Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

IRS or Straight Axle.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IRS or Straight Axle.....

They are both 2003 I really think they are equal The wife rides the sportsman 500 most of the time and I ride the Grizzly But I have rode the 500 enough to know it is equal to my Grizzly. I got the Grizzly instead of two Polaris because at the time they had a special on the winch. Me in Arizona I do almost all my riding in the mountains and I ride by myself 98% of the time so I wanted a winch on the one i'd be using You in Utah your riding will most likely be like mine so if you ride alone much to me a winch is a must. I haven't ever had to use it but if I do and only one time being out in the wilds it is well worth it. You read on the fourms that Polaris is better then Yamaha or the other way around it is BS Take it from someone who has both either one is a great machine. Being in Utah and me in Arizona the riding we do they better be the best and their are Take Care Chuck (Cottonwood,AZ.)

Old 10-11-2003, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

One of each! J/K![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It would be nice to have one of each if I had the money! Maybe in the future!?. Depends on what you will mostly be using it for. Test them out and get what pleases you.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

Scott - I'm really glad you brought up this discussion.

In 2000 my son and I each bought Sportsman 500's with IRS. We both loved them and rode the heck out of them on rocks, mud, water, flatland, steep hills, etc. This past spring mine was stollen and destroyed (dang jerks!!!). My insurance company finally made good and I purchased a 2004 Polaris ATP 500 five weeks ago. I was very concerned that I would miss my IRS machine. Well, I'm pleased to say that my straight axle ATP actually out-performs my old IRS 500. Yes, my new one is bigger. Yes, my new one is heavier. But it climbs better than my Sportsman did and feels MUCH more stable under me in the tough spots.

I just got home from our farm after a weekend with my son and we rode hard for 2 1/2 days. Half the time I was on my new ATP and the other half I was on my son's SP500. I love them both but my new ATP just feels more stable in just about every situation. And, man, we do get into some difficult situations!

I know first hand that the straight axle arrangement on the ATP pulls our trailers better than my IRS did but both are just fine. You're going to love anything you get. Enjoy.

Old 10-13-2003, 10:33 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for your input. I won't be doing much towing and I would like the better riding machine.

Old 10-13-2003, 11:12 AM
Range Rover

I have a SP500...I go riding with friends with a Honda and a Kaw.....They are traveling in front of me and we come to a narrow part in a ruff trail and one of there back wheels has to go over large rock or something ...this causes the other wheel to lift way off the ground..
when I go over the same spot my other wheel stay down on the ground...keeping my back end much lower...I saw this happen to one of them as we were starting down a steep hill and it looked like his bike would tip over ...has anyone else noticed this...????

Old 10-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Range Rover

I know when i've rode with straight axle ATV's when we would go up a steep grade that has a few ruff spots to go over i've never seen a straight axle as stable as IRS Maybe if you didn't have mountains and ruff trails and grades to go over a straight axle is ok but here with the mountains out my back door i'd have nothing but IRS

Old 10-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Range Rover

I know when i've rode with straight axle ATV's when we would go up a steep grade that has a few ruff spots to go over i've never seen a straight axle as stable as IRS Maybe if you didn't have mountains and ruff trails and grades to go over a straight axle is ok but here with the mountains out my back door i'd have nothing but IRS

Old 10-13-2003, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

I have a irs and staight axel, kodiak and grizz. and when it comes to pulling or ride, the grizz. wins hands down! As far as yamaha discontinuing the irs, its a crock!!! And if a salesman is telling you that, turn around and walk out the door! Whatever atv you decide to buy, make sure you feel good about the dealer, as well as the bike! I really like the irs, and I think you will too. Try both out, it dosen't cost anything for a test ride! Whatever atv you buy, it will be the one that is best for YOU, and not what others, including myself think is best. I wish I could be more helpfull, but you know, trust yourself, you'll make the right choice!

Old 10-13-2003, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

Good post Babycakes. It does not matter one little bit what we think - it's what you think that's important. They're all great machines and all manufacturers make one that's right for you.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

I could care less whether my ride is IRS or solid axle. Both our quads are solid axle and neither suspension has dissappointed me. It's all preference I guess.

-----------------------
1986 Yamaha Moto-4 225
2003 Suzuki z400