Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Need input on trailer idea

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:53 PM
sks
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input on trailer idea

I have an idea and I need input as to what you think, if it is a good idea, if you or someone you know would be interested, etc. I have patented the idea but the more input I have when going to the manufacturers the better.

I have patented my idea to improve the tent and pop up camp trailers so that we can haul our ATV's on the top. I know that Junpin Jacks Trailers has something similar but theirs is more or less just a tent. I am talking about trailers like the Coleman's tent trailers, and the High-Low trailers. My thought is that this might appeal to people who would like a trailer, want to take their 4 wheelers with them, but don't want to buy one of the larger Toy Haulers. Additionally we can take both camp trailer and ATV without having an additional trailer, or sacrificing living space within the trailer. This trailer would have lower wind resistance also.

I have attached my drawing of what the trailer will look like. If you click on it it enlarges.

Thanks so much for your help. I look forward to hearing from everyone
KenNeed input on trailer idea-trlview1nolable.jpg

Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a good idea. Structural points require that not only must you have some form of 'tracks' to support and allow the ATV's to roll across the top of the camper but the load must be carried down to the trailer frame. Or, the trailer top must be constructed as a structural piece that can hold the ATV weight. No reason why it can't work and it solved the basic problem of how to haul your ATV and camper at the same time.

However.......I know that someone else has already done this. While I don't remember the details, I know that I've seen pictures on the internet of exactly what you have drawn out - only it's pictures of a working production model. Not sure how this would affect your patent, but youmight want to search around and try to find competitors.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

If you go through th earchives on this site, you will find a guy in south Africa I think who built essentially a long car hauler, then mounted a pop up above about 5 ft off the deck. Absolutely a great idea. he can carry several ATVs sideways, a Rhino off the back and he has a very tidy camper up above with all the creature comforts of home. Not to mention he is off the ground to keep the critters away.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

I have thought about this sort of thing as well. My thoughts revolve around taking the camper portion and setting it on a car hualer type trailer leaving enough room in front and back of the camper ( when not set up ) for a quad. From everything I have heard the suspension on the tent campers could not handle the additional weight, so you have to move it to something more suitable for the weight. I have seen a couple pix of this sort of thing, but do not have them saved.