Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time For A New Truck...Suggestions Anyone

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time For A New Truck...Suggestions Anyone

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 450kodman

buy a ford, chevy, or dodge and help out america man [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Exactly what I was going to say. Its also good to see Dodge coming out with diesel 1/2 tons. 4 cylinders? I think they should start putting little 4cyl diesels in the Colorado/Canyon/Ranger/Dakota too. The Diesel VW Jettas get about 45-50 MPG. America needs to start taxing the imported cars coming in like they do overseas, that will help out the economy!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 450kodman

buy a ford, chevy, or dodge and help out america man [IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

I'll second that. Plus what DV said. The false perception is more powerful than the truth. After the Buick LeSabre won awards for being the best quality in the whole world, the factory closed because some people still thought Toyota and other imports were better than American cars. When the Buick City plant closed 28,000 people who worked there were out of a job and so were tens of thousands of other people who worked where those people spent their money. 35,000 people, 22% of the entire population, moved out of the city. Several schools and parks closed and many businesses failed. There's not enough tax revenue to fix the crumbling infrastructure. A lot of stores closed or were replaced by dollar stores, and even the dollar stores are going out of business because a lot of people don't have a spare dollar to spend there. Auto plant closings affect a lot more people than the auto workers. 1 out of 10 jobs in America depends either directly or indirectly to the auto industry. If we all buy foreign cars we're helping turn the US into a third world nation.</end quote></div>

Also with the rv industry.I'm one county away from the rv capital of the world elkhart indiana,and there have been many factories that have either closed,or moved from the area.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer

Thankx for the feedback everyone, I argree 100% with what has been said. I simply more that HATE the idea of puchasing a import product. This truck will be the first one 4 me if I do.
But lets face it.......we have all either had to deal with or know some who has had to deal with domestic car mfgs attiude of "you bought it so it's your problem". Topping it off of the potential of a car company going under voiding thier warrenty and potentially scarce part availablity, sits very uneasy. I'm very temped to pick up somthing cheap to drive the next 12-18mo to see if Detroit can hold out like they claim.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cannot speak for (GM or Dodge), but FORD should be fine down the road. They started there restructuring 2yrs ago...and it is going to pay off. The BIG reason FORD has slumped sales...is that folks cannot get a loan due to the financial crisis. Not really the FORD product...

Can you tell...I am a FORD guy. I currently own a '03 F250 SuperDuty SuperCab 4x4 XLT. LOVE this truck! However...the '09 F150 is a fantastic new designed truck. With the 6spd tranny and available e-lock rear diff...and the list goes on and on. Might be my next buy...or another new F250. IMO...the best buy right now is the '08 F150. Since they are trying to move inventory...you would be able to save some serious $$$.

Good luck with the truck you go with...

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

It's like picking what make ATV you want. They are ALL making some good products. I am on my second Ram in less than 4 years. Only because my 2005 was on a 39 month lease, and they bought out 3 months then offered a new 08 with more on it for the same lease payments. Mine is a 1500 Quad cab 4X4 Hemi. I haven't had any problems pulling a trailer with 3 quads on it, or my 20' inboard jetboat. Probably the best bet is price. Go for the deal if you like the looks and equipment on what ever truck you are interested in. If one company won't give you a great deal right now, go to someone else My son got a great deal on a Ram like mine back in October. With all the rebates, about 17,000 off sticker!!!!! 38,000 sticker for arount 21,000

Old 01-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

Howdy yall,

I know it's been a while on this post but I really want to update people with what I found after a ton off research and test driving. I ended up with a picking the 2008 F150 crew cab 4wd, but here is a good starting points for anyone who ends up in the shoes I was in a few months ago.

Every truck mfg puts out a very good product, but here are some of the highs and lows I discovered.

2008 Ram:

+ American Company
+ HEMI is very Powerful
+ About 19K out the door
+ Feels Like a Truck
+Best looking Truck (subjective I Know)
+Tons of interior storage

- Thirsty as all hell
- Interior has a ton of hard plastic, Seems like it would be a rattle can in no time
- 6'3" bed sucks because you can not close the tailgate when the quad is in the back
- Back seat is somewhat cramped

On a side note: I did drive a 3/4 ton Ram with the Cummins. If I needed a HD truck I would have bought it on the spot! That Cummins is one hard workin BADASS motor!

