Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

2003 yamaha grizzly warranty voided

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 yamaha grizzly warranty voided

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] does anyone include valve lash as part of normal MAINTENANCE? or is oil changes, air cleaner, grease , and checking fluid levels normal MAINTENANCE. yamaha believes disasembling part of the engine normal MAINTENANCE.please see attached from service manual. plus buying "special tools" $210.00+parts at dealer for 20 hour service.I paid $7800.00 for quad with extended warrarty. I think it should run at least 6 months without paying for repairs.am i wrong?
1.Remove:
● Seat
● Front carrier
● Front fender
● Fuel tank
● Engine side cover
Refer to “SEAT, CARRIERS, FENDERS
AND FUEL TANK”.
2.Remove:
● Tappet cover (intake) 1
● Tappet covers (exhaust) 2
3.Disconnect:
● Spark plug cap 3
4.Remove:
● Spark plug
5.Remove:
● Recoil starter 13 - 14
6.Remove:
● Timing plug 1
7.Check:
● Valve clearance
Out of specification → Adjust.
Valve clearance (cold):
Intake:
0.10 ~ 0.15 mm
(0.0039 ~ 0.0059 in)
Exhaust:
0.15 ~ 0.20 mm
(0.0059 ~ 0.0079 in)
Checking steps:
●Turn the crankshaft counterclockwise with a
wrench.
●Align the “I” mark 1 on the rotor with the stationary
pointer 2 on the crankcase cover.
When the “I” mark is aligned with the stationary
pointer, the piston is at the Top Dead
Center (T.D.C.).
NOTE:
● When the piston is at the Top Dead Center
(T.D.C.) on the compression stroke, there
should be clearance between the valve stem
tips and their respective rocker arm adjusting
screws.
● If there is no clearance, rotate the crankshaft
counterclockwise one turn.
●Measure the valve clearance using a feeler
gauge 3.
CHK
ADJ ADJUSTING THE VALVE CLEARANCE
8.Adjust:
● Valve clearance
Adjustment steps:
●Loosen the locknut 1.
●Insert a feeler gauge 2 between the adjuster
end and the valve end.
●Turn the adjuster 3 clockwise or counterclockwise
with the tappet adjusting tool 4
until the proper clearance is obtained.
●Hold the adjuster to prevent it from moving
and then tighten the locknut.
●Measure the valve clearance.
●If the clearance is incorrect, repeat the above
steps until the proper clearance is obtained.
Tappet adjusting tool:
P/N. YM-08035, 90890-01311
T
R
Locknut:
14 Nm (1.4 m • kg, 10 ft • lb)
9.Install:
● All removed parts

Old 10-24-2003, 04:25 AM
Trailblazer

You don't need any special tool, and you don't need to take the front all apart. I can adjust my valves with normal tools in about 45 minutes and i take my time. It is MAINTENENCE! It's really not that bad at all. If you have mechanical experience that is. I did however, buy the tappet tools, not yamaha's, $20.00 All you have to do is take the gas tank off, you can reach the exhaust valves pretty easily without tearing the fenders off. If you're pissed about this, go look at some of the newer high-tech motorcycles and their valave adjustment tecniques. You'll be glad you don't have to do that...

Old 10-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Valve lash adjustment is as important or more important than changing your oil on a 4 stroke. Should be done after first 20 hours I think then at least once a year after that depending on how much you ride. IF you don't do this, the valve may not seat right and you run the risk of burning up a valve seat which is a pretty expensive repair.

Old 10-27-2003, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

what I am so pissed at is mark the service manager at great lakes said becuse i am not a certified atv tech and that yamaha won't have proof that it was done and done correct they will not cover the engine under warranty if anything else goes wrong. and trust me this quad is falling apart.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If you adjust your valves wrong, of course if something goes wrong you will be responsible. BUT, if you adjust your valves correct and your engine goes down there will be no signs of abnormal valve clearance being the culprit. It's like GM not warrantying their engine just because you change your oil....now if you leave your oil out and start the engine, GM would not cover it.

Old 10-28-2003, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mark at Great Lakes Motor Sports in Flint Mich wants you to spend your money.If you do your valves CORRECTLY,and DOCUMENT the date/Miles/and hrs,there is not a damn thing Mark can do to void out your warrenty.

These guys will tell you ANYTHING to make a buck.Dont be RIPPED off!

Old 11-04-2003, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to ATVing.

I adjusted the valves and changed the oil in our Rubicon at 100 miles, changed the oil again at 500 miles and every 500 miles since, including Honda oil filters and all o-rings and gaskets. Every 1000 I do a complete 1200-mile service. At 2000 miles changed coolant and differential fluids. The Rubicon will be do for its 4000-mile service in another 80 miles or one more ride. Our Rancher has the same service history but it only has 1100 miles on it. Paid a lot of money for these things and I am going to take care of them.

I have learned over the years to follow the manufactures recommended service schedules and record them. I keep a file for all our vehicles and ATV's that I save all receipts and invoices.

The worst thing that can happen is for you to have a trouble free ATV last for years, I also believe it adds to the resale if you do sell them.

Old 11-04-2003, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Specta
Welcome to ATVing.

I adjusted the valves and changed the oil in our Rubicon at 100 miles, changed the oil again at 500 miles and every 500 miles since, including Honda oil filters and all o-rings and gaskets. Every 1000 I do a complete 1200-mile service. At 2000 miles changed coolant and differential fluids. The Rubicon will be do for its 4000-mile service in another 80 miles or one more ride. Our Rancher has the same service history but it only has 1100 miles on it. Paid a lot of money for these things and I am going to take care of them.

I have learned over the years to follow the manufactures recommended service schedules and record them. I keep a file for all our vehicles and ATV's that I save all receipts and invoices.

The worst thing that can happen is for you to have a trouble free ATV last for years, I also believe it adds to the resale if you do sell them.

That's exactly right. I do the same thing.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

If you change the oil every 500 miles, how often do you do the valve adjustments? This is something I don't think I would be comfortable doing myself, but don't want to just take the dealers advice on. Otherwise, they will have me back at the dealer doing the adjustment too often. I will be buying a Kodiak within a couple of weeks! I am sooo excited.

Thanks,

Mpman[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2003, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I check the valve clearance every 1000 miles. Honda recommends every 1200 miles and the oil change every 600 miles. I do them at 500 and 1000 miles just because it is easier to keep track of.

Quick Reply: 2003 yamaha grizzly warranty voided