowing the pin box to push up into the floor of the trailer, tearing the bed off of the wall and pushing the night stands on both sides of the bed up off of the floor and twisting them off of the front wall.

The failure left me sitting in a parking lot in Indio for two days while I removed the aluminum skin from the front if the trailer to find the damage and then got a mobile welder to come out and add steel to the underside of the frame to repair the cracked and broken sections.

I know that there are many 2003-2004 Ragen's on the road and was wondering if any body else had this problem or had noticed any movement in the interior areas I mentioned.

My trailer has never been overloaded (hauls only two or three quads) and is always driven very easily, I'm always the slowest guy on the dirt access roads.

If you own this trailer model then check the piano hinge at the head of the bead for movement (the ends pull off the wall) and check the fit of the night stands against the front wall (any gap means that they have been pushed away from the wall by the moving floor).

If you have any of these symptoms please post a reply to this message so that we can share information.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Occasionally you hear about a 5th wheel frame failure like that. Sometimes, but not always, they are associated with the use of an adapter to use a goose neck ball.

Do you know who's frame the Ragen is built on? Hopefully it's under warranty?

Old 11-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Walt I think the same thing is happening to my Ragen. I would like to talk to you, let me know if we can make this happen. Thanks

Old 11-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You guys might want to go over to irv2.com.

They have a pretty active toy hauler section, and lots of experienced RV people and some professionals in the industry that could be helpful.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

The "OTHER" forum (Not IRV2.net) pulled Walt's post down after about one day because he provided a link to a government agency to get consumers help with an obvious safety issue.

It seems that the moderators on that forum are under the dilusion that they can be used as witnesses in legal action if they let the public discuss issues that "May some day become or are already in litigation"?

So their policy is to assist in the cover up of safety issues rather than help inform the public and provide a means for consumers to discover one another when they are being taken advantage of.

In this manner they are LESS likely to be pulled into a legal dispute?

By the way, Walt has already found 8 others with the same frame failure issue from his one day post. Do ya think there's a much bigger problem out there?

Old 12-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

HI I'm new to this type of forum, I did go to the "other" forum markehieden was referring to and got no replies. I too have a 2004 Ragen. I have not found any problems yet with the pin box, how ever my right side suspension spring equalizer bracket just collapsed going around a 20mph turn at 15 while heading to dillons beach. I have seen several comments regarding the pin box problems even on non-toyhauler rigs.

I had to get a mobile repair to the breakdown sight for temporary repair. It's now at a dealership in Santa Rosa for repair. They are replacing all of the suspension components. I too have never even com close to overloading the trailer and have not curb it. Since buying it in January of 2005 we've we having only put approximately 3000 miles on it.

Anyway just wanted to say hello and good luck with you issue.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

try rv.net as long as your not in active litigation they will leave the post alone

Old 12-15-2007, 01:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thats who I was referring to, But thanks. when I posted on rv net looking for info and to alert others to check their suspension brackets. got no reply, so I found this site.

I would like to add that the extended warranty is picking up the tab for the repairs and replacing all brackets, hangers leaf springs and bushings.

My other issue is the trailer was suppose to have a two year warranty from date of purchase. When I called National RV (now in bankruptcy) they said to call WW. they bought the Ragen division and are suppose to assume all liability. Yeah Right!

Glad I bought the extended warranty when I bought the trailer.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

you need to go toward the frame manufacture, at least from what i read thats where most people find resolution. good luck

Old 12-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Do you know who builds the frame?

This was the frame failure thread I was thinking about.

IRV frame failure thread

Quick Reply: Rage'n 30ft 5th wheel frame failure