Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Toy Hauler vs Camper + Ultimate Rack Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah an over the bed rack does raise the CG, and you have to adjust your driving accordingly- just as you would if you had a pickup camper, or were driving a commercial truck.

Do be sure you have enough truck, though. A single rear wheel one ton, or even a dually would improve stability. If you wanted the load lower, a flat bed truck could also be an option.

The monster hauler I believe can be set up as a rear loader, if that's a possibility.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

As an owner of a toyhauler, and an open trailer... I have a couple distinct opinions now. first of all, I can rent a lot of cabins and hotel rooms for what I pay out each month on my Raptor TH. Then there is the maintenance costs. Seems like there is always something. Loading an open trailer is always going to be easier than a TH. With that being said, if I had it all to do over, I would not have bought the TH. And mine is a low end model bought used. (22ft) I've thought long and hard about getting a motorhome and pull my open trailer. And although I really tempted, my original argument still is valid. I am old enough to know that spending that kind of money right before retirement is a stupid idea. I'd recommend this. Tow an open trailer and rent a hotel room on those trips where you want to go ride. And take your trailer on those times when you just want to camp out. And save the $ for something else, like a retirement fund, or a new set of tires etc. Kaufman trailers sells units direct to the public for way low prices. Like under 4K pricing. Get a car hauler ...

Old 04-20-2015, 09:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
As an owner of a toyhauler, and an open trailer... I have a couple distinct opinions now. first of all, I can rent a lot of cabins and hotel rooms for what I pay out each month on my Raptor TH. Then there is the maintenance costs. Seems like there is always something. Loading an open trailer is always going to be easier than a TH. With that being said, if I had it all to do over, I would not have bought the TH. And mine is a low end model bought used. (22ft) I've thought long and hard about getting a motorhome and pull my open trailer. And although I really tempted, my original argument still is valid. I am old enough to know that spending that kind of money right before retirement is a stupid idea. I'd recommend this. Tow an open trailer and rent a hotel room on those trips where you want to go ride. And take your trailer on those times when you just want to camp out. And save the $ for something else, like a retirement fund, or a new set of tires etc. Kaufman trailers sells units direct to the public for way low prices. Like under 4K pricing. Get a car hauler ...
Yeah there is no perfect setup for all situations.

For me, I like to ride in an area down by Bend that is a long way from a motel or hook ups, and I don't really ride anywhere that there aren't camping areas by the trail heads.

I agree, though a person can get a lot of money tied up in a toy hauler, and it doesn't pay unless you can use it a lot.

My big 5th wheel TH is older, but clean, leak free, everything works, and it has big tanks and lots of solar- and it's paid for.
Also, if I didn't have the TH, I'd still need a pickup (though it wouldn't have to be heavy duty).

When I retire I hope to spend months in Arizona, which will make owing it more worthwhile.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:42 AM
Pro Rider

I had considered trading our current travel trailer in for a toyhauler, but to be honest the wife and I could not agree upon any. my parents have a 44' and I don't want anything that big, the smaller ones the wife hated inside. Also there is nothing wrong with our current 35' travel trailer, very clean leak free and 100% working.

I do have a 2011 f350 crew cab/8' bed that is bagged so I don't think I am short on truck. My biggest concern is with the strength of this product, hanging half of an 800lb machine on it does make me question it. it would be nice to have the room in the bed under the 2 quads for things such as firewood and camping items.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 1eep
I had considered trading our current travel trailer in for a toyhauler, but to be honest the wife and I could not agree upon any. my parents have a 44' and I don't want anything that big, the smaller ones the wife hated inside. Also there is nothing wrong with our current 35' travel trailer, very clean leak free and 100% working.

I do have a 2011 f350 crew cab/8' bed that is bagged so I don't think I am short on truck. My biggest concern is with the strength of this product, hanging half of an 800lb machine on it does make me question it. it would be nice to have the room in the bed under the 2 quads for things such as firewood and camping items.
The Diamond Back is one of those racks that rests on the tops of the truck bed, isn't it?

Of the pickup bed carriers I've seen, I really like the monster hauler. It is thick steel, and it spreads it's weight along the bed of the pickup.

The disadvantage would be they are really heavy. An overhead hoist is pretty much needed to take one in or out.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

diamond back is like a tonuea cover,nice but it wouldn't work for me loading two quads sideways, I don't think my max will fit. besides over $2k....a bit on the pricey side.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:52 AM
Pro Rider

Hmm, Just out of curiosity... Have you considered swapping your truck bed for a flat bed? You could have the best of both worlds there. There are a few models out there, all alluminum etc nice looking but on the expensive side unless you can find one in a wrecking yard for a steal. You would get a wide platform that could load two side by side and give you room to haul wood, fuel etc. Maybe even squeeze in a gas grill. That may be a much safer setup as well because the COG is much lower since it would not be riding on top of your bed. http://cmtruckbeds.com/

Last edited by Dragginbutt; 04-22-2015 at 07:08 AM. Reason: added link
Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Hmm, Just out of curiosity... Have you considered swapping your truck bed for a flat bed? You could have the best of both worlds there. There are a few models out there, all alluminum etc nice looking but on the expensive side unless you can find one in a wrecking yard for a steal. You would get a wide platform that could load two side by side and give you room to haul wood, fuel etc. Maybe even squeeze in a gas grill. That may be a much safer setup as well because the COG is much lower since it would not be riding on top of your bed. CM Truck Beds CM Truck Beds | Truck Bodies | Replacement | Western Style

yes, my next truck will be a 450/550 with a deck, but for now I want to be able to use the bed for some storage while carrying at least one quad.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider

I hear ya, I've been thinking along those ways myself, but right now I have an 06 Ram with a cummins that is paid for and only has 62K miles on it, and the thought of trading up to a flatbed gives me cold chills every time I look at payments again. My current truck has th e6 ft bed and that is barely long enough for a standard short flatbed but with the overhang, not sure I can get a camper behind me. Besides I want to trade up to a SxS and for that I need a 10 ft bed... so a new truck would probably be a prerequisite. And at $60K for a nice one, I am back into the cost versus hotel argument. I have made the decision to sell the Raptor though. Love the HD gone comment... Been having the urge and get a twinge every time one goes by, but I get over it. Those days are over. So I bought a Mustang GT with a stick in it and am terrorizing the tweens in their Beemers, Hondas and Corvettes. I love the confused looks I get from the girls when they pull up next to you expecting to see some young guy driving it and find out it is a 60-ish balding fat guy with a beard behind the sheel. Imagine dating Santa Claus in a Hawaiian shirt and baseball cap. What a mental picture that is... Worse than a scary clown I bet...

Old 04-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

I would have an issue parting with a non emission diesel also, but 6' bed would be my biggest reason. Its funny when I bought my super duty they almost paid me to take it since nobody wanted a crew cab with an 8' bed...its a 2011 and I have 2 more years of mortgage. I did price out a 450 lariat similar to what I have with a diamond plate 8x9' deck...$72k they will take very little off since I would be ordering it, mostly sitting on the lots are stripped models.

The HD...im not going to say I will never own one again but paying $36k for a bike and then having all the issues I had it is a deterrent to stay away.

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler vs Camper + Ultimate Rack Opinions Please