Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Polaris ATP

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Polaris ATP

Looks like Polaris has a lot of great ideas. Saw one on ATV Magazine's TV show today.

They tied a bunch of stuff in the bed of it and then tied the same stuff on the back of a 500 HO (I think, but doesn't matter) and within 30 ft or so everything fell off the back of the regular ATV. Thought I was going to die laughing. When was the last time anyone used one bungee cord to tie that much stuff to the back of an ATV?

Maybe on their next show they should have a segment on how to tie camp gear to the rear rack of your ATV. I have seen 5 times that much on the back of one and never fall off.

A big bed like that could sure be handy sometimes. The un-locking rear diff looks good for a golf course maint crew. A lot of good ideas there.

Old 12-15-2003, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris ATP

Didn't know that, never seen an actic cat.

Old 12-15-2003, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris ATP

Thanks. Just two questions; Wouldn't a swing arm be better for hauling heavy loads? Mybe that is why the Polaris rear rack is rated for 400 lbs instead of the 300 that the arctic cat is. And I thought that the 500 HO was one of if not the fastest or most powerful out of the 500's. Maybe that is why it is rated for towing 200 lbs more than the arctic cat.

I would never buy either one. They don't fit my needs. But just from the specs it looks like the Polaris is a little more of a work horse than the ac.

But it definately looks like ac had the idea first.

Old 12-15-2003, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris ATP

I deffinately agree with the farming or camping for the swing arm or IRS. Is the IRS on the Cat stiff enough that is doesn't "squat"? Our friends with Polaris SP's the rear seems to squat quite badly when loaded down.

Old 12-16-2003, 03:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris ATP

Originally posted by: Specta
Thought I was going to die laughing. When was the last time anyone used one bungee cord to tie that much stuff to the back of an ATV?
That segment reminded me of the commercials and infomercials where people bumble around and injure themselves with tools/objects that mankind has succesful used for 100+ years. A guy nearly severs his hand with conventional scissors, but with the new, improved $19.95 Supremo Pro Scissors 4000 he never makes a wrong cut, and can in fact cut out a scale Eifel tower blindfolded. Rrrr.....

Still better than most things on tv on the weekends, even if they show the same clip four times in each segment. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2003, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris ATP

Originally posted by: RhinoOffRoad
Originally posted by: Specta
Looks like Polaris has a lot of great ideas.
you think thats a polaris idea? the arctic cat TBX has been out for 3 years now.
yeah and yamaha copied polaris' ranger, and irs, and trans, and a lot of other crap. also the TBX and ATP look a lot a like, but are very different, and btw it has a lot of polaris firsts also.

Old 12-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Polaris ATP

well it just seems to me that a lot of companys in the atv world will not do something until another company trys it first. and polaris does seem to take a lot more risks than the other companys, IMO.

Old 01-28-2004, 03:58 PM
Range Rover
Default Polaris ATP

I may be a polaris fan but I have one major thing to say. Just look at every magazine test done and look where polaris places compared to the Cats. Suzuki and Cats are always in the last on power and all. I've got the 500 h.o. sportsman and there isn't a 500 out there that comes close to keeping up with my H.O. My buddy had a 600 grizzly and it wouldn't touch my h.o. He now has a 660 so he would have a little advantage over me. Top end though my 500 h.o. runs side by side with his. Polaris is using much better parts on their atvs than Cats ever thought about. I don't see anyone else using Dana gears and so on. When polaris first came out with the sportsman magazines said it would take a harder crash than any fourwheeler without damage. I found it to be the truth this year. I hit a tree at about 30 mph. Had it not been for the full brushguard and polaris's square strong frame i would have totaled that fourwheeler. But instead I rode it out another 42 miles with a bruised ego.

Old 01-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris ATP

Originally posted by: RhinoOffRoad
the cat springs are plenty firm to work within their rack limitations. theyre also adjustable to add more if needed.
the polaris is also sdjustable.

Old 01-30-2004, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polaris ATP

Read in a powersports magazine that they gave ATP atv of the year. My question is What for!?. Absolutly nothing new for the industry, first box 4x4 for polaris but no biggy for atv industry.

Quick Reply: Polaris ATP