2008 Silverado:

+American Company
+Small block Chevy reliability
+By Far the Best Gas Milage of all the trucks. 20+ MPG on the freeway no problem
+Very refined and comfortable interior
+ Certainly had the best road manners of any of the trucks.
+ Tow/haul mode was by far the best performing of any of the trucks
+ About 21k out the door.

-Felt a little too car like for my taste. Has somewhat low ground clearance, ect.
- Very lightly sprun, a 500lb quad in the bed whould have the headlights searching the trees for spotted owls.

2008 Tundra:

+ This thing would flat out move with sports car like acceleration.
+ Nice, well layed out, comfortable, more gismos than the space shuttle interior
+ Best warranty of the bunch
+ Great road manners
+ Don't know if it's the company's approach or just the dealer I was at, but they seemed to be much more freindly and less pushy telling me what I need. You didn't get the feeling of "buy somthing or quit wasting my time" at the Toyota dealer. I know this is a small thing in the end but it was nice not having three salespeople shoving their card down your throat and humping your leg a soon as you walk in the door.

-Japanese Company
- Best Price was 28K out the door.
- Gas milage was so-so at best. (The truck's power would make up for the expensive fill ups though)
- The Drivetrain to me did not seem to have the same "stout" feel like the Domestics do.
- Even though the truck does have Toyota reliability behind it. It just did not seem to have the feel that it would be able to handle the daily abuse of being a farm or work truck.
- Aftermarket is not there yet like the domestics, with all kinds of custom lift kits, tool boxes, ect.
- I am planing on driving this truck into the ground like my last one. I have to say this one did influence my desition quite a bit.....HOLY #%&* are replacement parts expensive!!! Thought they would be more inline with the domestics since they are being made in America.

2008 F150

+ AMERICAN COMPANY
+ Pretty good gas milage
+22,5K out the door
+ Roomy Interior
+ Very stout feeling chassis and drivetrain
+ Was able to still get a full 6.5 foot bed in a crew cab.

+/- Hopefully will last like my last F150 did

- Not nealy as powerful as the other trucks. It's not disappointingly slow at all though
- Ride is somewhat stiff and bouncy when compaired to the others.

So I guess you can not go wrong with any of them at all. It just picking what suites your needs best. I have to say though looking under the hood of my truck everything reads "made in mexico" , "made in hondurus", ect. Lets say a prayer for Detriot and hopefully they learn to run a business and provide us with a true American vehicle instead of outsourcing jobs overseas to make up for thier business ineffciencies.

-Beer Season

Old 01-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>buy a ford, chevy, or dodge and help out america man </end quote></div>

If I'm not mistaken, my Dodge was made in Mexico...

Seems like Toyota and other "import" brands are more likely to be built in America than the so called American brands.

Anyway, if it wasn't for the big toyhauler I wouldn't need a heavy truck, and if it wasn't for the Cummins I wouldn't have went Dodge.

In a 1/2 ton I'd probably look hard at Toyota, and Ford (previous Ford guy). As much as I like the American brand trucks, the GF took a Toyota out for a test drive and I'd have to say they have better fit and finish, suspension, and generally seem more refined.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>buy a ford, chevy, or dodge and help out america man </end quote></div>

If I'm not mistaken, my Dodge was made in Mexico...

Seems like Toyota and other "import" brands are more likely to be built in America than the so called American brands.

Anyway, if it wasn't for the big toyhauler I wouldn't need a heavy truck, and if it wasn't for the Cummins I wouldn't have went Dodge.

In a 1/2 ton I'd probably look hard at Toyota, and Ford (previous Ford guy). As much as I like the American brand trucks, the GF took a Toyota out for a test drive and I'd have to say they have better fit and finish, suspension, and generally seem more refined.</end quote></div>
Actualy your truck is only assembled in Mexico and IMO, and what i have seen first hand do a better job at that than the Americans. The Tundra is one H of a truck but to consider it a 1/2 ton it is not I dont care what the nameplate says. If you are going to speend that much money on a truck might as well go with a true 2500 that will out pull,out haul and if you have diesel and most gas trucks will outmlage any Toy on the road, especially with the deals that they have on todays trucks you can allmost get any American made truck at a 1/3 less the price!

