Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Air Cooled VS. Liquid Cooled

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Cooled VS. Liquid Cooled

I am in the market for a Utility 4X4. I am kinda wavering between the Foreman, Rancher AT, and the 450 Kodiak. One major difference I see in the Hondas and the Kodiak is that it is Liquid cooled. It seems that most quad manufacturers are going to liquid cooled machines. What is the advantages/disadvantages of each? Should it factor into my decision? Thanks.

Old 07-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liquid cooled is a BIG advantage if you do a lot of work with your quad,towing,field work, etc, where very little air flows by the motor,and a lot of engine damaging heat can build up with low speed running, and heavy towing. The same on the trail, if you do a lot of deep mud,or slow,hard climbing,you will heat up fast, and liquid cooling keeps the temps more even no matter if you are moving or grunting over a big rock pile. The only drawback of liquid cooling is more maintainance, keeping the radiator clean, checking coolant levels and such to prevent overheating. But in the long run, a liquid cooled motor will probably last a lot longer, and be able to work harder under bad conditions. I only have an oil cooler on my quad, but it gets rid of a lot of heat on its own, bigger coolers with a fan backup would definately help out an air cooled motor.All the quads you are looking are are great work/trail quads, just make sure whatever you buy fits you and your needs, and you can't go wrong.

Old 07-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Liquid cooled is the way to go....

Old 07-18-2003, 09:19 PM
Range Rover

the hotter an internal combustion engine gets the less power it makes. liquid cooling attempts to make the engine run at a constant temp. i think the foreman cooling system is outstanding. my neighbors have foreman 450's and when that fan kicks it cools the oil and you.

Old 07-18-2003, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

I talked with the Yamaha dealer the other day about the 450 and because it is a belt drive if the belt slips or failes he claimes that you would have to bring it in to fix it. Some thing to consider. I like the thought of liquid cooling but have read in the yamaha forum about h20 pumps and cooling fans failing.

Old 07-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The better performance with liquid cooling thing is for real! If I ride the 400EX (air cooled) hard in the dunes, I can feel it fade right under me as the engine heats up.

Old 07-19-2003, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer

I would say that liquid cooled is the way to go. My AC is the first liquid cooled bike I've owned but the fan keeps the bike cooler, this means the motor is making better power consistently and your legs aren't nearly as hot either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. This didn't have any factor on my decision to buy my AC but it will definitely be a factor in any future purchases.

Old 07-20-2003, 12:41 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Liquid cooled is THE WAY TO GO! Huge advantage over the air cooled machines.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:54 AM
Range Rover

my foreman has a fan but it is on an oil cooler.....tucked up neat and tight under tank...no busted radiators

Old 08-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I guess I need to get a little more specific. Most of the air cooled utility quads have an oil-cooler. What is the advantage/disadvantage of the air/oil cooled quads vs. the liquid cooled quads. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Air Cooled VS. Liquid Cooled