Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Different type toy hauler

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different type toy hauler

When it comes to towing esp if you do it allot you will never go wrong w/ a diesel truck. In CO 92% of 3/4 truck sales are diesel becuse of the types of roads that we have here. If you keep your truck more than 8 years it will pay for itself, this is why I want one that and the fact no gas engine will match the torque of a diesel at low RPM. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer

PITA ?

I'm sure gas stations will be fun. May not have to worry about it with gas prices going the way they are.

We had talked about trading trailers and getting a toy hauler type but my 5th wheel is paid for. We deliberately stayed away from the RV show this year because
I didn't want to end up buying one. We looked at them last year and decided it would be awsome.

We really liked the longer models where you can use the garage as a screen room and not have to use it as sleeping quarters. (it's just me and her, kids are gone)
Would not have to have a monster trailer.

I already bought a small utility trailer for short trips that do not require overnight stays. At least for this year, I think I am going to add a hitch on the back of the 5th wheel.
My 460 gets 8 miles to the gallon no matter if I am pulling a house or running empty. Not planning any long trips for this year, just a couple of short trips to see if we actually
enjoy it. (ok, a couple of short trips to see if she actually enjoys it, I already know I will)

Old 04-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

PITA = pain in the a$$ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I camped next to two families with 5th wheels with garage in back. They were big! One was being pulled by a duelly, the other a 3/4 ton. I don't think the 3/4 ton was enough truck as it was in a "v" when they pulled out. Be sure you cjeck the garage dimensions if you have large quads. One of the guys told me he could not put larger tires on his wifes quad as it would be too wide for the garage. My platform is 8'4" wide and I have just enough room for my two 500 Touring models.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer

Good post, wanted to share my experince for the diesel crowd. Prior to a couple years ago I was driving a 93 Ford F350 7.3 manual. Great truck would puull anything. Went through a couple differnt gas trucks then bought a 36 ft trailer and needed more power. Always heard about how great the cummings was, took a chance on the Dodge and to date am very happy with my choice. My trailer empty is 8000 lbs, I haven't pulled one this big before so was nervous. After getting familer I love the pull with a four wheeler in the bed. I understnad the price vs gas but diesel is way better pull IMHO than gas will ever be.
Concerning the toy hauler, tried to get my wife to buy one but she wanted more room. I I didn't love her I would have one. Just my thoughts

Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dugger10

Good post, wanted to share my experince for the diesel crowd. Prior to a couple years ago I was driving a 93 Ford F350 7.3 manual. Great truck would puull anything. Went through a couple differnt gas trucks then bought a 36 ft trailer and needed more power. Always heard about how great the cummings was, took a chance on the Dodge and to date am very happy with my choice. My trailer empty is 8000 lbs, I haven't pulled one this big before so was nervous. After getting familer I love the pull with a four wheeler in the bed. I understnad the price vs gas but diesel is way better pull IMHO than gas will ever be.

Concerning the toy hauler, tried to get my wife to buy one but she wanted more room. I I didn't love her I would have one. Just my thoughts</end quote></div>

What year of Dodge did you buy? I have two brothers w/Cumming's in my family 96 310.000 miles and 01 w/ 320.000, mine is Hemi w/ 60.000 the 96 has been fixed up by Dr. performance and is putting out 1200ft lbs torque. Dad has a 04 w/65000. All of us are proud Dodge owners!

Old 04-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Trailblazer

This is my first Dodge, 07 3/4 ton heavey duty. My uncle is suggesting I get the chip for 600 bucks. Will give me better fuel and more power. So far this truck is wonderful to drive, great pull, ride could be a little better. One of my friends has always driven didge, I ask his opion before buying and he highly recomended. I have always heard doge was a good motor but the body fell down around them, guess I'll see but so far I'm really enjoying this truck, except for the 100 buck fill ups.
Oh yeah, I understand theres and issue with the fresh air intake, seems it gets clogged up if you go daown dusty roads often, heard anything about this ?

Old 04-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Trailblazer

Also love your saying " Please don't be the one who ruins it for the rest of us". Great

Old 04-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Trailblazer

At one time, me my brother and my Dad all had F250 Supercabs w/460's. Dad is gone now and all 3 trucks are gone. When Dad got sick, I drove his truck and pulled his 5th wheel to my house to sell it for him. He had a 35' Coachman with a standup bedroom and 16' slide out. OMG He and Mom pulled it to Texas every winter for 5 years. I only pulled it 50 miles and it just beat you up every step of the way. Trailer wheels were too small and only 2 axles (10,000 lbs) should have had 3 axles. No problem getting it rolling or driving whatever speed you wanted but you could run over a dime with the trailer and tell if it was heads or tails.

I still run a 460, my brother just traded his 95 for a 2000 with a Triton V10. Neither of us pull much anymore except utility trailers. In years gone by, when gas was under $1.50, I put about 8000 miles on our 5th wheel with my 1st 460 and my brother put about 3000 on my trailer using his 460. Never had any problems. The 460 loves gas but doesn't lack anything on power.

My new to me 97 Supercab has the E4OD with a 410 rear end so I am anxious to see if it pulls any different. The truck I killed in December was a 96 Supercab with a C6 and 355 rear end.

I looked at some toy haulers on ebay but even used they seem pretty pricey. I think for now, I'll sit tight with the 5th and see what happens come November.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:27 AM
Trailblazer

The 460 is like the Chev 454, greatest engine I ever owned but you right the loved the gas. Could pull the house off the foundation.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer

I had a mid 70's GMC with a 454 and a mild cam. I like the 460 better (prolly coz of fuel injection) but the 454 was incredible. Pistons were the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

Quick Reply: Different type toy hauler