Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transporting ATV/UTV

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
And you should never use a winch to tie down a quad. It's not built for a load that bounces up and down and could break the cable or the gears in the winch. Some winches owner's manuals specifically tell you not to use it to tie down the ATV.
Every winch manual I've read has that warning. A ratchet strap that costs maybe $10 at Walmart is better than wrecking your winch's gears.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I cant see putting your cvt auto quad in reverse, that makes no sense. I don't have a trailer but I haul by Grizzly often in the bed of my truck. For some reason, I can't always find park in the transmission once loaded(curiously it seems to always go in park once unloaded but I never need it then). I improvise by leaving it in low range instead. That's basically equal to leaving a manual shift quad in 1st or 2nd gear. I put a couple large blocks of wood to chock the front tires to keep it from sliding forward and hitting the back glass. I run a strap through the rear rack to keep it from rolling backward and it goes through the ramps too to keep them from bouncing out. It just barely fits in the bed of my extended cab short bed Silverado with the tailgate up. I don't have a winch on it yet and although a winch can be used to hold a quad in place, its not recommended. For some reason the seat will occasionally pop loose as I think a bracket the tab on the seat is supposed to snap onto is broken or missing. Its not an issue when im riding it but I stretch a bungy cord from the left floorboard across the seat to the hole in the rack for the flag just to make sure I don't lose the seat on the way. A second strap on the rear might be a good idea for insurance though but the quad doesn't seem to move in transit.