Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trucks and where we can drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 08:25 AM
Country Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trucks and where we can drive

Hey everyone!

So ive got a lifted truck that im gonna start driving soon and doing a bit of off-roading. I wont be going to the UTV trails or silver lake or anything but I do go to dirt roads and some of them are on state forest land. Does anyone know if I need ORV stickers for any of this stuff or am I fine since its street legal? im just not sure about the state forests.

Any way heres my truck im working on, anyone else have a lifted truck? What do y'all have?

Old 05-03-2019, 05:25 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never drove anything that was lifted and didn't a ladder to get in a pickup truck If you're on forest roads that a regular car or a 2WD truck could go down, no problem. But I heard a long time ago that you need an ORV sticker if you're going places you need a 4x4 truck. Someone told me the Gladwin truck trails are like that. But I don't know about any of that for sure. You really need to ask the DNR since they're the ones who would or wouldn't give you a ticket for not having the sticker. If you turn off a forest road like a fire lane onto a two-track I'm fairly sure you're supposed to have an ORV sticker, but I never new anyone to get one for that.

BTW, the biggest truck I drove was a 6x6 (10 wheel) M109 Shop Van in the army. The back of the truck had work benches with wooden tops and steel drawers full of parts. I was the assigned driver and I worked in the back of the truck for over 2 years. Half of the time it was parked in a WWII Luftwaffe hanger and half of the time we were parked different places when the units we supported were at a tank gunnery range. I pulled a very modified 2-wheel trailer with it that was the Chief's office. The roof of the truck was about 11' tall and the floor in the back was over 4' high. It was more than 8' wide and over 22' long. The house next to me is only 20' long. The roof of my Silverado is about the same height as the hood, maybe less. It had a multi-fuel engine that burned diesel or mogas. We used diesel but I dumped a 5 gallon can of gas in the tank in the winter to thin it out. It had about the same horsepower as a Chevy Cavalier Z24 or similar small car. It was interesting driving in a convoy down the autobahn with cars flying by so fast I couldn't tell what they were. One passed me so fast I couldn't even tell what color it was except the back of it looked black. The serial number was stamped over so I don't know when it was built. The hardtop looked like the newest part of it and the metal tag on it said 1953. I'll post pictures later if anyone wants to see it. It was basically like this one but older.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:55 AM
Country Rider

lol that would be very interesting to drive. and BTW thanks for your service. Once I get my truck finished (im working on it rn) me and my brother are gonna take trucks off roading in an area near us. There state two tracks and parts of them are on state forest. We also drive on two tracks to get to some of our ORV trails so that why I was wondering if I needed a sticker. Alright thanks, Ill probably end up having to ask the DNR

Old 05-03-2019, 08:04 AM
Range Rover

Well around here if you have a license plate you are legal on any forest service roads, but an OHV sticker is not legal on some forest service roads.

Nice truck. Did you buy it with the lift, or put the lift on yourself? I thought the purpose of a lift was to install larger tires. Looks like you could go quite a bit bigger. It is interesting that you have a 10" lift on your Dodge truck to run 36" tires, and I have no lift at all on my Dodge truck, and I am running 37" tires, on stock suspension.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Country Rider

a stock truck cant fit bigger than 33s. Ford and most dodge can fit 33s but chevy trucks run sit lower so a 1500 chevy couldn't even fit 33s. Somethings not right about that, you couldent even be close to fitting 37s on a stock truck. What truck do you have? Anyway, thanks! I got it with the lift on it. I just got my tires brand new and paid a lot of money for em, the truck was actually lifted a little higher than I wanted but I got a great deal on it since im redoing a bunch of stuff and working on it so its still a lifted truck that looks cool and im getting it for about half the price that its worth! Im gonna have fun parking it in the school parking lot though lol

Old 05-03-2019, 09:14 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You need to pull the block out of the back.. you have one heck of a rake on it...

Old 05-03-2019, 10:47 AM
Country Rider

Originally Posted by Zrock
You need to pull the block out of the back.. you have one heck of a rake on it...
If I pull the block off the rear, the front end would stick way up though. Its got about a 4in rear block

Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by YamahaMoto
a stock truck cant fit bigger than 33s. Ford and most dodge can fit 33s but chevy trucks run sit lower so a 1500 chevy couldn't even fit 33s. Somethings not right about that, you couldent even be close to fitting 37s on a stock truck. What truck do you have? Anyway, thanks! I got it with the lift on it. I just got my tires brand new and paid a lot of money for em, the truck was actually lifted a little higher than I wanted but I got a great deal on it since im redoing a bunch of stuff and working on it so its still a lifted truck that looks cool and im getting it for about half the price that its worth! Im gonna have fun parking it in the school parking lot though lol
That's cool that you got a great deal on your truck. Working on them is most of the fun anyway. Enjoy that truck!

My Truck is a Power Wagon, and running 37s on a stock Power Wagon is pretty common. Some 37s are bigger than others though. BFGs are about an inch smaller than other brands, and fit with no alterations at all. My Falken 37s required some trimming of the front inner fender liners with an air cutoff tool. I don't have a computer at work that will access my photo hosting site on the web, so I will post a picture when I get home.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:07 AM
Country Rider

Yeah thanks. Okay that could be, I was thinking of gas trucks without cutting the fenders. Yeah it would be cool to see a picture when ya get home

Old 05-03-2019, 06:30 PM
Range Rover

As promised, ... I was just getting ready to hook up the trailer so I could go on a UTV ride tomorrow, and took this picture.
37s, stock suspension. And my dog, Amy, making a cameo appearance. Have a good weekend

Quick Reply: Trucks and where we can drive