Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

ramps or trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ramps or trailer

Yeah I know... it is soooo tempting... But Mrs DB says I have to pay off the three new vehicles we bought this past year, and her new ATV first...

Old 01-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ramps or trailer

yep have to listen to the Queen of the house .

Old 02-24-2008, 04:55 AM
Range Rover
Default ramps or trailer

I have a ramp gate on my F-250 that replaces the tail gate. It has to assist spring the make it very light to fold up and after it's closed there are 2 arms that you tighten to lock it in the closed position. You can load a quad in under 2 min. and you have no chance of of it kicking out like a regular ramp as it stays attached to the truck were the tail gate was. It's 4'10'' wide with side rails so you can't drive off the side of it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default ramps or trailer

That sounds sweet. What brand?

DB, If you keep an eye out, RV's loose value hugely and you might be able to find a used toy hauler for less than you think.

Two words of caution: Many aren't wide enough to fit two big utilities in side by side (especially if big tires are involved). Turning them sideways is a real pain. Secondly, if you go 5th wheel with a 250 or SRW 350 pin weight overloading the rear axle will often limit how big you can tow well before you reach the recommended towing max towing capacity or gross combined weight rating.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Range Rover
Default ramps or trailer

It's a Redi Ramp made by Metko Inc. Ph. 920-898-4221

Old 02-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Range Rover
Default ramps or trailer

The only "con" to owning a trailer, other than having a place to store it, is that one of your "friends", who hasn't spoken with you in years, calls you out of the blue, because he's getting ready to move, and found out that you own a trailer. Can you help me out, ol' buddy, ol' pal? It won't take long! Of course, those of us with pickup trucks already know that song and dance!

Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default ramps or trailer

Yeah thanks. My enclosed is a 7 ft wide. I bought it because of teh last one you didn't mention. It is hard to see around an 8 ft wide one. My Truck is huge, but the snowmobile trailer is wider than it. AND it takes a lot of concetration to keep from getting into trouble with it floating into other lanes. I started looking at a Triton 22ft that can haul 6, but have lately been looking at a 16 ft that can haul 4. Cost is half what teh 22 ft is, and is a side loader, so it is narrow enough to see around. Because I have an enclosed now, I like teh security of having everything inside out of sight, but in reality, it is harder to load, much heavier and in this day of $3.70 for a gallon of Diesel fuel, that is a huge factor. These days it is all about ease of use for me, and the side load open trailer looks better every time I think about it.
I pull a trailer almost every week... and backing up an enclosed trailer can be a chore in some of the places I go. All in all though, I think the trailer is THE way to go.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default ramps or trailer

trailer is nice for lots of reasons but I love my ramp. have a 98 Dakota V8 and my mom has had horses for years. when we first got dirbikes as kids we just used the wood plank ramps that we had used to load horse wagons but after getting atvs we got an aluminum tri-fold ramp. Its awsome. Isnt very heavy and has chains that clip to tailgate or bed hooks so it doesnt slide off if u hit the gas. Great for bikes too cause when you roll off backwards its much wider and if you have to you can put your feet down on the sides. I don't remember exactly where I got mine but ill look for a similar pic... Strong too, i used it a few times to put my snowmobile in the back of the truck too and those are HEAVY. With my wolverine and Polaris Trailboss the folded ramp slides right under the center of the ATV and i can close the tailgate. with my quadzilla it didnt have the clearance but i put it on the side with no problems...

Old 02-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default ramps or trailer

looks just like this