Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 suburban with 3.42 gears...towing ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:39 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1eep
Dodge mega cab 1500 is built on a 2500 platform, so it wont ride as nice as some other 1500's. Sadly it used to have the lowest payload of any truck, its more of a people hauler.

BG our trucks have similiar intreriors, you just missing things like the upfitter switches and built in brake controller. I do love the nav with sync, it works well, but my complaint is the sound quality could have been better...hey ford how about some real speakers!
I do have a factory brake controller and I believe it's equipped with 6 audiophile speakers & a factory 10" powered subwoofer under the rear seat- it sounds amazing.

I didn't know about the dodge mega cab being built on a 2500 chassis. that's interesting and would explain why it was such a hard ride.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not impresed with the sound system and it is the same, i have the sytem that was in my old truck just havent committed to doing the swap. Ive been debating on keeping the factory head unit and just swapping the speakers for the Polk ones i have, would also have to swap the sub and add my amps.
The fatory sub is only 8", i guess our ears are used to different sounds.

People dont realze the 1500 mega is actually a 2500, take a look at the front axle, it should be a solid unit.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

im not impresed with the sound system and it is the same, i have the sytem that was in my old truck just havent committed to doing the swap. Ive been debating on keeping the factory head unit and just swapping the speakers for the Polk ones i have, would also have to swap the sub and add my amps.
The fatory sub is only 8", i guess our ears are used to different sounds.

People dont realze the 1500 mega is actually a 2500, take a look at the front axle, it should be a solid unit.

polkaudio's are nice- I have $3k worth of polk in my new addition great-room hooked to a denon amp- 8.1 setup- sounds better than the theaters

Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

polk makes a great speaker, i have about $3k in car audio sitting in my garage, it pains me to think it is just sitting there.

denon makes a good head unit, seems we have similiar tastes as i am running a denon unit in my home theater.

OP ...sorry about highjacking your post, ill step back now. BTW, you never mentioned what your towing or what it weighs?

Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut

I think all the major brand full sized trucks (chevy, GMC, ford, dodge, toyota & nissan) will pull / haul pretty much the same, give or take a little- it all comes down to ergonomics and ride quality to me. I test rode the dodge mega-cab & the chevy silverado- and the nissan. The last truck I test drove was the ford- and I fell in love with that truckk on the test drive.
the dodge had the most cab room, with reclining rear seats! but the gas mileage was dismal and the ride was stiff. The nissan dash didn't appeal to me- all plastic and not very many options for the price range- but it had a very quick engine and the gas & brake was super responsive. I spent 1 minute in the silverado and I just wasn't feeling it. looked too utility feeling, and just not visually appealing to me. same old cheap feeling dash controls and I couldn't find a single one with in dash nav- which is an absolute must have for me.
The F150 interior was amazing. woodgrain and leather wrapped dash- digital controls, plush leather seats, nav and the power options blew away the competition in that price range. Cab not as spacious as the dodge mega-cab but not as small as the nissan & the chevy. it was very smooth and comfortable on the road. Not as much pep as the nissan, but way better gas mileage than the dodge. came factory equipped with the towing package & factory installed electronic 5th brake. It'll tow anything I have and fit my family- and get 19 mpg hw.

I'm an option-junkie... comparing the dash of the 08 silverado and my 08 f150 - same price range (or what was available around me in that price range)
Have to admit the Ford interior does look nice. GMC/Chevy designers are slow on updating anything! My son's 2007 interior looks identical to the 2008! At least in 2007 they did give the bodies a little bit of a face lift,but they eliminated the cabin air filter like I have on my old 2000 model among a few other things? I think I'll just keep mine as our spare driver until it drops!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

My fathers 07 GMC dmax dually is maybe one of the best years for GM diesels, right before any emmision crap. However i swear some of the interior items are from a 1986 pontiac grand am, it was the top of the line truck for its year with every trinket.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:09 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

My fathers 07 GMC dmax dually is maybe one of the best years for GM diesels, right before any emmision crap. However i swear some of the interior items are from a 1986 pontiac grand am, it was the top of the line truck for its year with every trinket.

lol!

that's one of the things that annoyed me about my 04 avalanche- I always said it looks like chevy just took the ***** off an 87 camaro and used them in my 04 avalanche!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

last year when i was shopping i looked at a 3500 denali and it still had the same ***** and buttons as my fathers. Im not saying ford is better, just that i find the interior more appealing.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Fords to be honest...had the best luck over time with them...
I bought the Suburban as a people hauler while pulling my trailer with 4 quads and also our pop up camper. We have 2 growing boys so my extended cab Super Duty was getting a bit cramped back there for them. The Suburban was a good mix we thought...big motor, big capacity, and towing cpapbilities... the 3.42 gears were a bit of a surprise but once the weather breaks we will find out its capabilities...
Bought new tires, will get the hitch installed (lie that it has never pulled anything in its 100k mile history) brake controller installed. Trans cooler on it. and if needed helper springs...that is the current big question...will it need helper springs ?Durby...is yours a 1500 or 2500 ? mine is a 1500..and I have a 16' trailer with 4 quads...helpers needed ?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
Well for the upcoming quad season we bought a 99 suburban. It is immaculate for its year but I missed a step in researching it fully before i bought this particular vehicle. It was offered with 3..42 and 3.73 rear gears....I went out last nite and checked out ours and it has the 3.42 gears...I was hoping for the 3.73's. So now that its a done deal and we own this one, what can I expect from it while pulling our 4 quads on a 16' trailer...the truck has stock sized tires, an auto trans, and a 5.7 l motor.
Does anybody here pull with a suburban and if so what gear ratio final drive gears do you have? how does it pull for ya?
Wife and I had a '99 surburban with the 5.7 and 3.42 LS rear 2 wd and had a 42 gal tank (ouch) at fill up time even back then. Truck will have no problem pulling the trailer with the quad's...I'm assuming the trailer has elec brakes so it would be advisable to get a trailer controller inside the cab. Also it's better to run LT tires on the rear of the vehicle along with HD shock's. We had the towing pkg with the reciever and connectors from the factory. Just pull in drive and not OD and you'll be OK if you keep speed's in the 60 to 65 mph range max. I pulled a 27 ft Contender with 2-250's riding on a tandem trailer with surge brakes and it did great. I bought a 2000 F-250 to handle the heavy hauling later and let the wife use the burb for a grocery getter!

Quick Reply: 99 suburban with 3.42 gears...towing ??