Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

OT: Off Roading With A Hummer

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Off Roading With A Hummer

I was off roading with a friend in his Bronco the other day and there was a Hummer in the group. I thought much of their off road ability was just hype but I was wrong. That damned thing could go just about anywhere. He could sidehill at extreme angles, bounce and claw over just about obstacle and went through some mud that I was sure had no bottom. I was riding in a full size bronco with 38 inch swampers, a fuel injected 460 and C-6 trans, and air lockers front and rear. An excellent off roader in nearly all respects. That hummer just ate it alive. I was stunned. The only trouble it had was its width on a couple of the trails. It is one wide vehicle.

Too bad they are so expensive (100-120 grand). I wish they offered one without all of the civilian extras and would sell one with just basics like the military gets. Bare bones with a winch, central tire inflation with runflats, flat paint, and lockers. The guy who had the hummer said he paid around 60 grand for his used. Cool vehicle and very capable but oh so expensive.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

Even stock hummers are baddass.. But when you mod a hummer it will become unstopable.......

Old 08-10-2003, 06:49 PM
Range Rover

Well the IRS is one good reason why it can go alot more places! They are awesome machines, but I dont have 120 grand to buy one!

Old 08-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

We used to own a bright red hummer. All I can say is thats one awesome vehicle!!
Chicks TOTALLY dig it too. sucks we had to sell it.

Old 08-13-2003, 04:57 AM
Pro Rider

Go here to see more Hummers in action!

Brad is a member here I believe...

Old 08-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an of-road group at my church, and one guy has a Hummer. I took them out to the desert (Rasor for you locals) to a place that has a little of everything. Out in the dunes, for some reason the Hummer's computer would not air down the tires. The thing couldn't get anywhere with the tires aired up.

Then we went down into the Mojave River bottom (Afton Canyon). There are a couple of pretty deep crossings. This guy figured that his air intake was up high, so he hit it at about 30 mph. Well, the water came up over the hood, and swamped his air intake. It locked the thing up for a couple of hours. We had to wait till the engine cooled to release the pressure (from the steam) in the cylinders, before it could be restarted.

All in all, a pretty fun day!!

Old 08-13-2003, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

when you say hummer, you are referring to a civilian HumVee? When I hear hummer, I think of H2.

I love the HumVee, will NEVER refer to it as a "hummer". The H2 is a nice looking ride and all, but I seriously doubt it could follow a stock Jeep Rubicon or any other Jeep ANYWHERE

Old 08-13-2003, 07:03 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was a HumVee, not an H2. The H2 seems to have the off-road capabilities (moderate duty) of a stock truck.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Any time someone says hummer

I just gotta smile

Old 08-14-2003, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RAPTORJAY
Any time someone says hummer

I just gotta smile
LOL, I know the feeling. Today, our secretary was talking about throwing a wedding shower for a coworker, but she kept saying "shower". ALl I could think of was "golden shower" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Man, I gotta quit surfing the pr0n sites. They have corroded my mind

Quick Reply: OT: Off Roading With A Hummer