Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Are Yamaha's "Death Mobiles"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Yamaha's "Death Mobiles"?

Can't say that my old Big Bear is any worse than any other quad of comparable dimensions. Will lift the rear inside tire in a sharp turn, but so does any other live axle.

Gotta say that my Cat 500i feels a lot more stable in off camber riding than the bear, even though it sits higher and has IRS. It's also a lot WIDER than the bear, which really helps.

A friend's father in law rolled his 03 Grizzly last year, broke his leg big time. The fool tried to turn around on a steep hillside, just about any quad would have rolled trying that. Most rollovers are a driver problem more than a machine problem. Newbie buys atv, points it at a hill, hits the gas, and something bad happens.

Old 12-31-2003, 09:32 AM
Trailblazer

Yamaha's are no different than any other machine. Once you LEARN how your atv handles. You can't jump from EX. a blaster to a grizzly and expect to be able to control the machine. It's not going to happen. I think most of these people that think that, believe that they should handle like a sport quad. The Grizzly was my first machine, then i bought the kodiak for my girlfriend. The first 2 minutes i was on it i tipped it over, i was riding it like i ride the grizzly and these 2 machines handle very differently. But whoever says yamaha's are tippy, probably still believes in the tooth fairy j/k [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2003, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RedCondor
well buddy
my buddy has a kodiak and killed him self 3 times last year. ( boy i sound retarded LOL) but any way he is dead and now i hate yamaherhamers. but i think they are death traps. great for fish cover and bon fire stokers. or junk yard ornaments. and paint ball bunkers and huntin blinds.
Sounds to me like rider error, didn't he learn the first two times? it's just a machine point it and go.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

Let's face it, any bad rider can turn any type of ATV into a "Death Mobile"! Lets keep these posts clean! My kid looks at them.

Old 01-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Trailblazer

[quote]
Originally posted by: RedCondor
well buddy

Wow, how do I get mine to do that...LOL....Id stay on the quad 24 hrs a day.

You can kill yourself on a tricycle if you ride like a jackass...... Always comes down to rider error.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 01 Kodiak and must admit it felt a little "tippy" when I first got it. However now that I have learned the machine and how it handles I would have no problems what so ever buyin another one. As has been said before you gotta learn the "feel" of it. I have added spacers to mine in the last month, had to have them with the 27" mudlites, and it does give it a more stable feeling to me. I have 1" on the back and 1.5" in the front for clearing.

Old 01-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

I went riding two weeks ago w/ some guys who had Kodiaks. One had a brand new Kodiak 450, and the other guy had a year old Kodiak 400. After watching them, I would not recommend these quads for an inexperienced rider. Everytime they made a fast turn, the inside rear tire would lift. Before the ride was over, the guy on the Kodiak 400 had rolled it. I have owned a Honda Rancher, and currently own a Vinson and a Prairie 650. None of these quads have ever exhibited as great a tendency to lift a wheel in a corner. From what I have read, and seen, the front shocks are soft and allow the front to dip easily, which ends up lifting the back wheel. I imagine that if you can adjust the preload on the front shocks, the front end diving could be eliminated. The 450 Kodiak was fast and ran great, but I would not want to see an inexperienced rider on it. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

As recommended earlier.....keep your posts clean RedCondor. The next generation of atving could be gathering information and opinions. That kind of talk is not gonna be tolerated. Peace.

Old 01-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Adirondack
I went riding two weeks ago w/ some guys who had Kodiaks. One had a brand new Kodiak 450, and the other guy had a year old Kodiak 400. After watching them, I would not recommend these quads for an inexperienced rider. Everytime they made a fast turn, the inside rear tire would lift. Before the ride was over, the guy on the Kodiak 400 had rolled it. I have owned a Honda Rancher, and currently own a Vinson and a Prairie 650. None of these quads have ever exhibited as great a tendency to lift a wheel in a corner. From what I have read, and seen, the front shocks are soft and allow the front to dip easily, which ends up lifting the back wheel. I imagine that if you can adjust the preload on the front shocks, the front end diving could be eliminated. The 450 Kodiak was fast and ran great, but I would not want to see an inexperienced rider on it. Just my 2 cents.
Maybe you should let those to guys ride your quads and see what they do that would be a fair comparison

Old 01-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

After watching someone roll their quad, I think I'll pass on giving them a shot at either of mine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Are Yamaha's "Death Mobiles"?