Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

IRS or Straight Axle.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IRS or Straight Axle.....

Action450s refers to the real reason a straight axle is is better for towing. On a straight axle the hitch is attached directly to the unsprung rear axle. On irs the hitch is sprung as it would be on your pickup truck. Any sprung weight added to the bike adversely affects handling. Unsprung weight, although still a problem, has a lesser effect.

Old 10-08-2003, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

I've had two quads on my farm - a straight axle Big Bear, and IRS Cat 500. Between these two quads, there is just no comparison in trailer hauling ability, the Cat is the hands down winner. It is more stable, rides a lot better, hauls heavier loads, controls the loads better due to the torquey engine and manual transmission, and gets over rougher terrain due to the better ground clearance. Not that the Bear was a bad machine, the Cat is a lot better.

Point being - towing ability is a lot more than a live axle in back. It's engine torque, gearing, weight, a lot of things. If the SP500 tows a trailer anything like my Cat (and I hear it will), then you have nothing to worry about.

Theoretically, a lot of weight on the tongue will push down on the IRS suspension, but if you have a lot of tongue weight, you haven't loaded your trailer right and will have other problems as a result.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:19 AM
Trailblazer

That's why I come here for feedback and not blindly follow what a sales person tells me. I am going with the Sportsman 500 that's for definate. A lot of good comments here and I think the last post summed it all up. Basically its a matter of compressing your suspension or not. And like John said there is alot to be said about a proper load. Most things pulled by an ATV shouldn't have massive amounts of tongue weight.....even my boat which is designed to be pulled by a truck doesn't have that heavy of a tongue weight. AND if having your tow hitch attached directly to your axle was so superior then why are all trucks essentially hauling the same way IRS ATV's do...with the suspension compressed. Maybe not a fair comparison but it makes sense to me. Thanks for everyone's comments.

Old 10-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Range Rover

Almost all of the large semi trucks do use solid axles for towing.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Scott your analogy is a case of apples and oranges as the old saying goes. A pickup is capable of legally pulling 3 times or more its own weight due to the solid axle. An irs vehicle has a reduced capacitiy. A road tractor is capable of pulling many many times its own weight as I've pulled over 255,000# myself. They're both sprung to help control the weight at highway speeds and for the most part have brakes on each axle above a certain loading. For the most part anything you tow with a quad will not have the braking advantage. When you slow down the tongue weight increases pushing down on the rear and in turn lightening the front therefore the problem of control loss. Most quads will pull anything within reason but you still have to stop. Solid axle is better. Use mine almost every day.

Old 10-08-2003, 12:31 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

IRS is the way to go.

Better ride, alot more ground clearance, and far superior in the mud. I have had both a solid axle and an IRS machine and I will only own a machine with IRS! I highly recomend the Sportsman 500. I have owned two and both have been great machines. We have owned 5 as a family from 1999 to 2002 models and all have been outstanding machines.

Old 10-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Range Rover

I really like Straight axle better. Less moving parts means less things to fix. For example replacing a CV Joint or Axle can be a lil costly. Having just two in the front is enough but 4? The ride is better on the IRS, but what Quad actually rides decent? I mean its a fourwheeler, It isnt going to ride like a caddy. Straight Axles are more fun and more easy to powerslide and do some donuts and not worry so much about flipping. Everytime my friend tries to do a donut with his 03 Grizz it takes him a while to get it started because of the IRS and its top heavy. All I have to do with my Eiger is put it in second gear turn the front wheels to the left and give her some gas and I have no problems. But different people like Different things, so whatever floats your boat.

Old 10-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Range Rover

If going over ruff ground and getting any on steep trails IRS is the only way to go. I have a sportsman 500 and a Yamaha Grizzly both are great ATV'S But were I live alot of mountain riding that is why I like the IRS

Old 10-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

Again, I appreciate everyone's input. I guess I'll give it to you straight.....for what I am going to tow I think IRS or straight axle will do fine. I am of the opinion that one may notice a small difference in the way it handles when towing heavy loads...but I do have to ride it too and more often than not there will not be anything attached to the rear end. And when there is it will be either a 60" mower, a small manure spreader, a trailer capable of hauling 1500lbs, and once or twice a year a 2500lb boat with tandem axles and a tongue weight of 75lbs at most. So as you can see my bigger concern is to remember to use low range during these times as to not wear out my belt driven Polaris (although aren't they lifetime belts now?). I think that we could all agree to some degree, that in reality of all the things that I am hauling, nothing is really going to challenge my suspension or motor all that much. I am convinced that the salesman at the Honda dealership was blowing smoke up my ***....for the most part. Anyone want to buy a 1998 Scrambler 500 HO so I can go get me an IRS towing machine??

Old 10-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Range Rover

lostone1413, which one of your two quads do you like best? What year are they?

Quick Reply: IRS or Straight Axle.....