Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Belt drive question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 05:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt drive question

OK, heres my take on the Polaris PVT. It is inexpensive and easly to maintain and modify. You can have a totally differnt acting machine just by changing springs and weights. Very tuneable. The belts arent nearly as expensive as Kawasaki belts, or the Yam belts. People are always talking smack about the Polaris belt drive. Well, they must be doing something right to be #2 in utility sales and to have sold as many machines as they have. Yes, some people have smoked their belts and have has problems with the belt drive. Buy, like I said earlier, as long as your clutches are in alignment and you are using the machine as it is intended to be used and use your head when you should be in low range, them you shouldnt have any problems. You shouldnt have problems with water getting in there as long as you dont go above the snorkel (located at seat level on the SP500) and your clutch compartment is sealed properly you should be fine. And if you were to get water in there, just pull the drain plug and rev it in neutral for a few minutes and you are on your way. NOT A BIG DEAL!!!

Old 01-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

big bad scrambler,
Thanks, Do you know much about the engine braking? Is it electricaly operated, or mechanical, or vacumn.? Does the drive pulley, open up and the belt falls into cogs on the inside of the belt?
On another area im interested in, on the polaris system of 4 wheel drive...When you flip the switch from 2wd to 4x4, and the back wheels slip, and the front engages, does it stay in 4wd? does it disengage if you back off the thottle or brake, or does it stay engaged until you flip the switch back to 2x4? Is there a differential in front, or is it like a spool, where the wheels are locked together?
Thanks for responing, like i said, im not interested in bashing, just learning more. I have a friend, who has a sp500, but hes not interested or mechanicly inclinded enough, to be able to answer many questions.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

This thread should help give you more info on the way the Polaris AWD works. It is a great system. There is no "differential" in the front. It is basicly a spool from what I understand. That is what the system is the way it is, to reduce steering effort when engaged. As for the EBS, I am not sure hoe that works. That would be a good question to post in the Polaris forum.

Old 01-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I might also add, that it happens so fast that you will never notice it engageing and disengaging. It is a well proven system

Old 01-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The only time I run in 4wd is in the mud. Thats where it counts for me. If I am on a slippery trail I will leave it in 2wd for da powersliding[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Bigbadscramler, thanks for the thread, i probably should have looked myself. Then i noticed some more, so ive gots lots of reading to do.

Old 01-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Anytime[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Something else i was wondering.... Is it possible to push start a belt driven wheeler? I heard someone say, that the yamis and ac and suzukis can be push started, because the belts are always in contact with the sheaves, but a polaris cant be push started. My wheeler, with a autoclutch can be push started. On a cold day thats about the easiest way to get a stubborn wheeler started.
Anyone know about this?

Old 01-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Never tried or had to. It has always started for me, and I got the pull start if it wants to start acting up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Oh, I should add that I can push mine while in gear, so I dont think that it can be push started

Quick Reply: Belt drive question