Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

warn winch broken (?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003 | 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default warn winch broken (?)

your battery is dead...

Old 12-16-2003 | 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

So, even if I can still start my ATV the battery does not have enough power to power the winch all the way to its full potential?

Thanks

Old 01-03-2004 | 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

Jaffrican,
If you'll coat those contacts with some dielectric grease when you put it back together it cuts back on a lot of that corrosion. It won't stop it completely, but it will help.

Old 01-05-2004 | 07:45 AM
Pro Rider

Why do they say to wire the hot winch wire to a key controlled wire on the quad instead of the battery? It won't drain the battery unless you're actually using it w/ the quad off.

Old 01-07-2004 | 02:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Actually, it will drain the battery. The solenoid wiring is the "hot wire" for the winch. When you turn your key on the old style solenoid would make a loud click or clunk sound as it engaged. I took mine and wired in a toggle switch and mounted my solenoid under my seat. The solenoid, old style, is basically a big relay. If you wire it hot all the time it is energized and merely waiting on you to tell it which way to send the contacts. If you wire it to a "key controlled" wire your solenoid will be engaged all the time. I put in the toggle switch to save the life of my solenoid.

Old 01-08-2004 | 06:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AKChappy
Actually, it will drain the battery. The solenoid wiring is the "hot wire" for the winch. When you turn your key on the old style solenoid would make a loud click or clunk sound as it engaged. I took mine and wired in a toggle switch and mounted my solenoid under my seat. The solenoid, old style, is basically a big relay. If you wire it hot all the time it is energized and merely waiting on you to tell it which way to send the contacts. If you wire it to a "key controlled" wire your solenoid will be engaged all the time. I put in the toggle switch to save the life of my solenoid.
So you're saying it will drain my battery? I've had mine hot wired directly to the battery for 3 months now and she's still going strong. What gives?

Old 01-08-2004 | 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

The Warn 2.5ci can not drain the battery if it were to be wired direct and not to a switched circuit. Reason being is that the hot wire feeds to the "In/Out" Switch. With the switch in a neutral state the power is dead-ended therefore no current is allowed to flow.

With the older units, the ones utilizing the old solenoid style, those would actually drain the battery as mentioned.

Ride On.

Old 01-08-2004 | 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You 95Wolverine. I was not aware of the new wiring arrangement on the 2.5ci.

Old 01-08-2004 | 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

No Problem. The 2.5CI is basically an A2000 with a wiring and relay change. You can buy an update kit (which I did). The new relay is a contactor that utilizes smaller (control) wiring to the actual in/out switch. No more HUGE Rotary Switch. Much better design and looks. The kit will update your A2000 to a 2500 lb winch as well.

Ride On.

Old 01-10-2004 | 06:33 AM
Pro Rider

I had a 99 wolvy with a Yamaha Warn 2000 and it had no relay. I never had battery issues.

I think I may look into that upgrade kit. Been eyeballing it in the mags [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: warn winch broken (?)