Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

looking to get a utility

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to get a utility

im looking to get utility im 14 6ft tall and 135lbs i was thinking a foreman es my friends i ride with mostly has sport quads but my dad wants a utility because they are shaft driven 4wd etc. will the foreman climb some pretty good sized hills what is the top speed and will they be able to keep up with a 400ex/z400 in trails please respond

Old 08-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

I'd go with the wolverine. Its a sport utilty but i'm not sure about if its shaftdrive. Anyway its a 4x4 but you can also get a Warn 424 to make it eaier to manurve. And the Wolverine can get up most anything (if not everything) a stock z400 can. It just has 50cc less and quite a good quad from what i hear. Price isn't to bad either.

Old 08-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

it is shaft drive. i recomed it to

Old 08-08-2003, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

how fast are wolverines top speed are they full time 4wd and do they have reverse

Old 08-08-2003, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

NO you want a foreman 450. Take itfrom an experinced foreman rider. It will run over a wolverine. They can climb a brick wall, tow anything, i have had mine to 56, and it went like 53 stock, foremans got selectable 2 and 4 wheel drive, digital screen, everything you can ever want. No real big utilitys will keep up with 400ex and z400s but on the trails they will do fine together i ride with raptors and 400ex and i keep up fine. Foreman 450es is what yopu want.

Old 08-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Foreman450es
NO you want a foreman 450. Take itfrom an experinced foreman rider. It will run over a wolverine. They can climb a brick wall, tow anything, i have had mine to 56, and it went like 53 stock, foremans got selectable 2 and 4 wheel drive, digital screen, everything you can ever want. No real big utilitys will keep up with 400ex and z400s but on the trails they will do fine together i ride with raptors and 400ex and i keep up fine. Foreman 450es is what yopu want.
what about that new rancher at my choicers are either the rancher at, foremanes or the wolverine please help

Old 08-09-2003, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

I would go with wolverine.

Old 08-09-2003, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

if you want a nonsporty, lowrider, tankish bike, get the Foreman.

if you want a fun to ride, sporty, lots of clearance bike, go with the Wolverine. It is FAR less utility and WAY more Sport then the Foreman

oh, and wide open, I think mine did about 54ish

Old 08-09-2003, 03:29 AM
Range Rover

well i think if you dont mind the price of em the sporstman 500h.o. they will climb a tree everything any other 4 wheeler has independatn rear suspension helps out the ride 20 times better and they can fly through he trails you could easily keep up with the 400ex and z400 on the trails and even a little bit off the trails theyll do about 63ish with your weight.

Old 08-09-2003, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

You might also want to consider the Arctic Cat 500i. They have IRS with the most ground clearance and suspension travel. They are not as fast as the Sportsman on the top end (somewhere around 55-60) but they have great low end power and acceleration. Both the Sportsman and the Arctic Cat are pretty heavy but my Cat is very nimble, it surprised me how nimble it is for being so big. The Wolverine would be a fun bike as well, I almost bought one but chose the Cat. I haven't ridden a Wolverine besides a test ride but I'm sure they are a lot of fun. If you are looking for something that is mostly sport then that is the way to go. If you are looking for a utility that is capable in the sporty dept. then I would give the Cat or the Sportsman a look. Honda makes very reliable machines and they are a little more utility then the Cat or Polaris. Not quite as fast but they have some great low end power as well. The Cat can be shifted from 2x to 4x and most-but not all Honda's can be shifted in and out of 4x4 as well and I think the Polaris has on demand 4x4(not sure how this works). The Cat has a hi/lo range tranny,100lbs. front rack cap., and 200lbs. back rack capacity. It all boils down to what you are going to use it for. If it is going to be all play and no work then all of these will be capable with the Wolverine(full time 4x4) probably being the front runner. If it is going to be used for half work/half play with heavy items being towed or hauled then the Wolverine won't be as good as the others. They are all great quads and you should probably look at everything and ride everything before making your decision. Hope this helps and good luck. Let us know what you get.

Quick Reply: looking to get a utility