Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

ramps or trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ramps or trailer

I have a set of older steel ramps that i used to load my KLR motorcycle. I don't know what weight they are rated for. They have developed a 1/4 to 1/2 bow in them after a few uses.

I am trying to decided on whether to get new heavy duty ramps or if I should spend the $$ for a trailer.

Ramps would be cheaper and I wouldn't have to find a place to park it. With a trailer I could actually haul other stuff when taking the polaris out. That would be nice when going camping/hunting.

What are other con/pros of trailers?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ramps or trailer

I chose trailers ,like you said then you can haul other stuff ,

Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ramps or trailer

The biggest thing against the trailer isthe place to park it when not in use. However, I'm assuming that you have somewhere to park the ATV, so you can store the ATV on the trailer. It will take up more room than just the ATV but could still work. The other 'con' with the trailer depends on how well you can back a trailer up - but, youcanalways learn if you are not good at it. As you point out, ramps are far cheaper than a trailer.

Several big plusses for having the trailer - Easier to load onto the trailer then the truck bed, no need to clear out the truck to load, keeps all the mud and muck out of the truck plus even if you get a single ATV trailer you can always transport two ATV's since you can still use the truck bed.

I've had lots of varieties of trucks and trailers over the years. While I have loaded one ATV in the truck bed when I was meeting others at the riding area, I found that I would prefer to take the empty truck towing a small trailer rather than use just the truck.

Jaybee

Old 01-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ramps or trailer

another plus for a trailer is that you dont have to worry about that darn back glass in the truck.(broke mine twice and still dont have the $$ for a trailer although after 700.00 of back glass im getting close)

Old 01-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Range Rover
Default ramps or trailer

It is a shorter drop off the trailer...... I flipped one off of individual ramps, now I use trifold ramps or the trailer. Obviously ramps can work safely(I still use them at times) but be careful. However, my dump trailer takes the thrill/risk out of it

Old 01-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default ramps or trailer

I have 2 trailers one hauls up to 2 ATVs and the other one I could squeeze 4 on it ,and you'll never stop finding uses for it

Old 01-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default ramps or trailer

Trailer!!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default ramps or trailer

I'd say that trailers are pretty handy. It's nice to be able to haul additional quads, so you can take a riding buddy or two and not have to take two rigs.

On the other hand, if I'm just taking one quad, I ramp it into the pickup (unless the 5th wheel hitch is in the back, in which case it is still easier to snag the trailer).

If the trailer is dedicated to ATV's, I really like Zieman's side loader with 4 ramps that slide under the trailer deck. I think there's a photo in my gallery.

If it is going to be a multi-purpose trailer and you like camping and hunting, I think I'd look at JumpingJack trailers. The thing holds two quads on top, but when you get where you are going it folds quickly out into a large tent with 2 padded benches/beds and a table in the middle. If you want to haul yard debris or whatever, the tent part can be taken out, and the sides that flip over to make the deck for ATV's can be put in a vertical position to make high sides.... They look super-handy.

Ramp wise, may as well spend the money and get a nice, long, tripple folder, and always use a safety strap to keep it from slipping off the end of the tailgate.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default ramps or trailer

Imagine what life would be without your truck.... For those of us that have trailers, the feeling is just as real. Although I have a diesel Ram 2500 that I could always put a machine into, I currently own two trailers. One an open double snowmobile trailer, and the other is an enclosed. (See my pics in my page) Both get a workout. I pull the enclosed if going on a long trip, the open if I am staying within a hundred miles or so. Both have their good points and bad. Usually, if one of my friends or kids finds out I am going for a ride, they invite themselves... so being able to haul more than one is a plus.
Currently am really thinking seriously about getting another one to haul 6 machines... but I really want a Toy hauler. If they were not so expensive, I think I'd get one....

Old 01-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default ramps or trailer

hey DB look around there are some deals to be had on used ,when some body is up gradeing

Quick Reply: ramps or trailer