Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Brake Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Brake Questions

I am thinking about buying a 8' x 14' trailer that has tandem axles. The owner states that it is rated at 3000lbs which in PA does not require brakes and this does not have brakes. I will be towing it loaded with three or four quads with a Jeep Cherokee Classic ( small cherokee ). The Jeep is rated to pull 5000lbs and I think with 4 quads and the trailer I will be around 3500lbs so I think i better have brakes on the trailer. How hard is it add brakes? How much should it cost to add brakes if I do the labor myself? Lastly does it need to have brakes on both axles? Sorry so wordy, just worried about getting in over my head here.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

You'll definitely want trailer brakes.
But, IMHO, you're better off just finding/purchasing a trailer that already has them. Retrofitting a trailer with brakes really isn't worth the hassle & expense.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you will want to add brakes. For the loads you are carrying, you'll only need them on the front axle. Unfortunately, you will need to replace both hubs and possibly the entire axle - you can find everything you need at Northern Tool

Northerntool.com

Trailer Drum Brakes | Trailer Brakes | Trailers + Trailer Parts | Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 01-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Jaybeecon for the link. I will be calling them tomo to make sure I can get the right stuff. I am sure I will have more questions as i go about putting it together.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Working for Chrysler I can and will tell you fist hand that the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) brakes SUCK and will NOT handle that kinda weight. I will second Northern tool for a brake setup, A great place to buy!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

I can second that XJ brakes suck. I have tried over and over to find vented rotors but I guess a 2000 XJ SE 4x4 has some weird size that knowbody seems to make. Seems the back spacing is diff than 99% of the others out there. I contacted the trailer manufacturer and he said the axles on this trailer are not set up for brakes and I would have to swap with another axle. Well that sux, so I am looking for that to start with.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Range Rover

I'd go with a trailer with brakes too, even if it's not required in your state at this time.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Does the trailer have brake equipped axles?

If not, I'd pass.

etrailer.com and etrailerpart.com both have a full range of parts/axles.

Both Dexter and Al-Ko have very nice downloadable pdf manuals for free.

Under "Service Information" select complete service manual.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/products___literature

And here, just click on "Owner's Manual".

http://www.al-kousa.com/

It is worth it to save both to your hard drive.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Range Rover

IMO it's probably not worth the $$$ and work of adding brakes to the trailer unless you are getting it dirt cheap. You are probably better off getting a trailer that already has brakes.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:19 AM
Range Rover

I would definately get a trailer with brakes. A Jeep Cherokee specs out at curb weight of around 3200 pounds. So if you are trailering 3500 pounds, you need trailer brakes to help stop all of that weight.

Second, buy the trailer with brakes, that way you get a warranty.

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Questions