Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Respooling winch

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Respooling winch

Hello Guys,
I am fairly new here. I have an Arctic Cat 500i TBX that I will be using to plow snow. I have a warn winch that I will be using to lift the plow. I have read that ther cable can get damaged due to this repeating lifting and lowereing of the blade. What is the best way to re-spool the cable to ensure a tight and even wind? What other recautions should I take? Thanks!

Old 10-03-2003, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Respooling winch

If you are going to do a lot of plowing, it may be worthwhile to invest in an electric lift system,it uses a small electric motor to lift the plow,very quiet and saves your winch. If you plan on using your winch,the best thing to do is remove your cable, and get a 5 or 6 foot piece in its place.That way, you save wear and tear on the long cable,and prevents it being snarled on the couple of feet it will use lifting the blade. The smaller diameter on the drum will also make it lift more efficiently,saving your motor on the winch.

Old 10-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Respooling winch

If you want to save your cable....I would suggest buying a short piece (10 ft) of cable....take your good cable off for the winter and spool on the shorter one and add a small clevis.

This way you are not ruining your 50ft cable.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2003, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Respooling winch

Now why didn't I think of that ???? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default Respooling winch

Or buy the Montana Jacks system, they have an attachment that goes into the front receiver that positions the winch up over the blade so there is no angle on the cable, just a straight pull in and out. I like their reciever multi-mount set up. Wish I would have put that set-up on my quad before I started buying other stuff. To put it on now I would have to modify allot of already added on components. Although I still may do it.

Old 10-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Respooling winch

I haven't seen the set up...but I can already tell ya it costs more then a 10 feet of throw away cable. But if you got the dough......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default Respooling winch

Oh yea!! You could buy allot of cable for the price of one of the Montana Jacks receiver/multi mount systems. But what you are getting for that money is being able to move winch from front to back, gives a solid attachment point up front if someone needs to pull you, If you do allot of hauling they have different attachments that really expand your hauling capability.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default Respooling winch

If someone cld just give a respooling tip I wld appreciate it also. On a side note, I think the swapping of ur 50' spool for 10' of wire is a great idea BUT what the heck do you do with 10' of wire if you get stuck in the woods/swamp? Just a question, I just bought/mounted my brand new Superwinch to my quad but it wasnt just for plow use.

Old 11-08-2003, 05:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default Respooling winch

1. Remove the hook from the regular spool attach a 7-10 ' length with a chain or cable link, reattach hook to end of short piece.
2. You want to keep tension on your cable while re-spooling. You can pull machine up hill if handy, but i put the truck in N and with the atv brakes locked pull the truck to me while feeding the cable onto the spool. This packs the cable tighter than just holding with your hand

Old 11-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Respooling winch

The 10' of cable is fine if you are just going to push snow, but if you are going to be putting your plow on and off all the time and going into the bush, you may want to think about not using your winch at all and getting a manual lift setup. To respool your cable, do what upnort said but unspool your old cable all the way way out first to respool it all properly.

Quick Reply: Respooling winch