Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Total Motorhome Newby - Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total Motorhome Newby - Diesel

Hello again guys, haven't been on here for awhile, but been a member since 04.

I am going to get a 40' 1990 diesel motorhome. I've never driven a motorhome, never started or driven a diesel engine. I see the unit has exhaust brakes, no clue.

You can see I have bitten off a big wad for a guy with no experience to chew.

I can use any kind of tip, any kind! It's really long, 40', no experience.

I currently have a 23' toyhauler and a chevy pickup, so I am qualified for a driver's license, lol. I feel lost. Going to pick it up next week.

Anything would help, I'm starting at zero.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Wow! Hopefully this will work out for you but give us some basics on the motorhome such as make what brand of engine/drivetrain it has (Ford or Chevy or Dodge) and I can give you some good info on it.

A exhaust brake works on a valve that closes usualy inside the exhaust pipe causing back pressure inside the combustion chamber/inside the engine thus slowing the engine down allong with the vehicle. Pretty basic system but its fairly effective. The only major problem is the heat generated aff this kinda brake system but if not used too much you will never have a problem.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:29 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know close to zero about them myself. At 40' that must be a <u>diesel pusher</u> (engine in the back) about the size of a Greyhound bus. I wouldn't expect it to get more than 8 mpg unless it's downhill. Wherever you take it plan on getting there slower and <u>stay out of drive-thrus</u>. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Best advice is to go to an RV forum. What brand is it and maybe someone can steer you in the right direction.

I had a 34' Holiday Rambler for a while, it was a gasser and was not what I'd call pump friendly. As you'll soon find out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Being a 40 footer, it probably has an actual engine brake, as opposed to the butterfly valve type exhaust brake...

Anyhow, where are you buying it? If at a dealership, some offer driving lessons, and will go through all of the rig's systems.

At that size it likely has a big Cat or Cummins engine in it. As long as you keep on top of the fuel filters, air filter, and oil and filter it should be pretty durable. Also make sure to keep the transmission serviced on schedule. Also, it isn't a bad idea to let the engine idle for a few minutes before shutting it down, especially if you've just been going up a hill at freeway speeds. When under full load the exhaust temp may be up there in the 1,200 degree range, and after a few minutes at idle it will drop down to 300 or so. Shutting the engine down when the turbo is still hot can coke the oil in the turbo's bearings...

Old 09-10-2008, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks very much.

There's a guy in front of me that wants the same unit, the dealer tells me his credit is shaky. I totally hope he bites the dust.

I am in Colorado and the unit is in Tennessee (spelling, jaysus!)

Been looking on you-tube, there's some 'how to drive a motorhome', mostly how and where to position it before making a 180* turn. Mentioned earlier, it's 40'.

My wife has been arguing that there are plenty of motorhomes locally. Well, this one is much better, and the dealer marked it down from $68k to $28k. I made a $26k offer, they said no negotiating. She doesn't agree that I need a 40' motor home. She doesn't know I'm fed up, hence the 40 footer. The key word in this paragraph is 'arguing'.

I'm going to fly a big rig friend of mine out there, he can show me how to drive the long, diesel contraption.

Thanks for the advice so far guys, I can't get specifics on the diesel engine, cause like all salesmen, he doesn't know sh^t.

If you all can give me any tips, especially in the mountains, I thank you very much.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider

Jeffin, I have managed to tee the dealer off enough, $1500 that he usually gets, that there will be no training from him.

I plan on getting ahold of Progressive Insurance before moving it, very well might need it.

Just for you guys that may not know this, I got a dui about 12 years ago. I had State Farm insurance at the time, they told me my premium was going to go up big big.

Called Progressive and they said I qualified to be a preferred customer because of my credit rating, and I would get their lowest premium. They don't go by driving record. My premium actually went down with them instead of sky high with State Farm.

Sure enough, I havent had a wreck or a dui since the '96 one, Progressive Insurance rocks!

Credit record defines character according to Progressive, not driving record. Who knew?

Old 09-10-2008, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider

Not trying to thank anybody in particular above, I really appreciate everyone taking the time to answer me.

The salesman said today it had good pillows? No clue, but I went along with him like I knew.

Thanks again. I stand ready to answer any questions about 4wd atv's, as payback for the info I'm asking for.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Pillows are referring to the suspension. On the back axle, you'll see at least two large black balloon looking things, those are the pillows.

I got tons of tips and info from the rv forum I went to.

If you have any luck like I did, you'll have one thing to look forward to. You'll get a lot of help filling the black water holding tank, but no one will be around when it comes time to empty it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd be careful going that far to buy a motorhome. I once traveled a pretty long distance to look at a 5th wheel toyhauler that was supposed to be in really good shape, because the unit I was looking for is hard to find, and I was ready to buy. I even had financing arranged and had a check in hand, plus insurance for it.

When I got there, it turns out what the dealer considered to be in good shape was not what I would consider to be good shape... Damage and filth that you really couldn't see in the photos...

HUGE waste of time and fuel...

Anyhow, if you can get someone who knows RV's from the area to look at it, I'd highly suggest doing that first.

Quick Reply: Total Motorhome Newby - Diesel