Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

IRS or Straight Axle.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IRS or Straight Axle.....

Went to the local ATV shop looking at all brands and models. Pretty much have decided on the Sportsman 500....anyway Honda guy trying the old sales pitch on me and says "Sure the Polaris machines ride better than the Hondas but if you are going to be pulling a trailer behind that ATV you are going to wish that you had a straight axle instead of the Independent rear suspension"...I didn't bother asking the guy because he was already pissing me off with the whole Honda is better, why you trading your Polaris if it is so good.....yak,yak. Anyway, I am slightly curious if he had any truth to his statement. I think it is all BS and the Polaris machines can pull anything just as well as any machine with a straight axle. Just wanting some opinions here. Thanks.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:23 PM
Range Rover

I find the solid rear axles more stable for hauling heavy loads on the racks or for riding on sidehills.I have never seen a real difference towing loads.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you can also buy something that will lock the two parts together...making realativly like a streight axle

Old 10-04-2003, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

About the only thing a solid axle seems better at to me is a more sporty ride. I pull logs (big enough that all 4 wheels were spinning) a loaded snowmobile trailer, 17 cu ft utility trailer with my independant. Most people agree that the pol has the softest ride. Polaris being heavier will out pull most anything, just make sure is in low range.

Old 10-05-2003, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

stubblejumper is right, a solid rear axle is better for pulling and hauling heavy loads due to the fact that it will keep the machine level when an irs machine has a tendance to load one side and cause it to lean heavily to that side. I'v riden a polaris with a deer on the rear rack and have it make me very uncomfertable on side hills and uneven ground. I can put much heavier loads in the rack of my vinson and never have a problem with feeling like im going to tip over or getting out of shape. It is also alot of fun to through the back end out around a corner, and power slide. thats just my two cents, im sure some polaris fan will wright back that thats all bull but in my experience its the truth.

Old 10-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Range Rover

The ride on an IRS machine is so superior that I wouldn't consider going back to a solid axle!

I own a remote cottage and I use my ATV for transportation, pulling heavy trailers and all the other things you use an ATV for in the woods. Before '97 I used a Kodiac and a Honda and was very pleased with the performance of both. But the harsh ride limited their use to smooth terrain and utility work.

The solid axle may have small advantages for different uses, although I have not seen anything significant. But no matter what you use an ATV for, you have to ride it!

Old 10-06-2003, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

ebel you rode two of the worst riding utility atvs. I invite you to ride my vinson where ever you want. I bet you'll be comfy and have alot more fun.

Old 10-06-2003, 03:14 PM
Range Rover

I went to a dealer last weekend that carried Polaris, Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. He said that the IRS doesn’t corner as well as the straight axle machines like the Kawasaki’s Prairie 650/700. He also heard that Yamaha may discontinue their IRS on the Grizzly. He recommends the Prairie over the Sportsman and Grizzly. Another dealer that sells Yamaha and Kawasaki recommended the Prairie over the Grizzly. I am not a Prairie fan yet, but I am looking for another quad to purchase.

Old 10-06-2003, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have IRS and i can throw my quad around liek a sport quad... Not much body roll if any at all

Old 10-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

I have a Forman 450 and my buddy has a Sportsman 500. His is faster and has a smoother ride. I find it tippy in the turns where its higher and softer sprung (He also added stiffer aftermarket springs as well as rubber inserts because he is 300 lbs + and he crippled the stock suspension when sitting on it). My forman clearly handles better, tongue weight is not an issue on my machine, it is on the sportsman because it collapses the suspension a little.

These tests were based on both of us riding both machines (BTW i'm 160 lbs)

Quick Reply: IRS or Straight Axle.....