Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Toy Hauler vs Camper + Ultimate Rack Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya. I really was happy when mine was paid off. Was at the dealer a few weeks back buying my son a used Mustang, at a Dodge dealer no less, and my friend who is now the manager offered me 35K for the truck. It is like new, and everyone wants that year, that motor. I had started out to buy a dually with an 8 ft bed, but ended up with a Single rear wheel 2500 instead. Kick myself now, but I didn't really need a dually. I wanted one.. but didn't need it. My trucker brother in law talked me out of it. Unless I was pulling heavy 5th wheels, I really didn't need the increased maint costs. He was right though that is an itch that I still would like to scratch once in a while. Can't complain about the Cummins though. To tell the truth, I went to buy a Ford, but they wouldn't deal. I was trading a 2003 Ram 1500 with the Hemi, and the dodge dealer gave me what I paid for it new, 3 years old... and the Ford guys just snickered at me. I am soo glad I didn't buy an older Power Stroke Diesel. Just curious, did they get the internal water jacket issues fixed on the newer motors? Anyway, the 35K offer was tempting. But like I said, I bought a mustang GT for myself 2 weeks later. So now there are 2 of them in the driveway. Both GT's, but mine is a stick and it has a Hell of a lot more stuff on it than my son's. My wife just shakes her head and says she will never drive it. Ahh, that was the idea dear... I think if I were to get another street bike, it would either be a BMW 1600 GT 6 cylinder sport bike, or a Honda F6B.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

I had a 96 CTD...wrapped in a dodge, great engine, she pushed 276k miles ...now the bad, 3 trannies and body rotted to heck. previous ford was the 6.4, loved that truck sold it because I needed a crew cab, put over 100k zero issues once the dpf fell off. My current 6.7 just turned 86k miles and has been rock solid and is bone stock, the 6.7 is a totally different engine than the old 6.0h no that was made by Navistar. I have a buddy who owns a diesel performance shop, I have a lot of guidance in my truck purchases...all of the newer 3 are very similar in reliability now, but that ford 6.0 was big issue for some.
My father is running a 07 gmd dually, one of the best years for the duramx...pre emission.

Ah the elusive BMW dream, a lot of hype for a high end bike with some serious known issues! My dealer sells bmw, duc, Honda, kawi, yami and moto guzzi. When I bought my kawi I was going to buy a k1600gt, the sales person showed me a lot of Bavarian cream puffs sitting out back waiting for parts. The Honda F6B...just buy a regular wing, those are stripped so bad you don't even get cruise control.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah... I hear you on elusive. Not sure if it is because parts are hard to get, or because they are so expensive, guys can't afford to fix anything. But Oh man what a sweet ride. I like the F6B because it is stripped of all the fru fru stuff. I don't ride double up EVER, so a queen throne is meaningless to me. And there are so many wings around here, The Rebel in me wants to be different... but I doubt I'll actually buy one. I rode an R-6 and an R-1 for a while. Don't like clip on bars. Getting way too old to be laying over on the tank. And I don't want to be working on and polishing a Harley all the time like my cousins. If I buy something, I want it to be simple and not break. The F6b fits that bill. My older son has a Ducati now, I have test rode them, and find they are the most uncomfortable bikes on the road. Could never stay on one for more than an hour and my commute is near 2 hrs each way. Nope. I have this twitch every time I see the K1600 Bimmer, but man they are expensive. $30K+ out the door. MSRP of 26K... yeah, try to find one at that price.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

prior to the 10 years of HD's I rode sport bikes, that why when I returned I bought a port tourer, much better riding position with the sport bike performance.
the F6B has a slightly different fairing, also 2 hour commute I would be looking for cruise control.
K1600gt sport at my dealer $25k has everything but GPS. the GTL exclusive is way over priced and over 30k. The 1600 has water pump issues, many of them leak. also the wunder wheel just had a recall.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah I had short bed Ford once. Never again.

I had a loaded 03 Ram Cummins 6 speed stick log box quad single rear wheel one ton, and would be happily driving that still, except I got to looking at bigger 5th wheels that would overload the rear axle and tires.

Ended up with my current 06 dually Laramie stick, that is just under 60k today.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

You are lucky to find a K1600 GT for SRP. Here in Northern VA, they automatically tack on $2500 "Incentive". I call it pure profit ripoff. Must be working though, both the BMW and HD dealers do it.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Dually's really are only an adapter and wheels from what I've been told. I can't tell the difference between my SRW and DRW differential.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Dually's really are only an adapter and wheels from what I've been told. I can't tell the difference between my SRW and DRW differential.
This is true. The big advantage is stability with all that weight sitting over the rear axle. And duallies are a pain in the butt In parking lots, drive thrus, tight roads, etc.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah with Dodge anyway, you get overload springs on 3500 SRW and dually. There may be a width difference in rear axle, but 2500 diesel to dually are 11.5" AAM axles.

The extra width, and less tire flex does tend to make things more stable, even if rear axle weight is within what a single rear wheel can handle.

Disadvantages, of course, are having to pay attention in a narrow drive through, and cost or tire replacement.