Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Toy Hauler Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy Hauler Newbie

Hi I'm totally new to toy hauling. My hubby and I bought an 08 American Freedom 24 footer in late Feb. and then put it into storage as we weren't going to be able to use it due to work schedules. So now were finally able to go out with it and it now April. The batteries are dead, is this normal? My dad let us borrow his battery charger and right now I'm charging them, one at a time, but I can't get the generator to start because of the batteries (right?) How long should it take to charge the batteries and be able to use the generator and the water pump?

Old 04-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The batteries should not have gone dead in two months, unless something was left on. I'd look for a light, furnace, water pump, or something else that was left on. Check the break-away switch. If that got pulled, it will kill batteries promptly.

Even the best deep cycle RV batteries don't tolerate being drained down below about 10.5 volts too many times, and if they were flat dead and allowed to sit like that for 2 months it may have ruined them.

Anyhow, assuming they might recover, how long it will take them to charge depends on how large the batteries are, how big the converter/charger is, and what type it is (multi stage electronically controlled, or a cheaper single stage...

Be sure to check the water level in them before charging. Make sure the plates are covered, but don't get them too full as the electrolite level will rise as they charge, and as temp increases.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

I Bought my first toy hauler in May 2005
Boy what a learning experiance
We bought a 28' Desert Fox
My wife and I have found it is like keeping up a house but you never think of it that way but I have a simple routine
We store our toy hauler under a cannopy we built on our property
We did run electric out and we keep plugged in Batteries OFF
But I installed one of those Battery Minders it keeps the batteries at full charge and has worked great as our origional batterise failed in first 6months
Next
We do have a Generator on board that draws fuel from the fuel station
I make it a piont to go out at least once a month some times more oftin and start the generator and let run about half hour or more I turn the battery switch on and fire up the Gen then I go about my business around the yard or garage
I also make it a point to circulate the fuel (Gas) in the fuel station What I do is simply use the fuel from the fuel station in my dailey driver
Then when the fuel station gets low over the next couple weeks I simply carry my fuel can with me when I fill the dailey driver up at gas station i fill my gas can and replace fhe fuel in fuel station on toy hauler
I also go the extra mile and use fuel stabalizer
I do keep vents open and we have a fan we just let run during the summer months
This works for us as we have had very few issues once we determined a basic maintnance sahedule
Then when you want to simply load up and go your toy hauler is up to the task
We have also set ground rules as we also have friends go out with us
Mostley it is the guys go out riding but
If you go out and enjoy the comforts of toy hauler You Must partisipate in Cleaning as many hands make light work
We get no complaints on that
You can determine your own schedule as to what works for you
Thanks
And enjoy your toy hauler
Ray

Old 04-30-2008, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

WOW SMFREY said a mouthfull. Maintenance is key, toy haulers aren't made by ronco, you can't just park it and forget it. If you look inside your hauler there are a few things that always draw power... The radio, the CO detector, the propane detector etc.... Like SMFREY there are a few things that I do.
1. Use Stabil........
2. Start the Generator and run it at least once a month.
3. Use a tire protectant or cover on your tiers.
4. Keep the fridge ajar.
5. USE IT!

Since I live on a military installation I am required by regulation to store my trailer in the RV lot. So I must go to the lot and perform my checks monthly. It's well worth it. While serving during the cold war I learned that equipment that we didn't use tended to break down more often. Hook up your truck, tow it, turn things on and off.... The wife will initially roll her eyes, but it will pay off in the long run.
Last but not least, install a battery disconnect switch. The Raptor that I own constantly draws power so I have to pull each and every fuse when I park the trailer.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

One of the critical things that hasn't been mentioned is that it is necessary to check the roof and around any openings a couple times a year.

The sealant around vents and stuff will eventually deteriorate and crack. A leak around the front cap, vent, or a window or something can cause rot and mould- so it is important to catch any cracking or gaps promptly so the old sealant can be carefully removed and new sealant applied.

Many RV's have an EDPM roof, with is basically a rubber membrane but it resists UV damage. Any sealant or cleaner that contains petrolium can destroy the membrane. Dicor is one of the big producers of EDPM roofs, and they also make self-leveling lap sealant, and cleaner/conditioner that is safe for the roof.

The other thing a new RV owner might not realize that could be costly is that running an ammonia absorption type fridge when it is too far from level can damage the cooling unit...

Old 04-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

The battery switch is a must
Mine came with one under the kitchen sink area
So I put the battery minder at the switch on the battery side and simply plug into the outlet by the sink
But I also keep my shore line connected
So on my RV shore line plugged in battery switch off
Battery minder plugged in
Why
One thing I also found is if you keep shore line connected and battery switch on
Your converter will continually put 10 amps to the batteries even when fully charged and boil the water out then batteries go bad in about 3-6 months
Just a little more input there
Thanks
Ray

Old 04-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

One thing I have noticed on ours, is when it's time to go to dump the sewage, you will notice all your friends are nowhere to be found.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SMFREY

So I put the battery minder at the switch on the battery side and simply plug into the outlet by the sink

Why

One thing I also found is if you keep shore line connected and battery switch on

Your converter will continually put 10 amps to the batteries even when fully charged and boil the water out then batteries go bad in about 3-6 months

Thanks

Ray</end quote></div>

Or you could simply pull the batt fuse during storage!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Some converters are little more than a transformer and rectifier, that will continue to slowly drive off water from the batteries if left plugged in.

Better ones are intelligent and are multi-stage and do a faster bulk charge when the batteries are deeply discharged, and will eventually switch to a float mode, occasionally kicking into a desulfide/balancing mode.

Progressive dynamics makes a line of intelligent converter/chargers that are a popular upgrade.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SMFREY

Why

Thanks

Ray</end quote></div>

Or you could simply pull the batt fuse during storage!</end quote></div>

Or you could just install the $10 swith and not worry about the fuse. It is the same thing just easier I think.