Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Rancher, Foreman, Sportsman...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2000, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thoughts, input, advice, regrets??
I really like the new Rancher, just wondering on the power end of things, how is it? How about the trusty proven Foreman?
Is the Polaris Sportsman 500 worth the extra money?
Anyone know what the performance of each machine might be?
What would be best for trail riding?
Give me any input you can, Im torn here.

Old 05-29-2000, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

While we are at it, lets throw in the Yamaha Big Bear 400. :-)

Old 05-29-2000, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 2000 Foreman 450ES and do not reget this purchase at all. It is a very tough machine and can handle the bigger jobs. There is plenty of pulling power and torque as well. As far as a trail riding machine, if that's your main use , the Sportsman will give you a much nicer ride as will the Rancher.
Just my 2 cents.

Most of all, have fun and play safe!

Old 05-29-2000, 03:08 AM
Trailblazer

Well I hate to admit it but on todays ride a Rancher showed me what it was made of. I ride a 99 Arctic Cat 500 with a few Homemade mods and I have put down Grizleys,450's,Sportsmans, and countless others. Well today we were rideing and came across a Hole and started playing, we pulled out two Grizzley's, my wheeler, a Magnum 500. None of these crossed it. My friend who has a Rancher with 26x10 swampers cross this hole (not once but twice). Just goes to show you that bigger isn't always better. I was barely dragging bottom but because of my heavy wheeler I couldn't make the steep climb out and the Rancher's tires were a good three inches from the bottom but with it's light weight and improved front diff. a simple turn of the tires and it rode the sides of the ruts out.

All I can say is Honda has a winner in the Rancher

Old 05-29-2000, 03:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The light weight has a ton to do with it. Yesterday, I found a short steep muddy bank that I had lots of trouble going up on my 99 AC 500 with the stock 26x10.5 titans. I had to get a good run and then spin for a second until both fronts caught good enough ground to pull me on up.

Now I tried it a few times right after on my 89 2WD Honda 300 (with 12" carlisle turfbusters on the back- cheap from SAM's) and went right up it! Fairly easy too. The wide rears and the light 430lb weight made it easier for this little 2wd quad to go up than the massive 650lb. 4x4. That blew me away. There are too many other places that the 2wd quad can't go though, so I don't feel like I've wasted any money.

Old 05-29-2000, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

It's true about weight, we have a Quadrunner 500 and an ATC 250es with 25/12's on all three. We use the honda 3 wheeler to check ditches in the winter, and it will ride in fields we cant walk across. It also wont leave a footprint, whereas the quad likes to sink and dig.

I like our Suzuki alot, it has more features than the honda, but the Foreman is a bit more comfortable. Comfort has alot to do with the tires - dont hesitate to make the dealer let you demo it, and let out some air. I have 1.5 pounds in the turf tamers on our 3 wheeler, and it rides REALLY nice. Pressure makes a big difference in ride on the quads too. Good luck.

Old 05-30-2000, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I "think" I have narrowed it down between the rancher and the sp500. What I really need to know is, is there ANY comparison between the two, is the sp500 worth the extra $1500 or so?

Old 05-30-2000, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I "think" I have narrowed it down between the rancher and the sp500. What I really need to know is, is there ANY comparison between the two, is the sp500 worth the extra $1500 or so?

Old 05-31-2000, 12:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you like the Rancher enough to consider it, I wouldn't drop an extra $1500 for a Sportsman. $500 maybe but not 1500. Now granted it is in a totally different class and not really a close comparison in many aspects, but the Rancher is probably the best quad in its class. Maybe better than the 400's as well, though the Kodiak would give it a major run. If you really like it and all that crap like IRS and auto tranny, and 500 engine don't mean as much, get the Rancher. If you are the type of person that has to have the biggest, then get the Sp500. There are a lot of people on here that will tell you that the rancher will hold up better than the Sportsman, and I am one of them.

Old 05-31-2000, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

You cant really comapre the Sportsman to a Rancher , they are in different classes. Is the Sportsman worth $1500 more than a Rancher, only you can answer that, its your money. The Rancher is a great midsize quad, I have had mine 2 months & 300 miles with zero problems. The Sportsman 500 is the big daddy of quads, some call it King of the Hill.

Quick Reply: Rancher, Foreman, Sportsman...