Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

What to do??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do??

Ive got 3 quads. Im looking to go camping with the family, with the atvs. So do I buy a rv and pull a trailer. Or buy a camper top for my bronco or do I buy a pop up and build a rack?? I do not have the money to go buy a 32' rv or anything like that so I would be stuck with something smaller. Id be traveling 5-700 miles... Any ideas??

Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The best idea I have seen its these people who used there enclosed trailer to both haul there ATVs/Snowmobiles and as a live in trailer once there parked.

Name:  TrailerJuly2006012Small.jpg
Views: 2467
Size:  37.6 KB

Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've also seen some pretty good examples of people making folding beds in enclosed snowmobile trailers. Coleman stoves or even little backpack stoves are great for heating things up. You can buy 12V lighting at just about any camper place. This way you could probably get all you need for around 5K.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second the enclosed trailer and add creature comforts as time and $$ allow. Gives you a little more protection from the elements than tenting. I had actually thought about a rack on top of a pop up, but they really aren't designed to take the weight of a couple quads.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Enclosed trailer is way to go. Its a very versatile piece of equipment to have. In stock form a 14'er is big enough to handle 3 machines and gear. They are also really easy to customize. A few 2x4 and plywood and you could build some bunk beds or what ever in the front of the trailer.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Range Rover

My brother took a 16 cargo trailer and put some cheap laminate flooring down then insulated the sides and top with the Styrofoam type insulation with the foil looking stuff on one side the put up some cheap plywood type paneling. He cut a hole in the front and put a window unit a/c to where the back of it sets on the tounge of the trailer and put angle iron to support the front. Then put up some rope type led lights and took an rv style extension cord and rigged it to a couple of plugs for the a/c and lights and coffee pot, phone charger etc. And we just throw some old mattresses or cots in on top of the atvs and it works out pretty nice, forgot to mention he put a couple rows of shelves on the front for food and extra storage no bathroom or shower but most places we go have them for campers to use so it works for us and we don't have a lot of $$$ tied up either.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had the same problem when we had a pop up. They are not nearly strong enough to build a rack on the top. When all was said and done, we bought a used Class C RV and just haul the quads on an open trailer behind it. We usually stay within 500 miles of home.

A friend of ours took a 20' enclosed trailer and converted it into a "toyhauler". I was suprised how well it turned out, but he had almost $6000 in just the conversion. I don't know what he paid for the trailer. He put a laminated floor, plywood and insulation on the walls and ceiling, AC unit on the roof, counter/ cabinets/ sink/ microwave along the front wall, generator, and fold up beds along the walls. He folds up the beds, and rolls 3 quads in. It works REALLY well for him and a couple of friends, but probably cost the same as the used Class C we bought.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

That is a pretty cool idea. If I go that way I could build it as I can, instead of dropping the dough at once.

Thanks all!!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer

After looking through craigslist I found many trailers that would work at a decent price, I googled toy hauler images and found a hole crap load of ideas. Maybe we will have a new toy hauler build thread soon!! Thanks again

Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

i would be looking for at least a trailer in teh 18' range to ensure plenty of room, you may end up permantly mounting things such as a small fridge.

As tekrsq pointed out you can find plenty of nice used class c rv's for about the $8k mark, this might sound like a lot but when you are done buying a good enclosed trailer you can spend about $5k just for that. Then begins the project of building what you are looking for.