Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Military Uses of ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 02:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military Uses of ATV's

They should mount a machine gun on the front to shoot while driving. At least it had the gun rack. Do they ever drop them from the plane while in the air? Some 589's and camo tape would do that Rancher wonders. Maybe a bar mounted spot light. Thanks for sharing the pic, it was interesting.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:47 AM
Pro Rider

wow i didnt know that... so many diff brands... of course we call 'em "world market" units nowadays eh?
i'll bet it depends on who's in office too? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

hey senator, how do you like those flat fuel cells that you have on your back rack in the middle picture.

Old 12-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

RhinoOffRoad is correct. My nephew was in Afgan. (Army Intel.) and he told me the Polaris were failing
continuosly. He rode them on some recon missions and had two fail on him. Both were trany problems. When he came back he bought himself a Rancher, which is part of the reason I bought one also.

Old 12-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Trailblazer

AKFireman,

Those fuel cans are awesome! They hold 3.2 gallons. You can still stack stuff on top of them. They also make a potable water type that is white in color. Rockymountainatv.com or Cabellas.com sells them for around $65.00. Rocky mountain would not sell them to me in CA because they don't have a no-spill spout (CA law). I had to have it shipped to a friends house in NV.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

wow! rhino and woods, did you guys get that recent survey of a quad that looks like a little dune buggy? I wondered who it was.
it looks cool, like a little side by side dune buggy. i cant see how theyll keep it under 50" wide tho.
maybe a civilan version...

I'm not big on utes, but I'd like my Dad to have one of those Rhinos....he'd love it!

Old 12-07-2003, 02:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

This is the Polaris SP700 that the Military uses

Old 12-07-2003, 04:53 AM
Pro Rider

the one i saw on tape from Iraq had to be similar, cuz they loaded a stoakes crosswise on the back. I dont rem that weird rack sticking up tho.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

The military has issued new contracts for different versions of the Polaris 700, including the one posted by BigBadScrambler, so I doubt that they have been as bad as some have said.

When the US first went into Afghanistan, they were equipped with some Polaris quads, but they came under such demand that they went to ATV stores near their home bases and bought up everything they had. They also equipped as many as possible with all the Goodyear run-flat tires they could find. They bought examples of every brand on the market. They have run them hard and well beyond their rated load capacities, and that is why many auto tranny's failed, including Hondas, Suzuki's, and Kawasakis. The new Polaris that BigBadScrambler posted has a much beefed-up tranny in it. The environment that they are running them in is FAR more rugged and treacherous than many realize. They are also running them 24/7 vs. occasional weekend use that they see back home. They are putting thousands of miles on them very quickly. It is also one of the dustiest environments in the world, which doesn't help. They are also running them at high altitudes, so I would imagine that the EFI 700 is looking pretty good to the military right now and may have been the main reason that Polaris introduced it to the civillian market sooner than AC or others working on EFI.

I have a picture sitting here on my desk of an Arctic Cat 500 auto 4x4 being used by troops guarding aircraft in Kuwait. You'll find just about every brand represented over there.

Old 12-07-2003, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer

hey dan, whats the possibility of scanning the pic of the Arctic Cat and posting it for the non-cat fans, that would be a great pic to see.

Quick Reply: Military Uses of ATV's