Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

I am putting my 2-up ATV in bed of short box pickup - am I safe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am putting my 2-up ATV in bed of short box pickup - am I safe?

I haul my new 2012 Outlander MAX XT in the box of my 09 Ram 1500 Crew Cab w/ 5'7" box and 5.7L Hemi. I own a trailer, but I also own a nice set of 7' aluminum ramps, and get 2-3 mpg better w/ the ATV in the box, rather than pulling a trailer. My question is how safe am I trusting the cables that hold the tailgate up? I was surprised to see that the MAX fit, as my 07 Outlander XT that it replaced barely fit. I will attach some pics of where it sits. Tell me what you think. Has anyone had problems with these tailgate cables on newer pickups? Should I perhaps get some 2x6s to put in the bed and drive onto to disperse the weight? I just don't want to damage the truck or the ATV, but I don't want to pull the trailer if it can be avoided. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Thumbnails I am putting my 2-up ATV in bed of short box pickup - am I safe?-imag0330.jpg   I am putting my 2-up ATV in bed of short box pickup - am I safe?-imag0331.jpg   I am putting my 2-up ATV in bed of short box pickup - am I safe?-imag0332.jpg  
Old 07-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I hope you're not depending on that one strap to keep it in place. That's the issue I see. If you're worried about the weight on the tailgate, a lot of people have carried their atv's like that with no issues. On an older truck, I might check the cables on the tailgate itself, but yours is new enough I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

One thing you can do to take some of the weight off the tailgate is to put a plank from the front of the truck box all the way to the end of the tailgate when it is down. It will spread the weight out and take a little bit off the cables. I did have tailgate cables break on the GMC I had for awhile. But they were rusted inside the rubber coating and you could see a bulge in the cable. Otherwise, that 1/4" or so cable can hold up a lot more than your quad.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have had a issue like this. What I did was after the atv was in the back of the truck I slid the ramps under the tires, front to back and put a heavy strap on the front end. This way if the tailgate straps break the ramps will keep the atv from tipping and falling out.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, the only issue I see there is the strap. I wouldn't worry too much about the tailgate. You need to use a minimum of 4 ratchet straps, one at each corner. They need to be attached directly to the frame, not just looped behind the tires like that.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

I think you will be ok as long as you are careful over rough roads. Hitting a rough patch where the truck bounces will put a lot of stress on the tailgate straps. But on smooth roads, I don't think you will have any problems.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

First couple of weeks I had the Nissan Titan Crew Cab with the 7'3" bed I put my (longer than 7'3") Sportsman X2 in the back and put a piece of plywood against the front of the box to keep it from denting the box or possibly harming the rear truck window. It got in there enough that it wasn't sitting on the tailgate. Every good sized bump I could here the tailgate slam up and down. I think that is probably worse on the cables than putting some weight on them and holding the tailgate down with the weight. I now carry it with at least a little bit of the tire putting pressure on the tailgate. It's not an issue with the Renegade or a regular full size machine as they will fit completely in the bed.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

I have a dodge dakota 4 door with a short bed my sportsman 500 fits about like your pictures I use 2 straps on mine have gone on 6 hour trips with it and no issues. I put 1 strap in front going across the back of the tires through the frame and tighten it down good then another strap across the back top of the tire around the frame and torque it down good. depending on equipment and amount of people riding with me I put a hitch rack on the quad for coolers etc when I do that I add 2 bungie cords to stabelize it so its not rocking with the road and of course strap the coolers etc thats on it down

Old 07-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

I have a Nissan Frontier 4 door and my bike sits exactly the same as yours.
I built a box for the front of the bed to keep the unit from rolling forward into the glass and have a cleat to attatch my winch in the front.
The bike sits on top of inch thick planks to distribute the weight (as mentioned earlier). I also run a tow rope from my hitch between the gate and bed then through the racks and down again to the hitch. This is a good way to get around that strap across your wheels. (and more secure)
Bottom line - if the gate fails the bike wont drop.
I did some reasearch and most Mfg say that the cables on your gate are rated up to 200lbs. That is bs but it keeps them safe if there should be a liability issue.
Fyi talk to your local police and see what the regulations are for towing/hauling to make sure you have the proper tie down. Around my way I have been pulled over and checked for the exact same set up.
(Because the bike appears unsecure)
The ticket can be 250-350 depending on the cop and what kind of mood he is in that day.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

i think if it will be fine. just put a couple boards under it

Quick Reply: I am putting my 2-up ATV in bed of short box pickup - am I safe?