Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transporting ATV/UTV

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by conifers4
I'm thinking I could destroy both
Yes, but if you destroy the wench who will bring you your grog?

Old 11-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Yes, but if you destroy the wench who will bring you your grog?
Good point, i retract my previous post.

Back on topic though..ratchet straps are like anything else, you get what you pay for. Also, check the load rating.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Conifers has a point. Even those one inch straps come in a number of weight ratings. I have a pair of 2" straps that are big enough to hold with your cold hands.
Just finished rebuilding a 3000lb winch that someone had abused. ($45 in parts plus a cable)

Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I'll admit I have done some dumb things over the years. Here is a few things that you may want to consider. First is what you are tying to. I used to have a big eyebolt that I had drilled and mounted through the Aluminum deck support on my aluminum trailer. Being educated as an engineer, I even through to put large fender washers under the nuts and double nutted it from both sides of the deck. Well, it was in the center of the trailer, so I would hook two ATV's side by side on it, and use the center eyebolt for both. Well, I have this really nicely formed hole through 1.4 inch thick aluminum center brace now to show for my engineering skills. Luckily I didn't lose the quads. As for thumb release straps and ratchet straps, like most guys, I bought cheap ones thinking oh they are rated for 4 times my weight etc. and a great deal at harbor Freight at 4 straps for under ten bucks is a steal. Until I tried cranking down on one. Bing, there goes the ratchet lock mechanism. I literally applied more pressure than it could take. And thump release straps are the pits. You pull them as tight as you can, and they always loosen up. get em wet, they stretch. In short, they wouldn't make a good tether for a party balloon. I have since learned to buy good quality straps designed for automobiles, at least 2 inches wide with quality steel in the ratchet area. I also learned to never use a bolt on eyebolt on aluminum. I always buy my trailers with a welded steel rub rail like the big rigs have, and I also use Ez-track on my enclosed trailers.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Well i seen 2 problems with that set up.. great setup but up in my areas the back roads where we haul are extremely rough. The back lock on that system was bending under tension. Go you get some good bumps and that thing could possibly bend and come loose even though they make a receiver mount. How are those of us with a expanded metal deck suppose to use that system?
I also never let my straps get close to as damaged as they show in the vid. 4 straps and never had a issue. Always have a few spares in case one gets damaged. Straps are cheap if you watch the sales. With the weight rating on my straps i have a safety factor or over 5 to 1 with just one strap let alone 4 that would bring it up to over 20 to 1

Old 11-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a link My only issue with cheap straps is the cheap ratchets either break, jam or rust to the point where they become unusable. Speaking of which, at least twice a year, I'll soak my mechanisms with WD40 just to keep them working. And any time they are used in rain. I tend to be Mr. Overkill when I buy straps. I also use mine when hauling cars, and occasionally will use them to tow something, so they get abused. So the more capacity, the better. I've seen the ones that envelope the whole wheel over the top and around the tire. Looks really good. Might have to invest in some. They are not going to move with those.
ATV Wheel Bonnets

Last edited by Dragginbutt; 11-16-2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Adding comment
Old 11-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Super Quad Patrol

The biggest problem with straps are people buy the cheapest ones they can find. They look at the package and see 500-900lbs breaking strengths and go well times that by 4 and i have more than enough holding power. Unfortunately they never take into consideration the shock load those straps and ratchets see. If one strap is slightly looser that the rest then it is going to see a far bigger shock than the straps can handle if you it a large bump. Also alot of people will just toss them on the deck or in a pile after they are done and if they are wet then they are going to start rotting. Right now my straps are 2500lbs breaking strength and still really not were i want to be. When they get wet and dirty they get maintenance and hung to dry. In the future i will be getting a set of those wheel straps once i look into how im going to mount them to my mesh deck securely.
Always makes me wonder why people will hold $10000-20000+ worth of machines with a $10 strap and 1/2 the time its not even tight. Heck on my old home built trailer i was severely over kill since it had no sides on it to keep things from rolling off if something came unhooked. each machine was 4 x 2500lbs straps, bungee cord on each strap to take up any slack or rough roads, and 2 x 900lbs breaking strengths chain on front and back of machine in case everything else failed.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah it is kind of comical. I see the same thing with trailers, with safety gear you name it. Why put 20K worth of ATV's on a $395 bolt together foldup trailer from the local discount store? Or try to get by with a too small trailer and then complain when it fails. Same thing, can't afford a decent helmet, goggles or boots for their kids, but can easily spring for 6 cases of beer for a party. I don't get where people put their priorities.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Yeah it is kind of comical. I see the same thing with trailers, with safety gear you name it. Why put 20K worth of ATV's on a $395 bolt together foldup trailer from the local discount store? Or try to get by with a too small trailer and then complain when it fails. Same thing, can't afford a decent helmet, goggles or boots for their kids, but can easily spring for 6 cases of beer for a party. I don't get where people put their priorities.
Ya my little girls new helmet just cost me over $200.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I haul my ATVs in the truck bed and utility trailer. While some of the systems that were mentioned look pretty useful, having those things permantly mounted would reduce the utilityness of my utility trailer. I have found nothing that works better for me than good ratchet straps.

Quick Reply: Transporting ATV/UTV