New top end rebuild goes up in smoke 110 atv china

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New top end rebuild goes up in smoke 110 atv china

Hello, new to the forum but I had a very sad day after rebuilding my top end on a 110 atv. This is a china made unit and I purchased a cylinder, piston, rings, and a overhead valve assembly. The cylinder came with the piston and rings along with the pin and clip. After installing everything and timing it all up, she fired right up. Actually sounded very good with no question to anything. After a few minutes I noticed the cylinder getting very hot and started to smoke the paint off the cylinder. I putted around on it for a few minutes and noticed that it seemed to be getting tight and eventually cut off. It would crank back up but would get very hot and cut off again. I was even starting to get smoke out the carb it was so hot.
The next day I decided to tear it down to see if I had everything right and I believe the shinny ring was on the second slot of the piston and the dark color ring was on top. I changed this to have the silver ring on top. The oil rings on the bottom were okay. I put it all back together and tried to start it but it was just too tight and it would not crank.

After it had cooled from the day before, the damage was done. I checked compression and it was at 30 so I'm done. My question is could the ring being in the wrong location have caused this? I was lost for words when I saw it go out in 10 minutes.

Thanks everyone and nice forum you have here.