This not a Toyota bash as much as it is me saying you can get more truck for the money spent. If you use you truck as a real worktruck everone should know diesel is the only way to go!

Now the Cummins 1/2 tons cant get here soon enough! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BEER SEASON

Howdy yall,

I know it's been a while on this post but I really want to update people with what I found after a ton off research and test driving. I ended up with a picking the 2008 F150 crew cab 4wd, but here is a good starting points for anyone who ends up in the shoes I was in a few months ago.

Every truck mfg puts out a very good product, but here are some of the highs and lows I discovered.

2008 Ram:

+ American Company

+ HEMI is very Powerful

+ About 19K out the door

+ Feels Like a Truck

+Best looking Truck (subjective I Know)

+Tons of interior storage

- Thirsty as all hell

- Interior has a ton of hard plastic, Seems like it would be a rattle can in no time

- 6'3" bed sucks because you can not close the tailgate when the quad is in the back

- Back seat is somewhat cramped

On a side note: I did drive a 3/4 ton Ram with the Cummins. If I needed a HD truck I would have bought it on the spot! That Cummins is one hard workin BADASS motor!

2008 Silverado:

+American Company

+Small block Chevy reliability

+By Far the Best Gas Milage of all the trucks. 20+ MPG on the freeway no problem

+Very refined and comfortable interior

+ Certainly had the best road manners of any of the trucks.

+ Tow/haul mode was by far the best performing of any of the trucks

+ About 21k out the door.

-Felt a little too car like for my taste. Has somewhat low ground clearance, ect.

- Very lightly sprun, a 500lb quad in the bed whould have the headlights searching the trees for spotted owls.

2008 Tundra:

+ This thing would flat out move with sports car like acceleration.

+ Nice, well layed out, comfortable, more gismos than the space shuttle interior

+ Best warranty of the bunch

+ Great road manners

+ Don't know if it's the company's approach or just the dealer I was at, but they seemed to be much more freindly and less pushy telling me what I need. You didn't get the feeling of "buy somthing or quit wasting my time" at the Toyota dealer. I know this is a small thing in the end but it was nice not having three salespeople shoving their card down your throat and humping your leg a soon as you walk in the door.

-Japanese Company

- Best Price was 28K out the door.

- Gas milage was so-so at best. (The truck's power would make up for the expensive fill ups though)

- The Drivetrain to me did not seem to have the same "stout" feel like the Domestics do.

- Even though the truck does have Toyota reliability behind it. It just did not seem to have the feel that it would be able to handle the daily abuse of being a farm or work truck.

- Aftermarket is not there yet like the domestics, with all kinds of custom lift kits, tool boxes, ect.

- I am planing on driving this truck into the ground like my last one. I have to say this one did influence my desition quite a bit.....HOLY #%&* are replacement parts expensive!!! Thought they would be more inline with the domestics since they are being made in America.

2008 F150

+ AMERICAN COMPANY

+ Pretty good gas milage

+22,5K out the door

+ Roomy Interior

+ Very stout feeling chassis and drivetrain

+ Was able to still get a full 6.5 foot bed in a crew cab.

+/- Hopefully will last like my last F150 did

- Not nealy as powerful as the other trucks. It's not disappointingly slow at all though

- Ride is somewhat stiff and bouncy when compaired to the others.

So I guess you can not go wrong with any of them at all. It just picking what suites your needs best. I have to say though looking under the hood of my truck everything reads "made in mexico" , "made in hondurus", ect. Lets say a prayer for Detriot and hopefully they learn to run a business and provide us with a true American vehicle instead of outsourcing jobs overseas to make up for thier business ineffciencies.

-Beer Season</end quote></div>

Didnt think 24 MPG's with cold air and exhaust is that bad in my Ram. Heck stock for a 08 is 18 MPG for 345HP motor seems to be on par to me. Even the new 09's with 390 HP are getting 20 MPG try to find a truck with same or more HP getting better than that and I would be amazed!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

Beer Season,
thanks for the follow up post. Sounds like you did your research, and bought a good truck. It is also good to hear that you bought an American truck.

DesertViper.

Quick Reply: Time For A New Truck...Suggestions Anyone