Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

over the cab atv rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see the ramps in action, just sayin.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by coloelk52
[IMG][/IMG]

It may not be for anyone but me, but I have over 500 miles on it now with gravel washboard roads included and it works great.
Do you have any more details of this? How it mounts and material thickness?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The design / materials are something that I am looking at marketing, so therefore I won't give out that information. I will tell you it is more complicated than what you can see in these pictures. There was a fair amount of engineering that went into this. I have a summers worth of testing and use on it now with only 1 minor change. If someone wantrs to contact me, we can discuss purchasing the detailed plans for it. Not trying to be hard about it, but it took a lot of time and work to get it to this point.

The following users liked this post:
HavOr (12-25-2021)
Old 11-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well you did a nice job, at least it isn't cobbled up. But I've loaded hundreds of times, from the back, from the side etc. And under perfect conditions, there isn't any issues. But I have loaded when the ramps/tires are wet, and have had the tires slip sideways and dropped the rear wheel off the ramp and flipped. That was only a couple feet off the ground. Getting up that high is a disaster waiting to happen if you have 700 lbs of quad drive a foot peg through your chest. Sorry, but I'd have to pass on that.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Range Rover

Is it made for two wheelers I take it. The other one you load from the front. I would be curious on the front axle weight rating. Putting a snowplow on a one ton diesel can sometimes be hard, the truck "can't handle the weight" according to the fawr. They only weigh about 800-1000 lbs. Now there are two guads on the roof. I do like the concept not having to double two. I don't like the idea of having my quads on top of a $50,000 truck, especially on the ride home when they are covered in mud. Every bump would drop something on the truck. Is it made out of steel or aluminum? I will give you credit you wanted something and you made it happen, not many people are willing to go through the work.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

IN VA, You would probably get pulled over for obstruction of your view ahead. You might need to rethink the verticals to be more on the side of the truck instead of directly in your line of sight.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

No, it isn't made for (2) 4wheelers. and you can only put one quad up there. The measured weight on the front axle is within the axle rating. Thanks tho, You're right, I needed something and made it happen. It's been engineered and proven over thousands of miles. It's interesting tho how some people will "what if" you to death with the worst possible what if this goes bad? Well, what if you get run over crossing the street.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

Do you drive it up or winch it?

Old 11-13-2013, 06:37 AM
Pro Rider

Driving or winching....still takes ***** that I don't have. I theory is good and I'm sure it works, I just couldn't do it ...it would make me nervous knowing all that weight is up high causing a big change in the center of gravity.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!

I have seen a few racks over the years that are over the cab, but are front/rear loaded out of the box of the truck. The takes care of the wind issue because the quad is facing front wards. Also a little easier loading as well. I would be interested in that so that I could carry 3 quads - 1 on the roof and 2 on the sled deck with my travel trailer or a side by side and a quad.

Quick Reply: over the cab atv rack