Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: nedflanders
Jesse (just4kicks).was Pa going anywhere near as hard and fast as you? that makes a huge diff. are you relying on the idiot gauges or did you actually re-fill tank, check trip ODO and do your calculation from there? I think a combo of factors:1) Dad fudged his #'s a little2) Dad didn't push anywhere near as hard as you3)Axle/resistance/drag on trailer = poorer mileage4)break-in still long ways away for you.5)He's more aerodynamic than you pulling a boat vs. trailer. if you bought extd warranty, DO NOT mod anything. skinner is TECHNICALLY correct that they must prove your mod caused failure.BUT!!!!! my bud is a parts manager for Ford. they have been very aggressive in denying claims for anything modded. just deny it, and let you fight their big huge litigation machine. maybe in 4 years you'll win your case, after a legal bill that exceeds your claim. you want that hassle? they will blame it on the chip, no matter what, even if their theory is flawed and ludicrous. the directive comes from above your local Ford dealer. and Ford often denies the warranty submission from their own dealers, so dealer won't take too many of those bullets before they pass Ford's directive onto you. I removed my chip when i blew my tranny. they still knew i had chip tho. maybe it leaves other finger prints like MD described. Either way, you paid big $$ for truck, big $$ for the extd warranty, it's not worth it to take a chance on a potentially massive repair bill.
Yes. CHIPS leave there mark. Programmers do not.

Old 09-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

Woah. We just called the Bomb dealer and they told us theyre installing a whole new CVT in the 'Lander. eek
Thats a whole new tranny.

Old 09-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ned, I agree. With that said I'm back to my original belief that I shouldn't mod anything, well, maybe a K&N air filter.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I always use my OD numbers and divide by number of gallons it takes to fill her back up to get my milage numbers. Sometimes it comes very close to the computer numbers but I don't rely on it.

Factors:
1) Knowing pa, I wouldn't doubt that one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
2) Could be I was a bit more aggressive
3) Definately a big drag factor on the 5th wheel...she's just over 12'-0" tall. The boat had the cover on it as well
4) Break-in may not be for a while...I don't drive her too often
5) Back to No.3

I've also heard about putting in a chip and later removing it only to have them tell you, "psstt...we know what you've been up to". Big brother is watching....somehow.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I'm guessing they pick up something on the Fuel Trim information on the OBD-II or they are using some of the manufacturers codes to keep information on boost, fuel, fuel flow, etc. It's amazing what those black boxes can do. Does anyone know EXACTLY what the chips do? Adjust fuel timing, fuel flow, boost, etc. Though I'm sure the chip makers don't want to tell you exactly.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 09-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: powerstroke01
Woah. We just called the Bomb dealer and they told us theyre installing a whole new CVT in the 'Lander. eek
Thats a whole new tranny.
So it will be ready around mid October then? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Sheesh.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 09-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Originally posted by: powerstroke01Woah. We just called the Bomb dealer and they told us theyre installing a whole new CVT in the 'Lander. eek Thats a whole new tranny.
So it will be ready around mid October then? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Sheesh.
pretty much. we would take the quad to another dealer but they have the bike torn apart.
Ive got an email add im going to give my dad for someone at Bomb.

Old 09-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

If you wanna erase your chip signature just take it out, unhook your batteries and turn on the parking lights. as for tranny deaths ours waited till 101k miles guess what 100k warranty was gone [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] all because their shift program was crappy.

Old 09-14-2004, 07:36 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Oh man, This female friend of mine XFB just told me that her boyfriend put a sticker on his truck "Ive been a bad Cowboy, Send me to your room" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I want

Old 09-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Ohh great creator. I was gonna suggest you use that avatar [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

she looks sweet don't it?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Thanks for the help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel