Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Toy hauler

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008 | 05:21 PM
|
Pro Rider
Old 04-15-2008 | 05:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Toy hauler

The little v6 in that ford van isn't going to be good for much hauling, especially on the highway. Even with the 5.2 v8 in my dodge I spend half the time with the pedal on the floor and still can't maintain speed on the hills, which is really annoying. If all you use that van for is hauling one quad in the back plus your gear it would be fine, but forget towing any kind of weight without at least a 5.0 if not the 5.8.

In my opinion full size vans shouldn't even have the option of a v6, they aren't any more fuel efficient than a v8 because they're overworked with all that weight, the overworking of the motor makes them unreliable, and they just aren't good for any kind of hauling. Even my s-10 with the 4.3 v6 didn't haul very good, and that truck weighed less than half of what that van does.

You should easily be able to find something better than that for around $1,000. It doesn't look to be in the best shape, and that's a lot of miles for a work van knowing that they usually aren't treated very carefully since the person that drives it usually doesn't own it. You might have to go as high as $1,500 or a little more, but you're better off spending a little more and having something that can do the job well, and reliably.

Old 04-15-2008 | 08:37 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Toy hauler

yeah... the V6 probably wouldn't be that good of a deal plus i wouldn't go all the way to PA to get it when there are plenty around here locally. as far as petal to the medal i'm usually in no hurry to get anywhere man you just got to go with it. i pulled a 16ft trailer with 2 4wheelers with my v6 blazer it didn't get the best gas millage but it did alright.

Old 04-16-2008 | 12:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Toy hauler

Yeah, but what i'm saying is that even with my van floored I still end up going up some of the big hills around here at 40 mph on the highway, which to me is unacceptable. I don't know how much is related to my carb problems, and my engine being worn out, and the 3 speed automatic isn't exactly optimal for towing. Mainly my point is it's better to have more power than you need and just have some in reserve, that to be giving it everything it has and still going much slower than the flow of traffic. You'd definitely be pushing your luck if you expect a v6 in a full size van to do well towing.

Seems that the V8's are usually much better designed engines than the v6's anyways because the flagship high end models get the v8's. There's only one 6 cylinder engine that I would ever consider in a full size vehicle, and that's ford's I6 300. That engine is torquey as *****, just about as powerful as most modern v8's, they're one of the most reliable engines ever built, and they get near 20 mpg when you're not working them hard.

I know I'm going to make sure that the next vehicle I get will be powerful enough that I will be able to keep up with the flow of traffic without having to overwork the engine and trans. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of getting a mid-late 80's crew cab ford f-150, with the 302 and a 5 speed trans. They're one of the most reliable trucks that ever touched the road, and it seems that it's near impossible to slow down a 302 with a 5 speed no matter how much is chained to the bumper. After buying my s10, and then again after buying my van, I told myself I would never buy another vehicle with an automatic, and this time I think i'm holding to that. If it means that I won't get another van, then so be it. I just don't get along well with automatics.

Old 04-16-2008 | 08:12 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Toy hauler

I'm not that big of a fan of automatics but they can be convienent thats about it. the 300 inline 6 was a good motor. i had a jeep with a 258 i6 it wouldn't go fast but it would crawl up anything. but then again it did have a turbo 400 for a tranny which was pretty oversized for the motor but it got the job done. i'm just kind of shoping around waiting for that one that jumps out and says buy me buy me i still have some time before summer. and never know it might end up being like you said an 80's truck. my buddy had an 89 ford with the 302 and the 5speed the granny gear in that thing was a beast.

Old 04-16-2008 | 09:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Toy hauler

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: justhanginout

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Ford-E-450-Super-Duty-Cutaway-15-Parcel-Van_W0QQitemZ330227767952QQcmdZViewItem
">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...2QQcmdZViewItem
</a>

this would be the bomb</end quote></div>

just buy this one it's only got 75,000 miles but i'll say the 6.0l only gets 12 mpg, we have one in a 1 ton work truck and the gas mileage sucks in it compared to our dodge or chevy's

Old 04-16-2008 | 09:44 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Toy hauler

what is a pretty sweet ride. i might have to look into it a little bit more. i drove by a place by my house called the public auction that had some old Uhauls..i'm not sure if they are selling them or not

Old 04-16-2008 | 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Toy hauler

Call up the uhal places in the phone book, everyone around here has two or three foe sale at any given time.... And you could cut you a cab acess door like the one on ebay.

Old 04-16-2008 | 10:46 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Toy hauler

Thats a good idea. i never thought of calling the UHAUL places out right. I think the big part of it is i really don't want to spend over 1500 on something i'm going to use maybe once or twice a month.

Old 04-16-2008 | 10:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default Toy hauler

then go get a truck payment and have a dialy driver, your options are limited..

If you do buy something old, you will have to put money into it, and judging from your old yota, you'll put money into something new too...

By the way, Didn't you say you only got 12 mpg in that truck or am I thinking of someone else????

Quick Reply: Toy hauler